Aladdin's cave of machines to dispose of - help needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charles
Our postings crossed over - your list is correct but note that if it is a Super7B (with gearbox) there are no changewheels. I think if I were selling the lathe I would include the chucks etc.
Mike

Mike, would it be labelled 7B if it is one?
If not, what am I looking for... i.e. the gearbox - description?

I've just arrived at my SIL's so can have a look.

David
If you purchased a Super 7 from Myford and also ordered a quick change gearbox (which you have) then it is a Super7B part number 10/039. Note that there are 2 versions, the standard 19inch lathe and the long bed 31inch between centres (very uncommon). Both may be ordered with induction hardened beds - to check if you have this use a small needle file on say the corner of the bed near the tailstock and see if it removes metal or skids off. Seems a drastic step but I can't think of a better method apart from looking at the invoice which I guess you don't have. The hardened bed is very rare and should attract a premium.
The manual, which comes with the Super 7 (easily downloadable), does not mention 7B. There is a supplementary manual for the Quick Change Gearbox.
There are no markings on the lathe which refers to a Super 7B however the promotional material does as shown below.
Mike

1682341034560.png
1682341104155.png

The comprehensive folder of what appears to be all paperwork for every accessory ever purchased since 1979 tells me it's a 10/038.
In the early 90's a Quick Change Gearbox was added, then replaced FOC in 2001 by Myford when my BIL reported a paint defect. That's superb service after 6/8 years.
The folder holds a good service and maintenance record from purchase.

Last edited:
Well its still a Super 7B. To add a gearbox to a Super 7 requires the lead screw to be modified or replaced which is exactly how the Super 7b is delivered. There is no part number stamped onto the lathe and there is no reference to the B version anywhere on the lathe. I am on my second Super 7B so am familiar with the lathe.
You should sell the lathe as a Super7B - which is what it is. If you are not happy to do that, then sell it as a Super7 with a Norton quick change gearbox.
I am amazed that the original paperwork is still available - may I ask what the lathe cost all those years ago?
Mike

I am amazed that the original paperwork is still available - may I ask what the lathe cost all those years ago?
Mike

£613...

20230424_185538.jpg

20230424_185600.jpg

Note that it appears he ticked off each standard accessory. presumably as a check when received.

I'm up to item 38 of 45 on the list of (mostly) labelled machines/devices, if you recall (here: Machines ), adding values from eBay "sold" items mostly. Will publish it when I've finished to see if anyone can fill in the ones I cannot identify

There's a few I've struggled with, but what would this be used for? Is it as simple as a hand turned drill stand?...

View attachment 146301
At first glance I was thinking a sensitive drill, but the more I look at it I think it may be a tapping fixture.

David
I think it was more than £613. The lathe has a power cross feed fitted (£695) which I don't thing can be fitted after. It also needs the motor.
I think when you sell it you will need to be careful to include everything in the description. It has for instance got a 125 to 100 division dial on the handwheel. Very unusual but very useful if digital readouts are not fitted.
Mike

Here's where I am with the list of machines (see numbered photos: Machines ), excluding the Myford lathe & Fobco drill. Please agree or disagree with my rough values, mostly from SOLD items on eBay. Also, let me know any missing names/brand/model and/or value where there are blanks...

MACHINES PAGE 1.png

MACHINES PAGE 2.png

David
I think it was more than £613. The lathe has a power cross feed fitted (£695) which I don't thing can be fitted after. It also needs the motor.
I think when you sell it you will need to be careful to include everything in the description. It has for instance got a 125 to 100 division dial on the handwheel. Very unusual but very useful if digital readouts are not fitted.
Mike
Thanks, but how would I recognise such enhancements? I've been going through drawers today thinking "...is that something to do with the Myford?"
I'd like to get all the Myford accessories together in one area so as to (1) be handy for listing in the sales ad description and (2) be easily viewable by a prospective buyer. I could study the accessories catalogue as though it was a subject at school and try to memorise shapes but even then there could be 3rd party accessories.
Maybe I should assume anything I don't recognise as belonging in a normal workshop is Myford related?

