a small torch

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bentprop said:
I have one of those pencil torches,but my biggest problem seems to be getting enough gas into the thing.It never seems to take a full fill :-\

Bent,
I may be stating the obvious here, but when you're filling them, you are holding the butane canister upside down? I almost gave up on my Radio Shack butane soldering iron as I was trying to fill it pointing up... facepalm moment!

For those who don't know, the butane in the canister is a liquid, and will therefore be at the bottom of the canister. Maybe there are directions on the canister, I never looked, cause I'm a man, and that's how I roll.

Matt

One of the best tricks to filling these little buggers is to put the torch in the freezer for about an hour before you fill it. Take it out of the freezer and immediately fill it with the butane cannister turned upside down. This way you'll be able to fill it almost completely with liquid butane and it'll last much longer. The only shortcoming to using this technique; after you've filled it this way, you'll have to let it come up to room temperature before it'll burn nicely. Butane, unlike propane, doesn't like cold temperatures to vaporize properly.

Latest posts

Back