Where must I visit in London?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esteam

Reaction score
Hello.

I will be in London between 5th and 12th March. This is gonna be my first visit to London. I saw a discussion about this subject in the forum. But may be you have new comments and suggestions at this time. I am planning to go to RDG tools. But may be you know the other tool or book stores, even exhibitions to see.

By the way, I want to see the friends from this forum if there is anyone who wants to.

Thank you

Erdem

Depends so much on your interests. I spent 10 days there (almost 5 years ago), and although we were busy all the time, I only got to see a small fraction of what there is to see.

Museums more than you can imagine, as well as castles, and all the "must see" stuff. Tower Bridge is very cool - there's a steam engine in there. The London Eye (giant ferris wheel) was worth it for the view alone. Of course the Tower of London is a great tour, too. Then there are all the military museums in and around the area. I could go on for a long time.

We visited a couple years ago. Lots of fun. We got one of the tube passes (oyster card IIRC) and that let us run all over town without worrying about it. Greenwich is entertaining if you like time and just across the river (also a free ride on the card). The chronometers used to win the longitude prize are in the museum there and up the hill are the meridian line and scopes used to define it in the old days.

You absolutely must spend at least a day in the Science Museum. Send the wife or SO (if you're traveling with same) to the Victoria and Albert Museum - it's almost across the street and filled with all manner of decorative stuff she'll enjoy.

Take a tour boat up the Thames to Kew Bridge Museum (and Kew Gardens for the SO).

And, as Shred said, visit Greenwich down the river.

Eat in the pubs and ethnic restaurants. The only spice the English are aware of is water.

I totally agree with Marv about the Science Museum. I was there about 6 years ago.

We arrived at the Museum doors right on opening time, and had to be shoved out the door by security at closing time. A great collection of exhibits & even better entry was free!!!

Tony

I'd also recommend Greenwich, both for the astronomical/time museum but also for the nautical museum. Westminster Abbey and the Tower are must-sees for the historical aspects, as is St. Paul's church.

Erdem

Can I put in a suggestion to see the Museum of London, a few minutes from St Pauls.

One of my favourites, not been for 3 years though.
Used to work in London as a Field eng. on IT stuff, so used to grab a hour or two doing the culture thing when skiving from work. My other 'Best bits of London' are any road leading out if it ;D ;D

Dave

The Royal Arsenal at Woolwich is also worth a visit, and you can tie in with a trip to the Royal Observatory/National maritime Museum in Greenwich.
Here’s a link to the arsenal site: http://www.royal-arsenal.com/.

Charing Cross Road for obscure and interesting secondhand books, this is just one of many bookshops: http://www.anyamountofbooks.com/

Kew Bridge Steam Museum: http://www.kbsm.org/

The Whitechapel Bell Foundry might be interesting: http://www.whitechapelbellfoundry.co.uk/foundry.htm

The Tower of London (Castle) and Tower Bridge almost go without saying.

For non-engineering stuff, of course you must visit Harrods and Fortnum & Mason for the sheer luxury of it.

For a more Bohemian shopping experience, go to Camden Lock and Market: http://www.camdenlock.net/

Oh, and ignore Marvs comments about the food – London has more Michelin-starred restaurants then New York, at 44 to 33 ;D

Peter

Edited to add: Just noticed your location is in Turkey, in which case I'd like to recommend my favourite London restaurant: http://www.fakhreldine.co.uk/.
Won't be to everyone's taste, but I have an idea you might like it.

I would agree with Marv... visit the London Science Museum. I haven't been there in 15 years, but they had a rich assortment of antique machine tools, steam engines, and all manner of old aircraft engines. Great place!

The Kewbridge Steam Museum is also well worth seeing. Some really nice, very big steam engines, including a beam engine built right into the building.

Chuck

Another non-machining thing to see whilst in Greenwich-- in the museum with the chronometers is Shackletons' lifeboat, the James Caird (or a replica thereof). That won't mean much unless you know the story behind it (and if not, it's worth reading, even the Wikepedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyage_of_the_James_Caird)

This building is somewhere nearby, I think in the war college-- we found it by accident.
London_008.thumb.jpg
. Picture a huge room with a fabulously painted ceiling and walls, yet everybody in it is bent over peering into little carts. The little carts are mirrors, of course..

Thank you very much guys. I am very impatient now. Especially I want to see Science Museum. I hope I can visit all those places in seven days. Besides may be I can stay in London one week more. It depends on my work. I have a tv comedy show in Turkey. My show is on air two days in a week: Saturday and Sunday. If I can shoot one more tv show in next two weeks, I will go to London for two weeks.

Regards

Erdem

I echo all the sentiments above with the science museum a definite "must do", I take my kids there for a day at least once a year and they love it ALMOST as much as I do ;D , pretty much next door is the natural history museum which is just huge and awe inspiring. The great thing about most museums now is that entry is FREE.

Another must is the National Gallery. Again Free

But don't do the usual tourist thing of spending a day visiting Stonehenge, I live about 3Km from there and to be honest its a disgrace.... you are much better off just seeing it in photos.

But if you love engineering a visit to the Black country museum in Telford is MUST, the birthplace of the industrial revolution, where it all started!!!!! You will probably need a day and a half though with travelling and make sure it is open before you travel.

David

Yeah, we did the Stonehenge thing and it was kind of cool (it was a beautiful day and I'm into the old stuff), but it was a long day for pretty much one thing... we had about as much fun wandering around the town there and checking out the cathedral and original copy of the Magna Carta. I'd put it on the list of things you can do, but not must-do.

STONEHENGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you must.

There are people here who live near it and could save you the trouble of going.
Ask and pictures will be produced which you will be welcome to claim as your own i am sure. Stick with the london suggestions and Telford if you get the chance.

Sorry if i sound like a killjoy but i moved out of london to get away from the ratrace but miss the culture, (museums galleries etc) I live near to, and have been to stonehenge, Trust me it looks just like the pictures.

Please have a great time in london and i hope you enjoy your stay with us.

kind regards

Malcolm

Latest posts

Back