Introduction

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlchapman

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been here lurking in the forums for the past year. Lot of great information and awesome projects.

Thanks to all the Posters who have done build threads and posted how they machine parts.

Background:
Close to retirement Computer Programming Manager. No training as a machinist. Electronics was my first schooling and jobs. Still active doing electronic projects at home. A lot of the electronics left the US, so I became a computer programmer. Also built and ran a Super Gas drag car. I also flew RC helicopters and planes. The RC world has fallen here with not many areas to fly.

How did I become interested in Machining:
I took a welding class at the local college 30 years ago so I could build my own race car. Thirty years later at work one day I mention welding in a meeting, a coworker mentioned her dad had taught welding at the local college. He was my instructor for a couple of semesters. A couple of days later we were talking again and her dad had past away a year ago. She asked me if I would help her liquidate her dads shop. For helping her sale most of her dad's equipment, six months later I ended up with a mill and lathe as payment plus some cash. She thought if we sold all her dad stuff she would make $200-300 for her sons college. Her son ended up with $6000 in his college fund.

I tried different machining operations with techniques I learned off Youtube. Then I watched a tutorial on machining a Stuart Progress and I was hooked. Have not looked back.

Then I found this website and enhanced my skills. A lot of stuff a beginner needs to know and how to do is discussed in the forums. Also the pocket book has taken a big hit:)

I always have multiple model engine projects going. So when I'm waiting for tools and metal I can work on something. Right now my focus is on the Webster. Thanks to Brian and Weworance for there build threads. My other project nearing completion is a Red Wing Farm hit-n-miss engine. Waiting for the MiniMag magneto to get here. I also plan on building the Hoglet and Upshur twin.

I live south of Provo Utah. Dont know of any clubs or events in this area. If we have some, please get in touch.

Thanks for the forums and the great posters on here,

Jerry

Picture of the Stuart Progess. Dont let the picture fool ya, I had to buy a new cylinder after breaking a drill bit off in the block. Then a cylinder cover after messing it up. Part of learning what not do to!
Progress.JPEG

Latest posts

Back