32x40 H Gas engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Brian

Just read this from the start, nice engine and it looks like I'm going to see it run very soon, great work.

Dave

Same as Dave just read this from the beginning a great job on this project

will there be any plans for download ?

Steve

Reactions: gus
Hi Dave and Steve
Thanks for the nice comments. It helps during those times when things are not going as planed, to know someone is interested.

When the project is running to my satisfaction. it will be a plans book, so far I have taken over 300 photographs and done nearly 40 individual A4 plans. this will be distilled into a book with building notes. It will not be expensive. and all registered builders will have access to me through my web site. see bottom of page.
A way to go yet. the ignition and gas demand valve to make and a few bits of tidying up to do ,but we are getting there.
Brian.

Did some work on the Cup that takes the oil from the drip feed down into the collector ring on the crank.
and the spark plug arrived so that's the jobs for tomorrow sorted out if it's not to cold in the shop it's minus 4° c at the moment, not normal Med weather.
Brian.

P1013064.jpg

P1013058 (2).JPG

On with the small jobs , the second cup that feeds oil to the cylinder was mounted and the case reassembled.
the cylinder head required further work to improve the cooling , I had to wait until the position of various components where firmly established before cutting away more of the material whilst the head was stripped I took the chance to lap the valves into the seats, the lapping compound for this was made by dissolving some buffing soap in paint thinning's then adding a little oil as the thinning's evaporated. it was very successful. further work has been done on the carb installation.
I am now waiting for the ignition components from MiniMag and the diaphragm for the gas control valve.
Installation if ignition components including advance and retard have to be worked out.
Nearing the end I now have to return to all the jobs that where skipped I:E: radius various components to stop them looking like a cubist sculpture. De burring and removing tool marks E.T.C.

The radiator and silencer can be done after the engine has had a test run, only then can I un cross my fingers and use two hands to finish the work.

Brian

P1013063 (2).jpg

P1013064 (2).JPG

P1013065.JPG

The work shop is just to cold for long jobs so I have done a little work on the odd jobs that I have been ignoring, Hoping the magic fairy will do them.
Water outlet and exhaust stub. are done, water inlet and ignition control still to do, also the gas demand valve, but it's getting there.

Note it's on my desk not in the shop.

Brian.

P1013076.jpg

Brian--It is cold here too. Yesterday was the coldest 23 Feb ever recorded for this part of Ontario, Canada, since they started keeping records in the 1970's.--Brian Rupnow

No work in the shop today, Took time to get a few drawings done.
The ignition components arrived, so the ignition timing quadrant was laid out. if it warms up I will make that tomorrow.
Progress is slow but its getting done gradually,
Brian.

P1013080.JPG

A little more today the ignition quadrant with its magnetic pick up is installed this will allow the ignition to be controlled by a leaver at the rear of the engine.

Brian.

P1013082.JPG

No a lot to show for today, but the temporary cooling tower is finished , made from a old fire extinguisher from the boat . cleaned up a few things that needed de burring. waiting for a unf tap that has been in the post for three weeks. and a video cube camera that is still not due for two weeks.:rant: this waiting is getting to me . Brian.

P1013083.JPG

The leaver for the advance/ retard is now in place.
Post arrived today with the tap for the gas demand valve , so that's tomorrows job then I think I have run out of excuses not to give it a spin. apart from I am still waiting for a video cam in the post.:rolleyes:

Brian.

P1013084.JPG

We have a runner. now I need to find out how to upload vid's.
Brian.;D;D;D

P1013073 (2).JPG

Video is on youtube [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtX0KFoT5hE&feature=youtu.be[/ame] see if it works

brian

Brian,
I think at some tome in the past I read some of your post but read back through to recap. This build is very impressive, and runs verrrry smooth.
Art

Hi Brain,
Engine runs very smooth and solid w/o clanking away. Very solid thuds and putts. This one engine I like to build but no way with my mini lathe and mill.

After the test run I have now fitted the piston rings and started the job of tidying up and painting the cast iron parts also a cover has yet to be made for the crank case so the engine can be run for extended periods.
Lots more to do. Brian.

P1013073 (3).JPG

At last I have managed to get free of the computer tidying the drawings and doing the shop notes took longer than I expected but it's all done and plans are available. the engine now has it's rings fitted and runs just fine the idle is OK but I think that the silencer has to be just right to get the best idle . I am in the process of editing a new video but it's a case of old dogs and new trick's.
However here are a few photos to go on with.
And thank you to all that have given support during the build
Brian

P1013079 A.jpg

P1013080A.jpg

P1013081A.jpg

I now have about 70 mins running on the engine and am slowly beginning to understand the gas carburetion.
The demand valve has required a little attention getting the diaphragm positioned relative to the control valve.

Then the supply pressure gradually was reduced from 3 psi down to just under 1 psi and may go lower yet.
Each time I alter something in the supply, the mixture controls require resetting. and are becoming more responsive
When I made the carb I had to take a few guesses as to the size of the jets required because unlike liquid fuels that have to change into gas the jets have to be larger,
I have found that it is unnecessary to use fine needle valves Just a simple flat ended screw passing the control orifice is all that is required.

So far I am very happy with this system it is so easy and clean to operate.

I will continue with the adjustments as the engine runs in but as I see it in the future liquid fuels are a no no for me.

Brian.

Latest posts

Back