I've now uploaded 131 photos of the largest machines, along with my numbered (incomplete) list, here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAxupQ
Grab a coffee and have a mooch...

My next step is to try and find values on the named items (make/model marked on them) and search for what the other machines/bits might be so as to do the same.

NB. There are some numbered items which go together; some model engine bits (5" bogeys; static engine); a few un-numbered bits; a few photos of the workshop cabinets filled with model train bits.
The item pictured just before the triple expansion engine and stamped with manufacturers code MA 1703/1 is a Myford Dividing Head, Worth quite a bit of money. The full set of four indexing plates, the 4" round discs full of circles of drilled holes, is worth as much again.

I agree with Charles
Super 7 should come with:- Face plate, 3 jaw chuck and reverse jaws plus key, 4 jaw chuck plus key, lead screw dial, tool holder (the basic clamp style with cutters and the adjusting boat although the Dickson/4 way toolpost would also be ok), motor and reversing switch, Myford oiler, raising blocks for the lathe feet and I would include the stand. This gives the new owner a working machine. everything else is a bonus.

Hope that helps
Mike
based on my experience selling off an estate with at least 100 times more stuff, you are much better off if you have the time to part out everything - there is almost nothing, including a perfect machine that is worth more assembled than parted out - at least if it is a recognizable brand - the estate sold about 60 grand to a guy who was starting up a machine shop, but he was not interested in a lathe with thousands of accessories for 20 grand - in the end the lathe went for $2,600 and the accessories went for about 45 to 50 grand - lots of aloris holders, bison and buck chucks, many new, and so on. In the end there was probably 20 to 30 grand of stuff that I had to abandon, the escrow closed and I never went back.

David
It seems to be an impossible task but it is actually not that bad. You are at a disadvantage of not having the familiarity with the tools but that may be overcome.
If you would like help then I strongly advise you to create photos of everything. These photos should be on a neutral background where possible (I use a decorating brownish sheet to provide a good background). I use my phone then crop the picture, export to my computer, paste into Powerpoint and annotate. I then save as a pdf. Remember that using the Windows key, Shift and s will allow you to capture an image or part of an image to paste into Powerpoint or to this site. Images should be numbered.
The condition of the items will also be a big factor in their value but from what I have seem they should be good although some items like the Quorn have surface rust. One item you seem to have missed is the Myford dividing head (part 1703/1) which always sells well. There should be 2 plates and an end support with the head. The raising block also should be sold with the head. See the accessories list for identification drawings.
The Multicut is also a good seller and seems to be in good condition. The Dore Westbury also sells well (photo 15,21,22 and vice 16)

Try to generate photos as shown below - these can also be used on eBay.

As always hope this helps.
Mike

Cowells saw 1.jpg

Thanks Mike.

Clearing the garage today, uncovered a stand (?) but for what? Anyone have an idea?...

20230425_100937.jpg

20230425_100954.jpg

Also, a never before seen (by my SIL) steam engine & boiler (I'm assuming). What is it, and any idea of value?...

20230425_102334.jpg

20230425_102324.jpg

Thanks all, as always.

The broken and 'repaired' casting, might get more clue from the other side, but I am inclined to think scrap. The two stands and a plank might make a nice garden bench (as a bit of a memorial).
The boiler - asbestos?!

David and the collective Forum
I can't identify the small steam engine. I have looked through the Stuart cat and it isn't there - at least not in my copy. It's a nice engine which I haven't seen before - pity about the rust.
Mike

David and the collective Forum
I can't identify the small steam engine. I have looked through the Stuart cat and it isn't there - at least not in my copy. It's a nice engine which I haven't seen before - pity about the rust.
Mike
The Stuart leaflet shows a No.1 but that's not what we found in the chest. I'll have another look at the kit box when next there. It may give more of a clue.

Latest posts

Back