Gas line repair (I hope...)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey - running water in the shop! It's only a 1/4" line, and there is no drain, but it will be handy for replenishing water bottles, refilling the quenching tank next to the grinder, etc.

It's also an experiment - it's well above the frost line and terminates in a building that is unheated if not occupied, so (assuming it ever gets cold here again in the winter) it will freeze. It is polyethylene tubing. I've experimented with lengths of the same tubing completely filled with water, the ends capped off, in the freezer; no problem according to my tests. It seems to be able to expand enough to prevent breaking. I'll monitor it carefully when it starts to get cold (of course).

The gas line held 40 PSI for 24 hours. Haven't hooked up either end yet, but I'm confident that it will be fine.

We had a house built a couple of years ago that had crosslinked poly (PEX) installed for the water lines. I questioned the builder about freeze problems and he said that PEX could expand so that it didn't rupture if it froze when full of water.

I think you will be safe.

What happened to my cartoon:mad:............did the P.C. police step in ??????????
Kindest Regards
Beagles

Beagles

I don't know why the cartoon is not showing up. I went back to the original post and checked. When I tried to edit it says that it is there but it doesn't show up. It isn't the PC police, it is the PC gremlins that must be at work. Now I have to try and find out where they hid it. If it doesn't show up in a couple of days, remind me in case I have forgotten.

Cheers :)

Don

Is this what you want?

gas_pipe_429835.jpg
gas_pipe_429835.jpg

Bob

Yes, that is the one. The problem is though. Why is it not showing up in the original message? At one time it did but not does not show now. I have tried to edit it but can see no reason why it is not showing.

Don

Don,

I too tried to edit the original post. :mad:

It's shown under managed attachments.

For some reason, I can as is obvious access and copy from the information therein but there must be a problem in the format of the URL as far as this forum's software is concerned.

I could not get it to work using the image icon at the top of the page so I uploaded the image to PB and used the image code from there.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob

I am going to try "attaching" the photo in question from my computer to see if it makes any difference.

Ok, It show up OK in the preview so why does it not show up in the Lockstocknbarrel post? Strange.

Don

gas_pipe_429835.jpg

Thanks Don & Bob,
I for the life of me could not see how it was offensive...................
But Murphy had a hand in it, now it makes sense.
Kindest Regards
Beagles

Don,

I too tried to edit the original post. :mad:

It's shown under managed attachments.

For some reason, I can as is obvious access and copy from the information therein but there must be a problem in the format of the URL as far as this forum's software is concerned.

I could not get it to work using the image icon at the top of the page so I uploaded the image to PB and used the image code from there.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob

When you edited the original post at 9:56pm did you make any changes to this post that causes the photo to show or did it just magically appear without explanation? I hate it when things happen without reason.

Don

Well................bugger me I have no idea, as far as I'm aware, I returned the post to "AS ORIGINALLY POSTED" condition so maybe we have a resident Gremlin whom I will call "George" after the one who makes pictures fall of the wall etc. at home. :p

dgjessing,
I too connected my workshop up with a tap and an old laundry tub. Use it for hand washing, quenching etc etc. But the problems with connecting the outfall to the sewer were substantial so I thought that my solution might help you.
I obtained a plastic drum and placed it under the tub, to collect the waste water. I cut a hole and fitted an outlet at the bottom to which I connected a tap/valve. I connected the other side of the valve to an old discarded swimming pool pump (usually these are free from pool shops when they replace one with a new unit) to which I fitted new sealed bearings (cost me about $10). To the outlet of the pool pump I fitted a normal hose connection.
When the drum fills up, I connect up the garden hose to the pump outlet, place the other end down the sewer, open the valve and turn the pump on. It empties in no time, and I only need to empty it every 2-3 months. After the drum is empty, I turn off the valve, flush out and disconnect the hose. It is certainly cheaper than cracking into the sewer and digging trenches and the like.
Hope this might help you.
Steamboat Willie.:)
Canberra, Australia

We have heat (gas heat) in the shop again! Just finished hooking up both ends and all seems to be well :)

Hey - running water in the shop! It's only a 1/4" line, and there is no drain, but it will be handy for replenishing water bottles, refilling the quenching tank next to the grinder, etc.

It's also an experiment - it's well above the frost line and terminates in a building that is unheated if not occupied, so (assuming it ever gets cold here again in the winter) it will freeze. It is polyethylene tubing. I've experimented with lengths of the same tubing completely filled with water, the ends capped off, in the freezer; no problem according to my tests. It seems to be able to expand enough to prevent breaking. I'll monitor it carefully when it starts to get cold (of course).

To follow up, the water line is holding up just fine so far. The temperature has been as low as 7 degrees f :)

Latest posts

Back