Wood Beam Engine fabricated by SAM

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arnoldb said:
Sam, getting a machine running that slowly is an achievement on its own :bow: - you should be extremely proud of that.

As to getting it to run even slower, well, I might just put both feet in my mouth, but it seems that the weight (counterweight?) on the beam could have an influence here if your valve timing is properly set - because of gravity. If you move the weight closer to the pivot point, or make it lighter, it should make for a more "equal" stroke.

Regards, Arnold

Arnold,

Thanks!

The position of the weight does indeed influence the velocity of the down stroke. I have moved the weight along the length of the beam and it seems to be in the sweet spot now. I have played with the valve timing eccentric and a small movement either way reduces the performance.

I'm thinking that I should add some mass to the outside diameter of the flywheel. This should increase the mass moment of inertia and stabilize the rotational speed.

Regards,

28 RPM

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoctKzqzBSU[/ame]

I know. ::)

Clean up the shop and then figure out what to do next.

SAM

Thats pretty darn slow.

Well Done Sam Thm:

Kel

Sam great work, I think your work is really great,I really like your wooden beam, very pretty, also. larry1

kcmillin said:
That's pretty darn slow.

Well Done Sam Thm:

Kel

Thanks Kel.

I have not been able to duplicate 28 RPM since the one I videoed.

It must be the difference in humidity.

SAM

WoodProject024-1.jpg

I put a new video together for my Wood Beam Engine earlier this month. I meant to post it but life interferred with my pleaseure.

I hope you enjoy it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuAcO8d2BZM[/ame]

Highest Regards,

SAM

kcmillin said:
That's pretty darn slow.

Well Done Sam Thm:

Kel

Kel, I have tried to duplicate the slow speed (28 RPM) and have not been able to so.

larry1 said:
Sam great work, I think your work is really great,I really like your wooden beam, very pretty, also. larry1

Larry1,

Thanks for the kind words. I have enjoyed looking at beam type engines since childhood. I enjoyed making this one, which I think will be the first of many.

doc1955 said:
Very nice Sam! :bow:

Thanks Doc.

kvom said:
This is a great looking project. Very well done.

WRT the uneven stroke, it occurs to me that the way the eccentric works the valve beam will displace a slightly different angle as the larger diameter of the eccentric will go higher on the beam than the lower.

kvom,

Good observation.

I'm not sure how, but if I was really motivated, perhaps moving the sealing surfaces on the valve spool may correct the timing.

ozzie46 said:
That is really nice work Sam. Looks sweet.

32 RPM WOW!

Ron

Thanks Ron

Latest posts

Back