air engine powered bike?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenz

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a engineering student and i want to do a little research about air powered vehicles. I have searched already over the internet and found a lot.

What kind of compressed air engine would you recommend?
It is maybe the intension to build something if i have a good result at my research. Thats the reason i want to keep it simple.

The goal is to design a simple and economical engine with enough power to drive something like a bike. How less the air consumption how better, it don't have to be fast but a lesser air consumption gives a better range.

Al the information you have of ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm a engineering student and i want to do a little research about air powered vehicles. I have searched already over the internet and found a lot.

What kind of compressed air engine would you recommend?
It is maybe the intension to build something if i have a good result at my research. Thats the reason i want to keep it simple.

The goal is to design a simple and economical engine with enough power to drive something like a bike. How less the air consumption how better, it don't have to be fast but a lesser air consumption gives a better range.

Al the information you have of ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

I think Cfellows is the guy to talk to. He has built more than a few air engines and more than a few configurations of valving.

CHUCK!! You out there?

You will need a long hose on the compressor!!

But if you run out of compressed air, you can fill up again with the bicycle pump. Is that free energy?

Nick

And try not to cross any train lines Rof}

I read an article from an old bicycling magazine. a guy built a compressor/air motor into the bottom bracket of a bicycle . he sealed the tubes and used the bike frame as an air resivoir. the idea was place the lever in compressor mode on a downhill pedal and fill the tank. when going up hill place the lever in motor mode and you have power assit going up the hill.
do not remember the details.
Tin

Here's a bit of data to chew on for this project. This is data I've collected for my engines/compressor/air line hookups. Your results may vary.

Two engines are considered, one being 1.2" bore, the other being 2.25" bore. Strokes are roughly 2" and 3" respectively. I pump up a 20 gallon compressor to 135 psi. The small engine runs for 25 minutes, the larger one 10 minutes. This is under no load conditions at probably around 60 - 70 rpm.

Another factor to consider. Pro cyclists have been shown to generate 1/4 hp for several minutes. I'm not positive about the actual hp but you should know this information has been documented. So you can estimate how much hp you want, then choose an engine that will deliver it.

But all the time you're going to be playing with tank size for range and its associated weight that's going to require hp to haul around. Go short on the tank structure and you risk a high pressure blowout - avoid doing this:wall:

Good luck with your project.

Phil

I think you should have a look at Planet Mechanics website... a series that ran for one season on National Geographic in 2008. The show did an episode about designing and building an air powered moped used for innner city deliveries.

It was an interesting project, but not sure how much I'd want to ride around every day with a high pressure air canister between my legs..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43q70bKOsks[/ame]

http://natgeotv.com/uk/planet-mechanics/galleries/air-propelled-sandwich

p.s. The host was Dick Strawbridge who was a contestant on the awesome UK show "scrapheap challenge"... or as it was called when rebroadcast in North America Junkyard Wars... The later US version was also titled Junkyard wars, but it was complete crap compared with the UK version. If you dont know the show or the premise... look it up since I doubt there is a model engineer alive who wouldn't love the show.

There are two companies one in France and one in Australia developing practical compressed air engines. Both companies have small cars. If you do a search on this subject you will find many references and videos on the web.

First, Thanks for the reactions!

I think the hardest part is the air tank and capacity.
You need a big tank under high pressure,
A diving tank is a option, but you"re riding with a high pressure bottle. (100-200 bar)
The engine must be strong enough to drive the bike. You don't want a
homemade exploding engine.

But I think it's possible to make a high power air bike with a low range.
I'm gonna think about it and maybe build something or do experiments.

Thanks.

Think about this
If you say have a diving tank filled to 200 barg and you have your air motor set to run at 10 barg
You will need a pressure reducing valve to control the pressure to your motor
Also as the Air pressure is reduced from 200 barg to 10 barg it will lose energy and will drop in temperature equivalent to 1 degree Fahrenheit for every barg pressure drop. This can cause ice formation ( hydrates ) in the system and prevent flow of air . Compressed air does contain water unless it has been compressed using air dryers that take it to a reasonable pressure Dew point of say -40C
There is no easy way and that is why the compressed air car that was developed in France never took of . The cost of compression was just not economical. I have been involved in the CNG/Alternative Fuels industry for nearly 20 years and we compress gas to 250 barg for filling vehicles .

Food for though
Regards Ralph

Just don't damage a 200 bar cylinder...

[ame]http://youtu.be/tyINNUaXa8Q[/ame]

Latest posts

Back