Willans Blast Injection engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian, I do have a question re the flywheel.
........Are these teeth cast or machined?.......
TIA,
Nick
Nick, can't say at the moment, our flywheel is lying down with that side on the ground. Perhaps if it didn't weigh 6 tonnes we could have a quick peek:D. It will be moved soon though so I will try to remember to look.
I found a bit of railing from the platform, sorry no casting here, the verticals are 25mm solid round while the horizontals are 20mm tubing. There is a little machined block to join each section.
Railing_zpsef582f5f.jpg

The ladder also uses solid round uprights but the steps are cast. Here they are looking up from below.
Ladder_zps1c61da8d.jpg

Ian.

We got the bed plate all cleaned up and refitted the bearings.
Here is all 3.3m (~10 feet 10 inches) and 4 tonnes of it.
BedPlate1_zpsab3167be.jpg

After we fitted the bearings and caps, still 3.3m but now 5 tonnes!
BedPlate5_zps271efae0.jpg

From the end, excuse the funny angle, it was tipped up to clean underneath.
BedPlate2_zpsb3dc66c6.jpg

The next step here is to measure the bearings and compare to the crankshaft. There is about 3mm of shims in each bearing so plenty of room for adjustment.
Ian.

Thanks once more for the pictures!

I decided that the flywheel's teeth are machined. The recess behind them doesn't make sense to cast if the teeth are cast.
I'd like to cast the flywheel this Saturday, so I needed a decision.

Also, your crank bearings look quite as I imagined they have to look like. So I think I got them right.

Nick

Just spent the last few days off and on reading this thread as well as Nick's long one on casting, some really great stuff in both!
Any updates or where to go for more info on this project?

Thanks,
Grigg

Hi Grigg,
Thanks for your interest, at this time nothing much has happened. The crank will have to be sent to Singapore for machining as no-one in Oz has the capability any more! This will conservatively cost us $25k and probably more, so approaches are being made to various companies etc for some form of sponsorship. We probably will need a similar amount to set up foundations and associated works so not holding my breath at this end.

Ian.

Thanks Ian,
I'll stay tuned for future updates, glad to hear y'all are pressing on with the engine even if it is slow going.
Wish I lived a few thousand miles closer and could come see or even lend a hand.

Grigg

Thanks Ian,
I'll stay tuned for future updates, glad to hear y'all are pressing on with the engine even if it is slow going.
Wish I lived a few thousand miles closer and could come see or even lend a hand.

Grigg

I second that

I know it's a huge crankshaft but I am surprised that no one in Australia can cope with one that big.

We have the same problem in the U.K. all the heavy industry is going,

Regards Mark

Last edited:
Back