"When I'm not building miniature engines I" sorry, you'll have to look.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This hobby started quite a few years before my miniature engine interests. I try to spend some time on each one througout the year but when I really get into a project it's hard to find the time for all of them. Following is a sampling of some of my work. Over the years I have worked in watercolor and pencil but about 10 years ago I got into colored pencil. I really enjoy automobiles, new and old, so alot of my work is mechanical in nature but I also do many other subjects.
gbritnell

RED32FORDFIN.jpg

CASETRACTIONENGINE.jpg

SAM-1.jpg

WHIZZER.jpg

HANNAH.jpg

I know its a trite phrase , but nice artwork
Tin

WOW FANTASTIC WORK , the detail and reflections in the car body work is out of this world :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
i would love to be able to draw :(
Regards ROB
have to ask gbritnell how do you do the chrome parts?

It is not fair that one man is blessed with so many talents.
Please continue to show us your work.

Very very nice.

...and what Stan said...or is about to say...I saw his post while I was typing mine...

After seeing those drawings I can understand how you get so detailed with your model engines. Soooooo much talent.

My fav is the Case 65. Outstanding rendering. Very nice indeed.

BC1
Jim

Thank you everyone for the gracious comments. Rob, chrome like shiny paint is represented by the reflection of objects surrounding it. Your mind has been programmed to see chrome as something shiny but when you render it on paper you show the mind what it's used to seeing. A lot of times chrome will reflect the sky so therefore you see blue and you say that's chrome without ever asking why it's chrome. There are times when the hood on a red car is actually blue because of the sky's reflection but you don't pay attention to it because you see the rest of the car as red so therefore the hood is red. If I painted a picture of a car without reflections it would seem flat and unrealistic. Here are a few more cars with reflections. The Lincoln roadster is actually shiny black, so shiny in fact that except for a few surfaces everything else is a reflection of the sky and objects around it. The Cord and the 55 Chevy are also have highly refective surfaces.
gbritnell

LINCOLN.jpg

55CHEVFINLIT.jpg

CORD-1.jpg

BAKERENGCRP.jpg

Hi gbritnell , so that's how its dun,you make it sound so easy,i have always wondered when i see Chip Fooze do a drawing of a car.
great work, Rob

How long dose it take you to produce one of those works of art?

Very very very good. In fact so good I don't think that engine of the month is real,it's a drawing! he's fooled us all. :big:

Joking of course, superb stuff.

Peter.

Hi Rob,
A picture like the 32 Ford or the Cord can take up to 50 hours to complete, from the initial sketch, transfering onto the paper and then coloring it in. Working with colored pencils takes an extremely long time becuause of the many layers of coloring. To get a desired color you need to apply sometimes up to 5 layers of pencil of different shades to get what you want. Naturally the online representations don't come out as well as the originals.

CHRYSLER100.jpg

BEAVERFLOATPLANE.jpg

PACIFICCOASTHIGHWAY.jpg

OUT STANDING WORK ,I thought it would take a lot longer than 50 hours, mined i struggle with painting by numbers ;D
Do you work from a photo or from memory?
love that sea/land scape.

I think those are photographs. He's just pulling out collective legs. :)
...lew...

George,

I think you should be :bow: "Master" :bow: of the month...you do some very nice work Thanks for sharing...is there anything else that you can show us.

Regards

Philly

Rob, yes I work from photos but not directly. By that I mean I have a large photo collection of cars, animals, skies, flowers etc. When I compose a picture of a car I start with a photo of that car (taken by myself) and then use photos of other elements to complete the composition. Other than going out in the field and doing what is called Plein Aire art most artists will use reference material of some sort. It's hard to have complete knowledge of every subject that you do. When I do portraits I use one of many photos that I take of the person. Not all photos will make an acceptable portrait. The memory part is good for quick oil or watercolor landscapes and such where true accuracy isn't as important.
Philly, are you asking about more artwork?
gbritnell

Very interesting gbritnell ,yep we want too see more artwork :)
Regards Rob

Here's a couple of regular pencil drawings, a car done with watercolor and one done with airbrush and acrylic.
gbritnell

JIMFINKCROP.jpg

COVBRIDGEFIN.jpg

YELLOWMERCER.jpg

GT4090.jpg

So George....is there anything you can't do? :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: ;D

I actually saw that MkII with the Gurney "Bubble".......though I think the colors were different.

Latest posts

Back