"When I'm not building miniature engines I" sorry, you'll have to look.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George I can see where your metal carving eye has come from.
Gorgeous works! :bow:

Rick

Once again, thank you very much. Here's several more. One is an Auburn Speedster. When I composed the picture I found the aircraft that won the national air races that year and added it and the old style hangar into the picture. The next is another one of my granddaugter. She's one of my favorite subjects. And last for today is a pair of Packards. The old house in the background was my brother-in-law's bed and breakfast in Georgia. The architecture of the house fit in with the cars.
I'm also including a closeup of the front end of the Packard as I was doing the drawing. That's why there's no grass in this shot.
gbritnell

AUBURN-1.jpg

HANNAH2.jpg

PACKARDFIN.jpg

PACKARD5frntclose.jpg

I can't be the only one willing to pay for something so beautiful... ???

Your drawings are way way way above average. couldn't think of another adjective that's not been used yet. :D

Respectfully,
Kermit

George the little girl in the drawings is adorable!
Is she a relative?

Rick

Thanks Rick, yes, she's my granddaugter. I have done quite a few pictures of her since she was born. She just turned 5 so it's getting harder and harder to have her sit still long enough to get a good picture.
gbritnell

George,

You are most definitely one talented individual. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Well I'm from RedNeck territory.

We have saying like:
"Step back, she'll tell you where the bear **** in the buckwheat."

I'm usually a pretty good judge of character.
How far off am I on this one?
:big:

All of your drawings are beautiful!
I used to do pen and ink myself. There are a lot of 20to 30 year old
sketch canvases in the attic here.

Rick

George those are gorgeous!.....and your Granddaughter is very cute!
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Dave

George,

Your talent won't be wasted around here very good work. How about posting some photos too...I'm sure they are excellent also.

Warm regards

Philly

PS...a karma point for your :bow: talent :bow: woohoo1

MAGNIFICENT WORK GEORGE !! :bow: X 1000 !! Wish I had 1/100 of your talent :)

When the first image came up, I thought, nice picture, until you mentioned it was a drawing. WONDERFUL !! The chrome reflections are killer !!

Now you have to prove your Engine-of-the-month is a real engine by showing us the video of it running :D

Have you thought about selling your drawings or having an exhibition somewhere ??

Mike

Thanks Mike,
I don't have any finished drawings for this engine. When I started on it I had access to company engineering drawings and scaled them down and modified what needed to be modified to make it a working model. For the parts I didn't have drawings for I measured them directly from a full sized engine. I have pages of notes and sketches from the original build but they never to translated into working drawings. My engine took so long to build because I duplicated all of the casting shape on my parts. This took forever, laying out, cutting, laying out, well you get the idea. To make working drawings everything would have to be simplified mainly because the drawings would be so complicated to show all of the casting shape. As far as an exhibition, I live in northern Ohio and get to NAMES, Cabin Fever, and last year I went to the new show they started in southern Ohio. I also go to some of the antique engine shows that have facilities to exhibit model engines. I would like to get to the Black Hills show or out west to the GEARS show but logistically that probably won't happen. As far as the engine running, I kind of gave an overview of the operational problems I had when I first got it assembled. Yes it does run and in fact I have some VHS film of it running. I posted a thread on the new distributor that I just finished for it and I have made a new starting ring for the flywheel. It has a one way bearing in an aluminum hub that will freewheel when the engine starts. I hope to fire it up within the next couple of weeks and will take a new video of it at that time. I guess I just got lazy when I first got it running. I knew I had to make some major changes to it to get it to run better and I just put them off. I ran into the same thing with the Holt but I had more perseverance with it and didn't stop until I got it close to perfect. It's frustrating when you spend many hours on a part (distributor, carburetor) and then it doesn't work properly so you have to make another and sometimes more. When I built this engine (mid 80's) there wasn't the internet, at least not as we know it today, so getting help with problems was almost non existant. There was a lot of people building engines and miniatures but there wasn't the venues that we have today. Groups like this provide so much knowledge and information for the beginner to the veteran and generally someone has run into a situation at one time or another and can offer their findings. Here's a drawing that the aircraft people might enjoy. I had attended an airshow in Michigan a couple of years back and they had a nice static display out in the field with several old Stearman trainers. I took many pictures at the show and when I got home and went through them I found several that I thought would make a good painting/drawing. I took a couple of the shots of the Stearmans and made up my own compostion in Photoshop. When I was satisfied with what I had I transfered it to paper and started adding color. This is the result. I am posting the smaller version because of the proportions of the original would be hard to see on this forum. For those interested in how the picture came to life you can go to my Photobucket link and see the work in progress and a larger finished version.
gbritnell.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v43/gbritnell/Stearman painting/

STEARMAN.jpg

George,
Being an auto and airplane fancier, those are beautiful Thm: :bow:. Now tell me how you do the time warp and can do all this stuff :big:
Tony

Tony, this could get very wordy but I'll refrain. Let me just say that over the years I didn't watch much television.
gbritnell

I hear ya George. I'm not big on TV either. I have one in the shop to keep me company with some backround noise. News and ball games is all that I listen to or glance at.
Tony

Your work is beatifull. The only things that I was ever able to draw successfully were machines, and not pretty drawings like yours, but mechanical drawings for industrial use. This is my other hobby---hotrods. Generally its hot rods in the summer and small steam engines in the winter.--This year I'm just killing time untill July when I will drive this car to the Atlantic Streetrod Nationals in New Brunswick on Canada's east coast, so I am building a hit and miss steam engine on another thread.---Brian
frontviewoffinishedrpu-1.jpg

Great looking pickup Brian. What is it a model A with a 32 grill shell? I like the old school stripping on it. How long have you had it?
gbritnell

I built it 5 years ago. I've been building hotrods for over 40 years. This one has an interesting pedigree. I started with an original 31 Ford model a 2 door sedan. I shortened the body five foot, cut the top off, and molded the top of the doors and the back of what became the cab section. I built the box from scratch, as well as the convertible top. The grill shell is fiberglass 32 Ford with a home made grill insert and the fenders are a 28/29 fiberglass fender package. The cab is 6" longer than a stock model A pickup cab, and the box is 18" shorter thn stock.---Its on a 103.5" wheelbase as per original Model A's of all years. The rearend is S10 pickup, with a 305/350 engine/tranny package out of an 86 pontiac.

Hey George,
Here's some of my junk that I been doing the time warp with:

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

I just thought your time warp method was better than mine :big:
Tony

PS Hopefully....one day (more like years)....I'll knock off a 1/6 scale of the 427

Shoot. All I got is this ashtray I made in ceramics class. :big:

Great stuff everyone. What fantastic talent. I'm very happy it's on this forum.

Great looking builds Tony. Is your a Cobra a Factory Five model. I have 2 friends that have built their kits. The closest I came to RC stuff was when my boys were into cars and trucks. I got to make all the trick diffs and u-joints. Here's one you'll really like.
gbritnell

COBRA90.jpg

Latest posts

Back