2 Cylinder Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShedBoy

Reaction score
Messed about with some foam and ali today and got a engine block for my troubles. Engine is based on a plan I have in a reprinted book from 1933. 25mm bore and stroke.
PIC_0034.jpg

Do something with it next week. Back to work tomorrow :'(

Brock

Any more info on this engine? Is it double acting? Vertical... Horizontal?

Chuck

Chuck the engine is from a book I bought called unusual projects from the first year of model craftsmen magazine 1933.
DSC00617.jpg

This is what it looks like. It is a single acting high speed marine engine. I am making a metric version with a few changes. The block is going to be square shaped (simple) and I will be using bearing for mains. I wanted to cast something. When I go home I will cast a sump and valve chest. The valve chest will hopefully be bronze or brass.

Brock

The monolithic block has been sitting at my computer looking very boring so I had a go at making another more to the picture.
PIC_0047.jpg

PIC_0048.jpg

PIC_0049.jpg

This was the second go at it the first had some issues, this one may need a touch up with some weld but it should be okay :-\.
For all the foam building check out this thread called lost foam. The monolith is still looking at me but now has a companion. May be another engine in it
Brock

Got some shed time today :) First up was fix that casting error
PIC_0050.jpg

Hit it with the die grinder and roughed it up a bit
PIC_0051.jpg

I am getting better with the tig
PIC_0052.jpg

Flycut the top
PIC_00053.jpg

Same on the bottom.
PIC_0054.jpg

Faced the sump in the 4 jaw as it was easier to grab solid
PIC_0056.jpg

Bolt together
PIC_0055.jpg

Two become one
Brock

Cleaned up the sides
PIC_0057.jpg

The rear end was clean in the 4 jaw on the lathe. The front had to be done in the mill because the valve drive mount is in the way. Next job was to remove the centre so the crank has somewhere to spin. If I done this again I would dig out the foam to save some time.
PIC_0059.jpg

Set up for angled sides.
PIC_0058.jpg

One side done, one to go.
PIC_0061.jpg

PIC_0060.jpg

Done. Time for the sump while the vice is set up.
PIC_0062.jpg

First side.
PIC_0063.jpg

How i set it level with the jaws. The maget hold the jaws and slide as you tighten. One less hand required ;)
PIC_0064.jpg

After finishing the bottom I thoght I would take advantage of my sloping casting and put a drain groove in it. I just pulled the deeper end up a couple of mm.
PIC_0064.jpg

Then cut the groove.
PIC_0065.jpg

Said groove.
PIC_0066.jpg

I think they look okay 8)
PIC_0067.jpg

Back with the monolith near the mouse. Back to work for a week tomorrow :(
Thanx for looking in.
Brock

I see that you have the same "Tilt-a-Whirl" vice that I have. They are not a real great vice for accuracy, but they sure are versatile!!!----Brian

They must of had a world wide special as I have 1 as well ;D
Pete

I find the vice only as accurate as the setup applied. It certainly is solid when locked down. I need one a bit smaller though as this one weighs about 25kg.
Brock

Got some more done on this one.
PIC_0069.jpg

Serious overhang figured it would be okay as it is not continuous all the way.
PIC_0070.jpg

Forgot to take a finished pic but it came out fine.
PIC_0071.jpg

Started on some bearing carriers.
Brock

Got the bearing carriers done nearly just need to drill some holes and clean up the outside faces
PIC_0072.jpg

PIC_0073.jpg

Front in
PIC_0077.jpg

PIC_0076.jpg

PIC_0075.jpg

Some precision ground bar to check alignment so far so good. Hope it spins okay once bolted down :-\
More later
Brock

Decided to take a break from bearings for a bit a started on the crank. The plan said CRS flat bar or round and doesn't mention any hardening, I decided on flat but I didn't have 1/2" thick only 10mm. The journals are all 8mm so I guess it should do. This is my first go at turning between centres so I quicly whipped up a drive pin to go in the chuck mount holes.
PIC_0006.jpg

PIC_0007.jpg

Does the trick :)
PIC_0078.jpg

Marking out
PIC_0079.jpg

Removed a heap with the mill
PIC_0080.jpg

Ready for the dreaded intermediate cuts. Found a seat to go in front of the lathe. Was not looking forward to this bit.
PIC_0081.jpg

Overhang :-\
PIC_0082.jpg

Some time later one is done.
PIC_0083.jpg

This is where it sits at the moment, just need to polish it to final size then start on the rest. I think it is going okay so far.
Brock

Got some more time on the crank this arvo. Really sick of intermitent cutting.
PIC_0085.jpg

Big ends done, set up for mains
PIC_0086.jpg

PIC_0087.jpg

I am nearly happy
PIC_0088.jpg

PIC_0089.jpg

Now just need to fit it to the other bit. I am happy with my first attempt at turning a crank but it takes alot of patience. Don't know how I would go at something with more throws. Thanks for looking in.
Brock

Very interesting post Brock. I never thought that aluminum castings that ugly on the outside could be cleaned up into decent engine parts. Don't take that as a put down in any way, please. My previous experience with aluminum casting was with Volkswagen of Canada, where we used H13 steel die-casting molds for our aluminum wheels, and they were always very clean appearing fresh out of the molds, with no visible porosity or rough surfave finih. They then went directly to the big CNC lathes that cleaned off about 2mm of material and left beautiful sparkling wheels, which went directly for clear powder coating. My education continues------Brian

No offence taken Brian :) I am new to casting but enjoying the journey. I call it a 5metre casting, it looks good at that distance :big: The picture shows up with alot of shadows which don't help. I am having fun which is what matters to me. The sump does have some porosity but I think the min bearing carrier sorted it.
Brock

Hi Brock
If u push ugly hard enougth, it becomes beautiful :big:
nice job Mate
Pete

Beauty is just a light switch away :big:
Question for the masses, is bronze okay for making conrods?

Brock

metalmad said:
Hi Brock
If u push ugly hard enougth, it becomes beautiful :big:
nice job Mate
Pete

Except for "Nuff Nuff" ;D (If you served in the RAN during the 50's-60's - you know who I mean)

Best Regards
Bob

It's nice to see other guys casting come out as rough as mine do. but hey at least we didn't pay top dollar for them and if you mess that one up there's plenty more in the sand box were that came from. cant wait to see it all finished. olllllo

Latest posts

Back