A portable engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

I have always fancied having a go at a portable engine, I just like them. Way back in July 2009 I asked a question here on Hmem re plans.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=5456.0

I can't believe that was 2 1/2 years ago, doesn't time fly when your having fun.

Anyway having spent a good part of this year on tooling projects its time to get back to modelling. I am going to build a portable engine (freelance) with the boiler based on the type used on the Sissons portable engine which was serialised in the Model engineer magazine in July 1999. Casting kits were supposed to be available to build this model but as far as I can see they never were. The boiler is of a simpler type which I am confident is within my current skill level as opposed to the more complicated loco style of boiler. I won't be using any castings, I intend to fabricate everything. I won't be building exactly to the published plans, I shall be taking artistic licence, and using available materials. I may well take ideas from other types of portable engine as I progress and modify as necessary. For example the original plans call for a boiler diameter of 4 inches, I have sourced a piece of copper tube at 4 1/4 inches so I will have to make some modifications there and redraw the plans to suit.

Now before I go any further a question for our moderators. I own the magazines that the article was published in. Can I show sections of the plans to illustrate what I intend to do?

Cheers

Ric

It will be good to see this one get going.

Brunell were saying that they were going to be doing castings for the Sissons a while back but can't see anything on their site now. May be worth an e-mail as Graham may have or know the wareabouts of patterns, though he's not known for getting back to customers :(

I wouldn't mind seeing a pic either on the board or just PM'd.

J

I started a Sissons when the series was running, but didn't go on with it for some reason - probably got distracted onto something else. Should have a boiler barrel and a couple of bits and pieces down there :hDe: somewhere!

Hi

Tel, if you can dig it out I'd like to take a look.

Jason, thats right Brunell were going to do the castings but gave it up for some reason. As for pics I have googled several times trying to find a photo of a Sissons but always come up blank. We'll see what the mods say about showing extracts from the article.

Cheers

Rich

I built a Sissons portable when it was being serialised in ME in 1999, I have worked as a draughtsman all my working life and allways impressed on people the importance of working to drawing so that any errors could be rectified. I did just that and found when the boiler was finished that the safety valve went right through the centre of the chimney, so beware as I had to put up with an offset chimney, but it looked OK and worked fine.
I fabricated everything from scratch, but made the crosshead trunk guide and crank bracket in two pieces bolted together using steel for the guide and light alloy for the crank bracket. Most other parts were made to drawing with only minor changes.
Hugh

Hi

Thanks for the tip Hugh, I'll watch for that. I will be using a piece of copper tube larger than the plans call for so I will have to redraw the plans anyway. Have you got any photos of your model, I would love to see it.

Cheers

Rich

As far as copywrite Ric. If you only show bits and pieces of the dwg, it's probably OK.

Full blown posting fo dwgs or pictures of full dwgs would probably get us in some hot water....less is better.

...on a personal note, this thread will probably the cheapest advertisment the plans have ever gotten...talk about target audience. ::)

Dave

I do not know if this is the model in question or not Rich, but here are a couple of images I took in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa in '05. Wish I had taken a few more of it but I was in a bit of a bind for time and it was 'shoot and go' situation.

BC1
Jim

DSCN0816.JPG

DSCN0817.JPG

DSCN0819.JPG

Hi

That's the sort of thing Jim but that one has the loco style of boiler which is a bit beyond me at the moment. I do like the wooden wheels though.

Dave, that was my intention to just show any relevant bits, I'll stick a couple of bits up and see what you think.

Jason, thanks for the link I'll go and join them now.

Cheers

Rich

Hi

This first image is what the Sissons portable engine looks like

Image4.jpg

The second image is of the boiler type.

Image2.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Hi

Jason, I signed up to Traction Talk but I can't view the images. They are asking me to make a donation??? towards the upkeep of the site. At the moment I am quite happy with being a member of HMEM and feel I would not benefit from paying to join another. It looks to be a really good forum but I can't justify the expense or find the time to make it worthwhile just yet. Thanks for the link anyway.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Jason

I have just looked through Preston services web site. th_confused0052 th_confused0052

I want one, any one will do, just deliver it when the wifes out.

Cheers

Rich

Ah yes forgot about that being a donating member, you will still be able to see any photos in posts but not ones that are done as attachments. Do have a look around in both the full size and model sections, I correspond with a gug in Australia who is well advanced with a 2" Ruston portable, all from scratch except the flywheel, I'm sure he will chip in with any construction details.

Regarding the other matter if you have been a good boy who knows what Santa may bring ;)

I'll snip that photo and PM it to you.

J

Managed to find the photos a the similar looking Seeking portable on teh web

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

That's very close to the money, innit!

Had a look for my few bits yesterday, but they haven't surfaced yet

Hi

Found a little bit of info

W. Sisson & Co. Ltd. was established in 1889 by William Sisson, who had taken over the small marine engineering works of J.J. Seekings & Co. near the docks. Noel S. Fowler's grandfather, R.S. Fowler, was apprenticed to Seekings & Co. in 1871 and worked at Sisson's until his retirement in the early 1920s. P.S. Fowler, Noel's father, became chief draughtsman for the firm in 1914, was appointed as managing director in 1946 and retired in 1958. Noel was apprenticed as a draughtsman in 1932 and retired in 1967
In 1958 Bellis and Morcom Ltd. acquired all the shares of Sisson and Co. as the culmination of twelve years of co-operation between the two firms [see D5748/1/3 and D5748/3/26]

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich
When I built the Sisson in 1999 I did`nt have a camera or a computer so did`nt take any pics, but now I have both. I still have the model so will dust it off and take a couple of photos. I have successfully put a few photos on photobucket, but when trying to put them on HMEM they have come out the wrong size, but will give it a go and if I get it wrong may be you can put me right, I may take a few days.

Hugh

Latest posts

Back