1/2 scale advance-rumley 60-20 traction engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H&N, I just joined the site and looking for some updates from your project. I may be inheritting a 1/2 scale Rumley tractor which my late neighbor was working on for many years. I am meeting with his son on Tuesday as the family would like for me to finish it up. Your images are VERY helpful to me at this point.

Oh I'm digging this ...keep it coming! Nice Work!

Dave

Hi everyone, Brian Anderson from Michigan. I've joined the site to find some information, pics and advise. You see I've obtained a project started many many years ago by a neighbor. I remember riding my bicycle to the neighbor's house to see what he was up too. He was ALWAYS in his small workshop and when I asked him what he was doing, I ALWAYS recieved the same response...."working on the steam engine". Funny thing was....where is this steam engine, never did see much of anything ???
A few years ago this family friend lost his life to a farming accident. I had bumped into his youngest boy a few times and I always asked about the project and he said it was just sitting in the corner of the barn. Lately the subject came up again and I found out the family was okay with me taking over the project. His boy seemed pretty excited that I had an interest in it and made it perfectly clear he wanted to see it completed. I thought for years it was a 1/2 scale, but just found out it's actually about a 7/16 scale. Are there any more threads on here simular to this one as they build such a project? I'm looking for any advise I can find. I'll have the parts here at my home soon and I can post up some pictures.

well brian welcome to the site. as you can see from my lack of posts since january i havent been working on this project much. work has been busy lately, cant complain there. we should be able to start up again shortly.

im interested to learn more about the engine youve aquired, as you may or may not know everyone likes to see lots of pictures. what has been completed so far? what is the HP rating? i wonder what the reason is for the odd scale? you wont find many steam traction engine projects on this site definatly nothing on this scale, seems like most members on this site are running mini lathes and mills. another forum that i was led to is tractiontalkforum.com by jason b who has several posts on this thread, its a british site so their engines are built a little different but still very informative. what kind of equipment do you have or are planning to get. my dad has got some big machines compared to most home shops and sometimes they dont seem big enough but with a little imagination you can make due with less, ive seen alot of fair sized projects built on smaller machines.

i would be more than happy to help you with whatever i can, im just starting in this hobby but i can tell you what ive learned so far.

I pointed Brian in this direction from Traction Talk and also suggested this site with a Baker Engine

http://www.steamsmith.com/

As you say in the UK we have quite a few 6" models but they do differ from your style of engine though we get the odd 4" Case and I've recently seen pictures of an Avery undermount thats under construction - model and full size part way down the page, click for more pics they are actually there.

Jason

Thank you do much for responding. I didn't want to hi-jack your thread, as soon as I get this project to my home, I'll start my own thread with images which I hope is this week. So far the boiler seems to be made, I know it's a one piece tube, it was donated and that was his starting point, thus the odd scale. The firebox is attached, the pressure dome on top was attached. It was dark in the barn when I looked at it, so I'll see it better when it arrives.
The outer rings were there for the wheels, no spokes nor hubs yet. He had a bunch of valves, water level gage, antique pressure gage, a bunch of bull gears, I'll have to sort it all out. I didn't see a front pedistal made, but his son thought it was laying around someplace along with the fire door, but we didn't seem to find it while he was showing me everything. HP rating, I have no idea, I have alot to learn. I did join those other sites as well, thanks for the links. As far as equipment goes, I had access to everything you can think of as I work in a tool & die shop up here in Michigan, cnc mills, brigdeports, grinders, welders, lathes, you name it we have it. I may purchase a Hurco mill for my garage, we are still negotiating a price. I have a friend that has a lathe that may be coming over as well, he's tired of paying storeage on it.

hammers-n-nails said:
well brian welcome to the site. as you can see from my lack of posts since january i havent been working on this project much. work has been busy lately, cant complain there. we should be able to start up again shortly.

im interested to learn more about the engine youve aquired, as you may or may not know everyone likes to see lots of pictures. what has been completed so far? what is the HP rating? i wonder what the reason is for the odd scale? you wont find many steam traction engine projects on this site definatly nothing on this scale, seems like most members on this site are running mini lathes and mills. another forum that i was led to is tractiontalkforum.com by jason b who has several posts on this thread, its a british site so their engines are built a little different but still very informative. what kind of equipment do you have or are planning to get. my dad has got some big machines compared to most home shops and sometimes they dont seem big enough but with a little imagination you can make due with less, ive seen alot of fair sized projects built on smaller machines.

i would be more than happy to help you with whatever i can, im just starting in this hobby but i can tell you what ive learned so far.

Latest posts

Back