Which Shops must I visit whilst in the UK?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
I'm flying over the UK in late October for 3 weeks.
I plan on going over with a pretty empty suitcase and coming back paying an excess luggage penalty as that works out cheaper than posting.

Has anyone got a shop that they think I should visit to drain my wallet and fill up my suitcase with.
Whether that be tools or models or castings?

tmuir:
I think if I were heading to the UK I would check out at least a couple of book stores that handle used books the UK seems to have a lot larger variety of model engineering books that the states. I have ordered from Blackwells on line and had a few shipped. many time they are cheaper than the same book from a US seller, when the shipping is added in.
And if I had the funds I would probably look for a deal on a Stuart casting kit or two. I have one here to machine and assemble .They have a good reputation as fas as quality and customer service should you run into a problem.
do some googling for UK model engineering suppliers in the area you plan to be in . As they used to say let your fingers do the walking.
but I do think the blokes on the other side of the pond will be glad to direct you to there favorite haunts. Where in the UK do you plan to be, it is a big place. Well maybe not compared to the US or Australia but specific location would be helpful here.
I had the pleasure of going to Upper Heyford a bunch of years ago and visiting London and Oxford that was before I was doing the model engineering.
Tin

The west midlands model engineering exhibition is on 17 - 21 Oct 2008, to which all the major UK based ME shops have a large counter/stand. If you could swing your itinerary to visit this you'd kill all your major ducks in one fell swoop and be left with lots more than one in the hand if you'll allow me to mix my metaphors. Plus the added benefit of a show!

Also depending o the day you'll prolly get to meet one or two of the UK crowd, particulary John Stevenson as he often helps man the ARC Eurotrade stand.

http://www.modelengineeringexhibition.co.uk/

The only trouble is that it's in the middle of nowhere and you'd need a car to get there.

Hope this helps

Al

They do run a bus service from Leaminton Spa railway station, info at the bottom of the link in the post above.

DickDastardly40 said:
The west midlands model engineering exhibition is on 17 - 21 Oct 2008, to which all the major UK based ME shops have a large counter/stand. If you could swing your itinerary to visit this you'd kill all your major ducks in one fell swoop and be left with lots more than one in the hand if you'll allow me to mix my metaphors. Plus the added benefit of a show!

Hope this helps

Al

Damm.
My wife will be there then but I get there just after it finishes.
Work commitments stop me getting there any earlier.

I will be centered at Durham but will be going up and down all over the country.
I probably will have a car I can borrow for day trips.
I used to live in the UK and excluding the islands from Durham I can get to pretty much any where in a days trip so an overnight stay here and there will certainly be happening.

I have no plans set in stone so don't mind a days travel if its worth while.

Tin Falcon I hear you on the books.
I have bought a number from the UK and already have a book waiting for me at my mother in laws house in the UK as weighing in at 3kg it's past the magic 2kg mark that makes postage from the UK very expensive.

Mine ;)
Just kidding, don't sell anything but there is always beer in the fridge & coffee in the pot.
Mark

One thing I can do for you is collect anything you need from the Midlands exhibition on your behalf and you can collect it when you are here.

I'm based about 3 miles off the M1 motorway on the Notts Derby border, junctions 24 or 25 so easy to get to if you are flying around.

TEE Publishing [ they run the show ]
RDG tools
Chronos
Warco
Chester
Arceurotrade
Hemingway kits
Tracy tools
Poly models
All these will all be there and all these folk have web sites. Poly models [ no connection ] is just round the corner from me.

Thanks,
I'll keep that in mind.
I've started to put a list together in my mind and will probably order a few items over the internet and get them posted to my mother in laws house to cut back on a few trips but I do want to visit atleast one model engineering shop as we have nothing like them where I live as I just want a chance to wonder around one and see all the things I 'must have' that I didn't even know existed. :big:

I'm even after simple things like a lettered drill set and a few BA taps and dies as they are impossible to get locally and expensive to get by mail order here.

