X2 vise size?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kermit

millvise_31sm.jpg

Has a little more than 5 inch opening and a little less than 5 inch width. Real close to 4 inches height. Seems bigger than the base of the x2 mill overall. It also has less than 1.5 inches of jaw height.

To much for the little X2? Your input is respectfully sought.

Kermit

millvise_29sm.jpg

I have the X2 as well.

My vise is 3" wide, 3.25" opening, 3" height, bottom of jaw to bottom is 2". I got it from LMS.

It always seemed kinda big to me but has done everything I wanted.

For me, the important dimension is the distance from bottom of jaw to bottom (the 2") as that takes away from total Z which has always been an issue for me.

But remember I don't have much experience...I don't know what future projects will be required of my vise.

Kermit;

A couple of issues on the X2 with a vise. One of them Zee pointed out. If it is too tall you lose Z axis travel which can be an issue with a drill chuck and a moderate sized drill. The other is your Y axis travel. If the back of the chuck is too long you have to hang it off the back of the table and then it runs into the vertical column limiting your travel. Some of this is dictated by the vise itself because of where the mounting points are located.

Look at the vise on my mill in my post on the power feed. It has slots on both sides and ends which allow you to clamp it in many positions. It low profile and is a pretty good fit for the X2. Jaws can open to about 4". Just like anything else, your needs may require a larger vise than I need, but this one I originally got for my drill press for $48 from CDCO and it is working for now.

I'm thinking this is going to be way too big for an X2. I've got an old 5" Kurt that this appears to be a clone of, and the base footprint on it is something like 7"x14" and it's at least 50 lbs. I'm not seeing how you could even mount it without eating up most of the Y travel. LMS says even their 4" version is too big for the mini mill.

Then this one will have to go on the RX45 clone. (yes, I'm still gonna get one) :)
But you know I'm going to test it for fit on the table of the X2 at least once. :p Yeah, I'm that hard headed. ;D

and you guessed it shred. It reads 49 pounds on my scale.

So, it's not useable. Yet! No problem. I just have to find a more suitable candidate for the X2.

Thanks for the help everyone,
Kermit

Kermit said:
Then this one will have to go on the RX45 clone. (yes, I'm still gonna get one) :)
But you know I'm going to test it for fit on the table of the X2 at least once. :p Yeah, I'm that hard headed. ;D

and you guessed it shred. It reads 49 pounds on my scale.

So, it's not useable. Yet! No problem. I just have to find a more suitable candidate for the X2.

Thanks for the help everyone,
Kermit
Well, if you get tired of using it for a doorstop.... ;)

I occasionally wonder if there's a market for a small mill where the basic table _is_ a vise and you can get a t-slot table to clamp in it if you need one...

Kermit;

Here is a couple shots of my vise on the X2. You can see the slot on the short end so you can mount the vise in the x or y axis and because it has slots you can slide it to exactly where you want it.

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

Move it? After you set it? Why? Don't you have to re-indicate on the jaws to get it square with the table again?

The more explaining I Receive the more confused I become. :D

A Blessing to you on this Christmas Morning,
Kermit

Kermit said:
Move it? After you set it? Why? Don't you have to re-indicate on the jaws to get it square with the table again?

The more explaining I Receive the more confused I become. :D

A Blessing to you on this Christmas Morning,
Kermit

Sure you have to reset it. But that is just part of each set up for different parts. The chuck may have to move or be removed entirely. It is not difficult and you only have to indicate on the x axis. With practice it only takes a minute or so.

Latest posts

Back