Where I used to work. Some pics to follow.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronkh

ronkh
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I thought some of you may be interested (if only a little bit) as to where I used to work, the machine I used to use there and the end product!
The machine is a Swiss made m/c called a Studer S30 LeanPro. Three spindle, three axis grinder, and cost new around £350.000. They also produce grinders that can do polygons, threadgrind, sing, fart and dance, etc and can go up to 6 or 7 axis, specially ordered though and very big bucks! These m/c's are, like the Swiss reputation for their clocks and cow bells extremely accurate, holding a micron in the right conditions is not a problem though a pain in the a*se. The base's of all these are made out of a compound called Graniton - crushed granite and some other stuff which they don't/won't specify but are not affected by temperature changes. The rest of the machine can be affected but they won't tell you that. Crafty s*ds.
Other m/c's include Mikron (or Micron, can't remember which spelling), again Swiss, Mazak (Japanese), of which these both makes are up to 7 axis each and are hypnotic to watch, and a couple of French linear driven machines - £1.000.000 each - which mostly spend their time waiting for a technition to put right.
The factory (McLaren) can be seen at www.mclaren technology centre.com and was built at a price of around £600.000.000.
Yep, that's over half a billion pounds!!
A couple of examples as to where some of the money was spent; the two lower floors where the machinery, inspection, storage, car builds,test area, etc are all layed in Italian made tiles, the restuarant serves up to a thousand covers during the day looking over a scenic lake, the top floor carpeted and themed to keep the pen-pushers happy.
For the energenic (not this pot-bellied old git), there is a fully kitted gym with an infinity pool.
There are over 10 thousand trees planted in the grounds, the entire place is air conned to 20+/-1 degrees, the wind tunnel alone cost in excess of £50.000.000, the grounds are now registered as an SSSI because of the care taken when building and landscaping the place.
I think that a few mill went on backhanders so as to enable it to be build on a greensite but hey, that's just my cynical side!
The car that's jacked up was the one that Lewis Hamilton won the championship in. Price of one of these? How long is a piece of string??
The other pic has me in it third from left as you are looking at it.
I left this place at the end of 2010 and couldn't get out quick enough. Why? Well, that's another story I might tell at another time. Lets just say that I am happier in my shed/shop then I was for the last couple of years at Mc.

BUT as needs dictate I am going for an interview tomorrow for another job, seven month's now since leaving and I am getting excited about it.

Best regards,

Ron.

mclaren studer (229x229).jpg

Myself, third from left being a poser. ;D
Sorry about the quality, a "pro" took this shot. :p

mclaren.png

I'm presently working for a company where we have to hold tolerances of 22 nanometers (less, actually). We are building new factories that will hold to 14 nanometers. We've got these "factories" spread around the world, each costing up to $8 billion to build. It takes 28,000 different types of engineers to build each factory. They are the most expensive and the most sophisticated buildings in the world.

As an engineer myself, when I send out a new design for a prototype, I need to make sure it is designed correctly because the first samples for testing cost around $13 million. Yes, I have made boo boos. :Doh:

I mean, as long as we are talking tolerances and money.... :big:

I mean, as long as we are talking tolerances and money.... big laugh

Hi Trout,

What sort of "factories" are these then and what do they produce?

I only put this topic on to show the silly money F1 teams can spend, and still spend, when the only finished products are a very fast car, big egos and fat wallets for owners who are not on this planet, and not as a
"My ones bigger then yours".
"No, mine's bigger then yours" sort of debate/argument. ;D

Are you allowed to tell us what the "sample" is and what they do please?
Before joining F1, (and in the real world) I used to work for a company that produced hydraulic components for military aircraft which included the Apache helicopter, Harrier, Typhoon, the Euro Fighter etc. Plus various other work of tight tolerances for Rolls Royce, Lucas diesel systems among others.
Rather then the "factories" holding these limits, it is us mere mortals who hold them and not sophisticated robots of which I presume - possibly wrongly - these factories have? th_bs
As I stated earlier, I thought it might of been of some interest to show members the place I used to work in. Maybe I was wrong and perhaps I should ask the Mods to remove this posting?? :(
Ron.

the nanometer scales mentioned seem to remind me of those used in computer chip manufacturing...

i don't see a need to ask for thread removal. it's interesting to get a glimpse of these things =)

as for the hydraulic components, my hat's off to you. I was a 'crew chief' (mechanic) on F-15 and F-16 fighter jets during my time in the US Air Farce, and hydraulics were hard enough to work on, we considered ourselves fortunate to get good quality craftsmanship in those components. a two hour mock dogfight in an F-15 can REALLY stress the 3000psi hydraulic systems, and we rarely had them come back without a leak somewhere (usually in a fitting).

- Ryan

Being a F1 nut I find any snippits into the world of F1 intersting,especally from someone in the know,keep them coming Ron,
Don

Ronk,

I was involved with F1 here in Adelaide in the 1980's when BP sponsored, (in a small way), a couple of teams. Yep they sure now how to spend, even the smaller, "poorer" teams.

It's a great circus at the start, followed by an almost predictable procession for the rest of the race. None the less some great automotive development which filters down to the rest of us, e.g. disc brakes.

Best Regards
Bob

f1_1.jpg

f1_2.jpg

Thanks both, I will keep you posted.

Ryan,
As for the hydraulics, during the first Iraqi war - Desert Storm? - we would get the rams and tubes back from the Tornado's, helicopters (I can't remember which ones) and some ram's from the American jets (again, I can't remember the ones) together with the air gauges to be refurbished.
Both the gauges and rams were hard chrome plated usually to a thickness of .005/.010" per-side.
When we received them, the chrome would of been stripped back to base metal because of the action of the sand. Any rubber seals on them was gone and we used to wonder how the pilots kept them in the air. The worst one we measured for wear was around -.050" on one side and about -.010/.015" the other. The tubes were usually scrapped as these were not chrome plated but were sometimes honed out to remove scores, and the size of the rams increased to allow for this, i,e. extra plating. A pig to grind and superfinish considering the length((s) and whether they were hollow rams. Flooded with coolant and could still "pick up". When that happened, hit the stop button as quick as poss as we couldn't afford to scrap any because of the turnaround. :fan:
For the past 15 years or more, these rams have been coated with powder-carbite plating - not sure about the American system but I presume they would use the same method? Hope this little tale is of interest to you.

PS. When we had the Falkland war, we had no re-grinds. Only re-furnished once it was over - no sand!!

Interesting stuff. I used to work for a Reprographics company over 20 years ago and we used to do work for several formula one teams including McLaren from time to time.

Vic.

Rayanth said:
the nanometer scales mentioned seem to remind me of those used in computer chip manufacturing...

i don't see a need to ask for thread removal. it's interesting to get a glimpse of these things =)

as for the hydraulic components, my hat's off to you. I was a 'crew chief' (mechanic) on F-15 and F-16 fighter jets during my time in the US Air Farce, and hydraulics were hard enough to work on, we considered ourselves fortunate to get good quality craftsmanship in those components. a two hour mock dogfight in an F-15 can REALLY stress the 3000psi hydraulic systems, and we rarely had them come back without a leak somewhere (usually in a fitting).

- Ryan

Ronk, I wasn't knocking your thread, I was amused by the inclusion of how much everthing costs and it reminded me of where I work, and that would be Intel.

Oh, the factories would be fabs, we call them.

-Trout

My apologies Trout,

My brain cell farted and got me up too early and in a ratty mood. :-[

Memo, keep mood to self.

Kind regards,

Ron.

Latest posts

Back