Acid flux ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fryolux- a lead solder paint is £40 for 500 grams( just over 1pound weight) at trade factors like Cromwell Tools and very much less on E-bay. Perhaps the confusion lies in whether the paste is silver- for such purposes as jewellery or medical/dental applications or making boilers for model locomotives.

Cheers

Norman

In OZ the standard flux used to be called Bakers soldering flux and it was great on tinware, galvanised sheet and brass and copper.
I can be made by taking some hydrochloric acid(swimming pool) and throwing in a handfull of galvanised nails. You end up with a zinc chloride solution. Use plenty of nails so that the acid is effectively killed. Also called killed sprits of salts.
Cheers,
Kerry from OZ

In OZ the standard flux used to be called Bakers soldering flux and it was great on tinware, galvanised sheet and brass and copper.
I can be made by taking some hydrochloric acid(swimming pool) and throwing in a handfull of galvanised nails. You end up with a zinc chloride solution. Use plenty of nails so that the acid is effectively killed. Also called killed sprits of salts.
Cheers,
Kerry from OZ

Hi Kerry,
Its called that here too ! Not that I have seen any for sale recently.

Lots of options here. I should find something that will work. Thanks guts. Now if the weather would warm up so I could do some work...

There are many varieties of rosin flux and I use it all the time. First, there is no need to remove it except for appearance sake. Second, yes alcohol does work but most electronic supply places sell spray cans of flux remover which works even better and faster. I use an old tooth brush with either of them to scrub the flux off.

One caution: the solvent will carry the flux into any areas where it can penetrate. I have had fits with circuit boards where the flux was carried into switches and relays and built up an insulating layer on the contacts. I had to wash them down with a lot more solvent to wash it out. This is probably less of a problem with mechanical assemblies, but I can see where some parts would be adversely effected. So watch where the solvent/flux mixture flows to.

The good part about resin flux is the stuff is not corrosive and very safe to use. It washes off quite nicely with isopropyl alcohol.

...<snip>...

Bill

Latest posts

Back