A new engine for fall---

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats a good looking engine, i was one of the people who voted for the angled base but after seeing the new flat base i agree it looks more the part for your engine. it runs so well in the video. great job.

I used a piece of my bronze stockpile to carve out a gas tank mount. I set it up to have a 1 1/4" i.d. and chose a 6" long 1" pipe nipple which has an o.d. of 1 5/16" to make the tank from. The pipe is galvanized, but that doesn't matter, because when I turn the o.d. down to 1 1/4", the galvanized will be all machined away. I also picked up a brass 1/2" pipe nipple to become the gas tank filler spout. I could have bought the 6" long pipe nipple in brass, but it would have cost $21 as opposed to the $3 I paid for the galvanized steel one.

Here we are machining the o.d. of the pipe in my lathe, after cutting the threaded ends off. I don't like machining with something sticking out of the jaws that far, but the "thru the spindle" hole in my lathe is only 1 3/16" and the o.d. of the pipe was 1 5/16". So---Take light cuts and hold your breath a lot, being ready at all times to "Duck and cover". Once I got the o.d. turned to a finished diameter, I pulled out my seldom used steady rest and set it up to counterbore the ends of the pipe for brass end caps.
I used a piece of my bronze stockpile to carve out a gas tank mount. I set it up to have a 1 1/4" i.d. and chose a 6" long 1" pipe nipple which has an o.d. of 1 5/16" to make the tank from. The pipe is galvanized, but that doesn't matter, because when I turn the o.d. down to 1 1/4", the galvanized will be all machined away. I also picked up a brass 1/2" pipe nipple to become the gas tank filler spout. I could have bought the 6" long pipe nipple in brass, but it would have cost $21 as opposed to the $3 I paid for the galvanized steel one.

Last edited:
Looking nice Brian can't believe how fast you can put one of these together

Jeff

I like the fuel tank and mounting. Will be very rigid and no flexing.The more I look at your new engine,the more I want to build it. Just cannot resist. Building a good engine.

(Day Four. Trying to improve sparks.)

I have been asked by a machining magazine to present an article on this engine for publication. As a consequence of this, I have had to put together an "overview" drawing of the engine with the maximum envelope dimensions and information about bore, stroke, etcetera. This morning I took the time to add the gas tank and a couple of minor components that were not shown previously. The build of this engine is finished, but since I have never actually posted this final information, I am attaching it to the end of the build thread.---Brian

Last edited:
Congratulations definitely in order. Great job Brian! Keep us posted to what publication this will appear in.

John

Has anybody had a problem downloading the plans from the web hosting site I use, filefactory.com? I have a chap in Wisconsin who says it is not possible for him to download them. I don't now if there is something wrong at the download site of if it is a security setting on his computer.--Brian

I also downloaded it fine but IMHO I think it's a confusing process fraught with misleading information and traps . Don't use the FAST download option. It took me to a trap of advertising. Also in the SLOW download it dicks around for quite a while apparently "putting the download together" but then you actually have to use another download button which is slightly down the page to get it to actually transfer.

Brian: I wouldn't use this site again. There must be another one out there that's less confusing. Is there some reason you don't use the actual download space provided on HMEM? (other than anything you put up there is out of your control and becomes the property of HMEM).

Since you are so prolific may I suggest you pay a few bucks per year for some hosted file space of your own that you can create a link to. I get unlimited file space with my website and the cost is minimal. This way I create a link, my info is under my control and I can cut it off anytime.

Sage

dsage--I am going to have to find a different site to upload my drawings to --there is just too much horse #### involved with the site I am currently using. The reason I don't upload them here is that I post on four different machining/modelling sites, and I want the downloads to be available to all of them. I don't make any money from posting these plans, so I try to use free sites, but it seems to be becoming more and more difficult to find a free site that is not over-ran by spam-ware and misleading advertisements.---Brian

Last edited:
Brian:

That's a good reason to not post them here. I hadn't thought.
There are lots of web hosting companies out there. I use Netfirms.com but I'm sure you've seen ads for places like GoDaddy etc. I get unlimited space for a webpage - which you may be so inclined to produce - or you could just use it as on-line storage. I have davesage.ca
Your "stuff" would then be linked to a web name of your choice maybe BrianRupnow.ca or even BrianRupnow.com is available :)
Believe it or not davesage.com was already taken. Who'd have thought.
Any way the whole thing is only $12 CAD per year (on a three year term).
One good thing is you'll have control over what is available. The second you remove it from your server it's gone to the world.
I guess there's other ways of doing it but that's what I did.

Dave Sage

Hi brian sorry to butt in again but dont know how to send private messages
I have not recieved any plans so assume a problem somewhere
Regards Barry

I was able to download from that filefactory site, but I agree it was a major PITA. Not to mention there seemed to be two copies of the identical files; same name, same size, uploaded within a day of each other. Are they indeed different?

Is there a "general assembly" drawing as well?

One unrelated question, that you might have answered elsewhere.. What CAD software do you use? Drawings look quite nice to me.

Bouch--I just downloaded from the filefactory site myself to see how much trouble it was. I selected "slow download" and other than having to listen to an audio of some fool trying to sell something, the download went perfectly and took about 15 seconds. In the download, you are only interested in the pdf files--NOT the folder. The assembly or 'General Arrangement' is titled "Side Valve Assembly--Solid Crankcase". ---I use Solidworks as my CAD package. The drawings SHOULD look nice. I've been doing this for 49 years.---Brian

As I posted earlier, I managed the download fine but I agree it was a pain. I too used the slow download option but I had to hit the download button twice on 2 different pages, wait for a 30 second timer and then it downloaded. It also popped up a second window with advertising. It seems user experiences can vary on that site.

Latest posts

Back