Tony,

My first suggestion for your personal visit would be RDG tools. Within easy striking distance from your base.
I would suggest, look on their site to find some of the necessary things you want, then phone them up and place a pick up order a few days before you go. A lot of popular items do go out of stock quickly. Then when you visit, top up your order with goodies as you look around. Tell them you are an overseas visitor and see if you can get a tax break.

http://rdgtools.co.uk/

Another very good supplier, and I think would be well worth a visit, again within striking distance of your base. Very efficient and helpful, plus they do have some things on their site that are not generally available anywhere else, Arc Euro.
Again, because they are so popular, things do go out of stock rather quickly. So maybe a pre placed pick up order would be advised.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/default.aspx

Tracy tools is a place I get all my taps and dies from, even though most are carbon steel, they are very good quality and I have never had cause to fault them. Their full sets are very good value for the money. A bit far for a day out, but maybe get them delivered to your base.

http://www.tracytools.com/index.htm

One place a lot of people don't know about is Gloster Tooling. Very good to deal with, and some of the cheapest prices on the net for certain items. He does offer tax breaks, and is very good to deal with on the phone.

http://www.glostertooling.co.uk/

He also has a very good ebay listing.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Gloster-Tooling

Ignore what it says on his downloadable catalogue about 'available 2008', most items are usually in stock.

For materials stock, I always deal with Blackgates, very reasonably priced, good delivery times. Website is a load of crap, so you need to order over the phone.
Maybe a good place to visit when in RDG country. Not too far between the two.

http://www.blackgates.co.uk/body_index.html

Hope this helps.

John

If I should ever fetch up in Blighty RDG would be at the top of the list.

Thanks for that Bogstandard.

I'll go over their sites over the next few weeks and make a list.

I think I need to have a few more call outs so I can afford all the stuff I will buy. :big:

I lived in the UK for 3 years and when I returned to OZ the closest thing I brought back with me to model engineering was some old brass Meccano gears.....
Won't be making that mistake this time

If you are just north of London then Chronos is worth a visit, they are on the web. If in Birmingham area Reeves are well worth a visit (also on the web) :)

Well I'm in the UK at the moment and rented myself a car today (Can you believe its cheaper to rent a car than it is to ride the train in the UK. :eek: ) and did a nice little 200 odd mile round trip to RDG tools.

Got myself a nice little haul that won't weight my luggae down too much.

Single wheel knurler
Clamping wheel knurling
SWG measuring guage
Set of Pocket watch keys
Jewellers ring sizing set
Machined angle plate for my mill
Full set of BA taps and dies
Full set of numbered drills
SEt of metric drills from 0.3mm to 1.6mm
1/16 inch rivet snap
1/8 inch rivet snap
1/16 inch parting tool and holder
5pc Wiggler set

Would of like to get the set of 1/2 inch parallels but they were just too heavy but this will fill several holes in my tool needs although there still are a few other things I need.

tmuir said:
Well I'm in the UK at the moment

Sorry about the weather :( but, we have little control 8)

Glad you enjoyed RDG, I was there on Monday, nice bunch of folks aren't they ............ enjoy the rest of your visit, I hope work doesn't interfere too much with having fun.

CC ;)

CrewCab said:
Sorry about the weather :( but, we have little control 8)

Glad you enjoyed RDG, I was there on Monday, nice bunch of folks aren't they ............ enjoy the rest of your visit, I hope work doesn't interfere too much with having fun.

CC ;)

The weather is fine.
Rain is a novelty to us Australians. :big:
I don't mind the cold as you can always put more layers on but hate the 40C plus days I get at my house in the summer.
Last year we got a 46.5C day at my house which would put it between 60C or 70C inside my workshop. :eek:

Give me those cold days anytime.

tmuir said:
Rain is a novelty to us Australians. :big:

Please feel free to take as much home as you can fit in your luggage ;D ........... we've had enough :(

Make sure to take a bit extra for Tel, I did promise him some ;)

CC

I think Tel needs it more than us in Perth.
Now with 17% of our water coming from a desal plant with another on its way we are doing ok.
We are still allowd to water our gardens twice a week and wash our cars unlike some of the other states.....

If you are flying about and get near junctions 24 or 25 on the M1 give me a bell and call in for a coffee.

0115 946 5885
or cell phone on 07966 376085
I work from home so usually someone is in all the while.

John ......... :eek: .............. where you been hiding ............ thought you'd become lost in Middle Earth ...... errrrr .... the Midlands ???

;) CC

John Stevenson said:
If you are flying about and get near junctions 24 or 25 on the M1 give me a bell and call in for a coffee.

0115 946 5885
or cell phone on 07966 376085
I work from home so usually someone is in all the while.

Don't think I will be making it that south but thanks for the offer.
Was down in Linconshire today and may be again next week visitting someone who has a friend that just received his Case traction engine.
The boiler inspector was meant to come today and give it it's ticket and we were going to fire it up but that has been delayed until Wednesday so I may have to drop back down next weekend.
Not often you get a chance to play on a real traction engine.
I'm told this is one of only 2 working Case traction engines in the UK so will be great to have a go at driving it.

Latest posts

Back