Not a replica or a model, A real Lister Diesel engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyline1

Reaction score
Whilst this is a model forum and I apologise if this is about a full size machine

It is about engines though

I have just acquired a real, genuine, LISTER LT1 diesel engine.
Whilst these are pretty common, fairly modern and not particularly exciting in themselves, this is to me.

I live a mere few hundred yards from the old R.A. Lister Ltd works and I have many friends and family who worked there (Including my late father)

I have always wanted a Lister engine and have become friends with another local enthusiast (Or Fanatical Lister nutcase!)
There are many of us around here, although some of us have yet to "Come out" and admit it publicly

A remarkably modest sum has changed hands, less than ₤200 and I now actually own a real working piece of our local history.

It runs, so he tells me, and is willing to help me get it running properly.

Even if it doesn't, it gives me the chance to work and lay hands on, something that my father, grandfather, and many close friends may well have helped to create

My friend has even thrown in a couple of short lengths of small RSJ to mount it on and if that fails some stout pieces of timber instead (he has quite a number of these !)

R. A. LISTER is close to a religion around here.

Sir Robert Ashton Lister basically created this town and despite becoming very wealthy was quite philanthropic Many of his gifts exist and are still used today, often, typically of his nature, not in his name

I will post photos and hopefully some video when she arrives and our adventures to come.

The Engine doesn't have to travel far, about 750 Meters at best probably much less, BUT, (there always is one !) uphill on a narrow half paved "road", with a one car wide (just) 90-degree elbow in the middle

It's gonna be fun (Or scary, just doesn't go to plan)

Or just plain OH ******, That shouldn't have happened

Regards Mark

Hi Minh-Thang

Yes it's going to be fun

It't not a REALLY heavy thing, about three hundred weight ish, two reasonably strong blokes with a heavy-duty sack truck should be able to move it easily

SHOULD be able!

I'm only 5'2" and 60 years young.
My Lister mad mate is around the same age (I think, never asked, don't care) but about 5'6" and built like the proverbial "Outhouse"

Between us, we should get her home if a bit bruised (us, not the engine)

Pics to follow Soon

Best Regards Mark

I have always been a huge Lister fan ever since I first saw one.

There was a transfer car that ran on a railroad track in front of the kilns at the family lumber yard, and the car was powered by a 4-cylinder air cooled gasoline Continental (V-4). There was always trouble with the Continental, and it did not have much power.

My dad found out about Lister diesels, and he replaced the Continental with a 2-cylinder air-cooled Lister.
The Lister was the perfect engine for the transfer car, and it had the high torque that was needed to pull the long lumber stacks in and out of the kilns.

The Lister ran as long as I can remember, without problems.
Every time I was at the lumber yard, I always went over and started up the Lister.
What a neat engine, and a very nice sound to it when it ran.

I vowed one day to get a Lister, and I actually acquired a junked single-cylinder Lister for free, but have never had time to try and figure out what sort of internal condition it is in.

One of the things I would like to cast is a 1/2 scale (approximately) Lister, and that is on my list of engines to cast.

Lister is a legendary brand, and a very nicely running and performing engine, as far as the ones I have seen.

We need photos of your Lister.
Very nice score for sure.

Pat J

Edit: Here are the photos of my junked Lister.
I am guessing it could be perhaps repaired, or at least measured for a 1/2 scale engine.

rIMG_1901.jpg
rIMG_1893.jpg

If you are going to "show" your Lister, vintage car events etc. I would fit varnished wood engine mounts with period cast iron wheels. I used to love seeing the engines at shows years ago.

I have always been a huge Lister fan ever since I first saw one.

There was a transfer car that ran on a railroad track in front of the kilns at the family lumber yard, and the car was powered by a 4-cylinder air cooled gasoline Continental (V-4). There was always trouble with the Continental, and it did not have much power.

My dad found out about Lister diesels, and he replaced the Continental with a 2-cylinder air-cooled Lister.
The Lister was the perfect engine for the transfer car, and it had the high torque that was needed to pull the long lumber stacks in and out of the kilns.

The Lister ran as long as I can remember, without problems.
Every time I was at the lumber yard, I always went over and started up the Lister.
What a neat engine, and a very nice sound to it when it ran.

I vowed one day to get a Lister, and I actually acquired a junked single-cylinder Lister for free, but have never had time to try and figure out what sort of internal condition it is in.

One of the things I would like to cast is a 1/2 scale (approximately) Lister, and that is on my list of engines to cast.

Lister is a legendary brand, and a very nicely running and performing engine, as far as the ones I have seen.

We need photos of your Lister.
Very nice score for sure.

Pat J

Edit: Here are the photos of my junked Lister.
I am guessing it could be perhaps repaired, or at least measured for a 1/2 scale engine.

View attachment 148097View attachment 148098

Hi Pat

Yours looks a little similar to mine, which I have found out is an ST not an LT

Latest posts

Back