1/8th inch copper tubing and fittings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black85vette

Reaction score
Having trouble finding tubing and fittings around here. Home Depot and Lowes only stock 1/4 inch. Even Ace Hardware only has 1/4 inch. Any suggestions?

Possibly a hobby shop or crafts store.

I don't think I've seen copper, but have seen brass, aluminum and stainless steel. That doesn't mean they don't have it, I haven't been looking for copper so didn't "see" it.

Look at ace again I bought some tubing 3/32 and 1/16 in one foot lengths there. Tom

I used to get 1/8 copper tube at my local hobby shop. They had 1 foot lengths of it in their K&S brass tubing section. My LHS changed hands a while back as they don't keep it stocked very well anymore so I ordered some. I have bought from two places.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=copper+tubing&search=Go
http://www.mcmaster.com

You have to drill down through the mcmaster search to get to it "copper tubing" select OD ect as I can't link directly to the page for some reason.
Mcmaster has 1 and 6 foot lengths. Tower only has 1 foot lengths.

I have found only a limited selection of fittings, but I never looked too hard as I mostly make my own.

Gail in NM,USA

You could try the local refrigeration repair shop. They use a little coil of copper pipe to connect the pressure switch on industrial refrigerators. Usually the come with a nut on each end to connect to the system.

Helder

model shops are where you might find some, I bought some 2mm stuff a while ago, they had 2,3,4mm in both brass and copper.

Giles

Thanks GailInNM. McMaster is just what I needed. 3 and 6 foot lengths and all the brass flare and compression fittings to go with it!!

ill second the auto parts house. but you ask for copper line for the oil gauge

My local NAPA has 1/8" copper tubing in bulk roll and cut off what you need and the fittings are in the big cabinet drawers with all the other brass fittings. My local store has that out as a self serve since most people know what they want but don't know the proper name to ask for.

Some of the oil pressure line has a thick wall and leaves a very small ID if being used as a steam line. Just be sure that it is suitable for your application. I use the 0.014 wall thickness for steam dryer line on Gauge 1 model locomotives feeding 1/2 inch bore cylinders. Be sure to anneal it often if you are making small radius bends as it all work hardens rapidly when being bent.
Gail in NM,USA

I have 1/4" copper it was real common in, in the wall air lines with soldered fittings for building temperature control, It is also used as potable water lines. Along with the sweat solder fittings. It comes in K and L type/pressure hard line style pipe. The 1/8 is tubing coiled but they still have solder type fittings for it. Again it is used in air and potable water.
I will have to find the 1/4" fitting I have the pipe was in 60" sticks. the 1/4" was of a non bendable normally. The 1/8" was normal tubing.

It was sold by refrigeration and pneumatic building control supply shops.

But if you want to look and see what is available, Check out McMasters-Carr
They have all the pipe and fittings. In copper, aluminum, brass and iron in 1/8" and up.
http://www.mcmaster.com/index.asp

Sorry to say they are no longer sending to Canada.
glen :big:

I get the small quantities of 1/8" and 3/32" copper tubing at Hobby Lobby-- waay in the back past the froofy picture frames and decorative glotch they have a tiny model section and a small, but often re-stocked K&S rack. There's pretty much a permanent 20%-off-one-item printable coupon on their web site.

1/4" and sometimes smaller can often be found in the ice-maker section of some big-box hardware stores.

Unfortunately the local auto parts places are rapidly becoming useless here (see my Die-Filer rant for the story there) unless you want LED bling or a chrome Folgers can for your exhaust.

Good idea Stan. I have not tried NAPA and we have one near here. Went to O'Reily, Pep Boys and Auto Zone. Even checked some of the younger guys at work that run Nitros on their cars but they said they use braided stainless steel.

I've found the K&S pipe is all thin walled and tends to kink even after annealing when bending.
I get my 1/8 pipe from model engineering supply shops now and buy one or two meters at a time which keeps me going for some time and being it has thicker walls it bends without kinking as long as your careful.

TNX Loose Nut. I book marked the Small Parts web site. Will have to go exploring there some evening and see what else they have. Sure lots of neat stuff!

I did get over to McMaster today and ordered 3' of tubing and a variety of fittings. Also found that they had cap head 3-48 screws in a 1" length. Had been looking for them as well.

If S Parts still have the paper catalogs try and get one they are worth it.

Once I was looking for some 1/8 tube and I remembered that I keep the old thermocouple from my gas water heater. Cut off the ends, pull out the wire and and you have 18" of 1/8 copper tube.

I also found a spool on EBay.

Latest posts

Back