Wood Beam Engine fabricated by SAM

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Major congratulations on a job well done Thm:, thanks for taking the time for all the illustrations. Tad Wicks

Beautiful job.

That's so nice how you combined the materials together,
right choice of wood and metal, to make a very intricate model.

Great job.

I love watching it, Sam. The longer I watch, the bigger my smile gets.
It sounds good too. Well done!

Dean

Great job Sam!

It looks really nice.

Nice Job...
Looks Old School...
Sounds very cool too... Thm:

Contender for next POM woohoo1

Regards,

Philly

Tad Wicks said:
Major congratulations on a job well done Thm:, thanks for taking the time for all the illustrations. Tad Wicks

Tad Wicks,

Thank you.

I see that you are new to the forum. wEc1

SAM

hobby said:
Beautiful job.

That's so nice how you combined the materials together,
right choice of wood and metal, to make a very intricate model.

Great job.

Hobby,

Thank you.

I see that you are in contention for POM.

Good Luck.

SAM

Deanofid said:
I love watching it, Sam. The longer I watch, the bigger my smile gets.
It sounds good too. Well done!

Dean

Dean,

Thank you.

Watching it run is almost hypnotic.

Congratulations to you for being nominated for POM.

Good luck.

SAM

PhillyVa said:
Nice Job...
Looks Old School...
Sounds very cool too... Thm:

Contender for next POM woohoo1

Regards,

Philly

Philly,

Thanks for the future vote. ;D

SAM

Sam,
I really like the combination of materials. You've built a great looking and running engine.
Dennis

4156df said:
Sam,
I really like the combination of materials. You've built a great looking and running engine.
Dennis

Dennis,

Thank you.

SAM

Great looking and running engine Sam

Thanks for showing

Stew

I had a little time on my hands so I fiddled with the balance weights and valve timing.

I was able to get its speed down to 32 RPM. ;D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXsl9gdlNBo[/ame]

I may add some weights to the flywheel and see if I can get it to run any slower. :-\

What do you think?

Any suggestions for further fine tuning?

SAM

This sure is addicting.

That is really nice work Sam. Looks sweet.

32 RPM WOW!

Ron

It looks to me like it has more force on the downstroke than on the upstroke. This seems a bit backwards. In the downstroke, the effective area of the piston on which the air pressure works is reduced by the area of the connecting rod so the force exerted (P*A) is less than on the upstroke. If anything, the downstroke should be slightly less forceful than the upstroke.

Perhaps you want to check your valving. Is the valve opening fully for the upstroke? Is there a minute leak in the upstroke valving?

Regardless, it's a lovely engine. I've thought about building it many times but I don't have your woodworking skills. It looks much more authentic running slowly.

This is a great looking project. Very well done.

WRT the uneven stroke, it occurs to me that the way the eccentric works the valve beam will displace a slightly different angle as the larger diameter of the eccentric will go higher on the beam than the lower.

Sam, getting a machine running that slowly is an achievement on its own :bow: - you should be extremely proud of that.

As to getting it to run even slower, well, I might just put both feet in my mouth, but it seems that the weight (counterweight?) on the beam could have an influence here if your valve timing is properly set - because of gravity. If you move the weight closer to the pivot point, or make it lighter, it should make for a more "equal" stroke.

Regards, Arnold

Back