Where to start?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gearstix

Hi,
I can't seem to get this idea out of my head..
I've been watching videos on youtube.. seeing small air, steam, flame, fuel powered engines.
I've been thinking that it would be cool for me to attempt to make my own engine.
I'd like to make an engine out of and with what I have around me... I haven't got a CNC machine or a lathe, but I have a drill press, chop saw, mig welder, various tools...
I'm used to being around car engines and smaller engines, such as single cylinder Honda engines and Briggs and Strattons'..
So this is my idea...
I'd like to make a two stroke diesel engine, and put it to use.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel-two-stroke1.htm

I'm thinking of using parts from whatever I can get my hands on.
Use a piece of steel pipe, and run a cylinder hone through it. Make the crankcase from plate with removable side covers. I'd need a cylinder head of some sort (no ideas for that yet). If you have read the how stuff works article, it states that a two stroke diesel engine needs some kind of forced induction. If I had the machines I'd make a small roots or twin screw supercharger that would be driven off the engine and supply the engine with the air it needs.
However, I don't have access to such machines. I do have a pollution pump (air pump basically) that I could run off the engine. I'd use a automotive piston and connecting rod, maybe one out of a small block chevrolet. As for the crank, I have no idea there either.... Also the compression ratio would have to be alot higher than a gasoline burning engine, say 25:1...
I'd also need some sort of fuel injection or something of the sort. Was thinking about using a Briggs and Stratton flywheel and coil, and somehow use the spark generated to apply voltage to an injector.... (not sure if that would work) I'd make it air cooled... Not really sure or understand how liquid cooling would work...
I'd need the crank to have a shaft on it, and it be 3/4" in outer diameter, with a keyway, so I could mount a clutch.

I'll try to draw up my ideas tomorrow and post them up.. It won't be the prettiest engine ever....

First, welcome aboard! You’ve found a group of folks that will be glad to help you along the way.

Although your question gives a lot of plans and details that may seem unique to you, I think most everyone (definitely me!) had similar concerns, even doubts when they first started.

Let me suggest not to dwell on what you don’t have. I sounds like you already have a few somewhat *advanced* tools such as mig welders, etc and a desire to build! Therefore, it is likely you have an inclination for things mechanical.

Think about getting a small lathe in the 7 X 10 or 9 X 20 class. Heck, you may even get lucky and run across a used American/British machine that you can pick up reasonably. You can get either of these machines and basic tooling for under $1000. The good news about these machines, if this turns into something you don’t stay with, they are relativity easy to sell and get a good portion of your investment back.

If push comes to shove, you can use your drill press for *very* light milling or even build a milling attachment for the lathe. However, eventually you will want a milling machine.

I recommend start machining a few steam engines. Plans are online for bar stock engines that don’t require casting. Check PM Research for kits of small steam engines built from casting if you like. Once you get a couple of these under your belt, you will have learned the basics of layout, tooling, and machining. Then move on to model IC/diesel engines. After that, the sky is yours to build what you want.

Keep us informed on your projects.

TinkerJohn

There are some 'latheless' simple engines as well-- especially if you have access to things like round stock in the form of cut-off pistons and the like. Not sure how convertible to diesel they would be.. From investigating little compression aero engines, the tolerances have to be pretty tight.

Latest posts

Back