A V8 Maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im hoping to get the webs milled tomorrow then i'll rest the crank for a few days before taking the main journals down to size ETC ETC.
Pete
PS
Here is a pic I forgot of the center hole setup, sorry guys
Notice the flat side of the bar that is clamped to the angle plate in order to get the holes all the same.
This length of Bar stock is almost 13 inches long and I used a machinist square to line it up before clamping and then used a wobbler to find the bar center.

still working away at the webs, still got a lot of metal to move.
Pete

Hi Pete,
comming along niceThm:

the thing with crankshaft, once your done, you have created
more chips then the actual part itself

with all the great casting your making, why didn't you cast
your crank;)

Hi Luc
Casting iron is another whole ball game buddy, My pot is made of an old bit of pipe with a bottom welded on, it would melt if I ever got it that hot!! :fan:
Im putting the crank aside to rest untill after ive done the flywheel and then I'll take the mains down.
I finished the Big ends 5 thou over in case I need to touch them up but i'll have a good look in a few days.
Pete

After milling the keyways and pressing on the end bearings I started work on a flywheel collet.
There will be a twenty TPI left hand thread on the end and four slots in the ten degree inclusive taper .
This photo really shows up the old girl at its worst as a previous owner has welded bits to the Chuck :mad:
Pete

had a go at the left hand thread today, twenty TPI on a .875 blank and parted off but ran into problems with the nut, just as I was coming to size my old lathe dropped the half nuts out.
I will try to chase it tomorrow but I might have to start the nut again:wall:
Pete

Thanks Jo :cool:
I took down that old bit of stock I scored for the flywheel to 4 inchs while I work out what its going to look like.
Looks like its been flame cut and stuffed an insert before I got under the skin :fan:
Pete

Hi Pete,
interesting to watch, I would like to see a picture with all the parts side by side
like a display. I've been checking your post everyday but seing a picture
of all the parts would be nice:)
keep the chips flying

Luc

Hi Luc
This Flywheel will be very interesting I think, it will have a 1.5 inch wide and .250 deep boss at the front that will have 4 ramps milled in it for .125 dia rollers.
The Starter will push the rollers up the ramps and lock the starter gear to the flywheel. once the Engine starts, the rollers will deramp and let the gear freewheel.
ummmmmmm I hope :fan:
I plan to attempt to harden the unknown stock in my furnace but if it wont harden I might go to a bolt on hard ramp section.

Hi Luc The next time I have everything apart I'll take a pic!
Today I put the 4 jaw in and reversed the flywheel turning the taper the other side and taper.
After that was done I setup the thrust washer in the mill and made it suit the two bearings im using on the flywheel end.
Pete

That pic shows its really coming together!

I'm struggling to find a satisfactory way to mount the milling attachment. My problem is that if I simply mount it where the toolpost goes my cross slide does not have enough travel to allow milling from one side of the attachment to the other. So I would t even be able to mill a simple channel. So I'm planning to build an adapter plate to shift the mounting location more central.

I'm enjoying this build thread, thanks for taking the time to post so many photos.

Dave.

Looking good Pete.

Can't wait to hear this thing running.

The crank poses a bit of a challenge hey, the one you made came out looking good.

When I pulled the pin on this engine I mounted a crank and a cam on a stand then gave them to my old man for a present.

He sits on his chair and just looks at them sitting in the china cabinet in his dining room reminiscing.

The old boy is a severe petrol head from the olden days
(as my son says)
Always chatting about the Ford flathead V8 days and his old BSA 500 single converted to dirt bike.

Keep up the good work mate.

Cheers,
Baz.

Does your Compound have slots Dave?
either way if I can be of any help , give me a Yell!
Hi Baz
Did you use the Sheet specs for the Cam Mate ?
Im tossing up building a Cam grinder and grinding all my future ones.
Pete

Pete
come on, the second one is a trick picture dont trell me you were using 2 way face take to hold your
timing cover to your mill tableRof}Rof}

Latest posts

Back