Zanesville

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess you would call that good timing then, because I dreamed of attending NAMES for many years, and finally one day I told my wife "I need to get to NAMES this year", and just jumped in the car and drove up the day before.

So I attended in 2019.

I had the green twin steam engine on display at the 2019 NAMES show.
Anybody remember seeing it?
Exactly two people came up and looked at it.
Nobody said a word about it.
NAMES is a tough show to impress people at. The are all BOB's (best of the best), which is exactly why I attended.

I better save that button; it may become a collector's item.

r20190427_112727.jpg

rImg_3553.jpg

Last edited:
The Covid psychops has ruined a lot of things/people/business/jobs/lives.

If people keep falling for that stuff, they will keep shutting things down again, over and over.
Stop the nonsense and get back to living again.

Cant blame covid. There have been years where the show could have gone on.

That was a pretty large arena, in an area with a lot of model folks.

It would be difficult (but not impossible) to duplicate that in that area.

I can understand that it would not necessarily be cheap or easy to put on a show like that.
Lots of tables and piping.

I must admit some frustration in hearing the Zanesville show happened. There were no notices saying it's coming, up whose going. A search online got me last year's poster, nothing related to this year. I thought it went away like NAMES.
Art
Art
Not sure if you know about Indiana show coming up on Oct 14. I'll see about posting flyer.

The Yak area has 25,440 sq. ft. of space.
The Indiana show looks like it has a small fraction of that space.

I would be concerned about showing up at Indiana and not being able to get a space inside.
I sent them an email about this.

Perhaps I am not comparing apples to apples.

I talked to the Indiana Engine Show guy (very nice fellow), and he said next year they will be at a large auto museum.

This year it looks like all indoor spaces are taken, but maybe some space in an outdoor tent.

I may try to swing by there if I can on Oct. 14th.

Perhaps a demonstration iron pour next year at the car museum.

I've attended NAMES once as a spectator.

As stated in another post, I'll be going to the Indiana Show as an exhibitor. This will be the first time exhibiting at strictly model engineering show.

I have exhibited my engines at various Maker Faires over the years. It's good fun. At the Maker Faires, you don't just get a bunch of machining types, but other realms of geekdom as well.

About exhibiting as Maker Faires: Some people don't care what-so-ever about model engines. Others will be fascinated. My experience is that there's always a kid or two of about 12 years old that keeps coming back in awe of the running engines. (Future mechanical engineer). There's very little snobbery if the machine has a flaw or two because everybody understands that this is for fun. Having an exhibit that's interactive is a big plus.

I'm personally a bit intimidated by exhibiting at the Indiana Engine Show because my work just isn't at the same level as many of you masters. But I hope I have fun none-the-less.

...Ved.

As stated in another post, I'll be going to the Indiana Show as an exhibitor. This will be the first time exhibiting at strictly model engineering show.

I have exhibited my engines at various Maker Faires over the years. It's good fun. At the Maker Faires, you don't just get a bunch of machining types, but other realms of geekdom as well.

About exhibiting as Maker Faires: Some people don't care what-so-ever about model engines. Others will be fascinated. My experience is that there's always a kid or two of about 12 years old that keeps coming back in awe of the running engines. (Future mechanical engineer). There's very little snobbery if the machine has a flaw or two because everybody understands that this is for fun. Having an exhibit that's interactive is a big plus.

I'm personally a bit intimidated by exhibiting at the Indiana Engine Show because my work just isn't at the same level as many of you masters. But I hope I have fun none-the-less.

...Ved.

I have done the Maker Faire Detroit a couple times. I agree!

I wouldn't be intimidated buy anything there. Yes there will be that one guy who wants to point out everything wrong and then tell you how to do it better. Not sure how that better way works as I usually have to go to the rest room right about them. Haha! Just have fun and chat with people and answer there questions. No big deal.

...Ved.
I think we all feel that intimidation when showing. I have been showing at various shows since 2017 and always feel other people's stuff is better. I find at these types of shows there are more people interested and impressed than normally. You will get more thumbs up than you think.

I attended NAMES for the first time in 2019, and I brought along my little green twin oscillator that was unfinished at the time, just to perhaps pull out and show a few folks.

There were a couple of guys in line in front of me checking into the hotel, and discussing NAMES, and so I told them I was hesitant to show an unfinished engine. We stepped outside to my car, and I showed them the green twin, and they said "You should definitely show it".

So I set the green twin on the table at NAMES, and I think a total of 2 people looked at it.
I recall begging people to come look at it, but the interest was not there.
They had a backyard casting seminar at NAMES, and so I brought my engine in to show an example of an actual backyard cast engine.
Nobody gave the green twin even a glance. Very odd I thought. I suspect many were not really interested in backyard casting.

Another avenue to display engines is by publishing them, and that seems to perhaps reach a wider audience than a single show, at least that was the hope for me. It is really the casting process that I like to illustrate, perhaps moreso than building the engine.

It would be nice to have a dedicated "beginner's area" at the shows, so you don't have to display next to an award-winning museum piece.
I like the museum piece engines, but if you display next to one of them, your engine may become invisible.

Everyone I met at NAMES was super nice, and I had some very long chats with many builders and all the vendors.
You can learn so much talking to folks who are on that level.
You can also see some stellar engine work.

Last edited:
I attended NAMES for the first time in 2019, and I brought along my little green twin oscillator that was unfinished at the time, just to perhaps pull out and show a few folks.
I would have loved to display my three cylinder engines with generators but the thought of dealing with U.S. customs with all their red tape killed that idea very quickly. Still have very fond memories of the three times I visited, 2007,2009 and 2012.

I think we all feel that intimidation when showing. I have been showing at various shows since 2017 and always feel other people's stuff is better. I find at these types of shows there are more people interested and impressed than normally. You will get more thumbs up than you think.

2017? Is that a typo? Seems to me we met at NAMES in 2007 and the first time we showed at Zanesville was 2008. Haha!

Latest posts

Back