Whats up with HMEM?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A little bit of quick research on Mr. Roussey shows that he is a young fellow that is trying to develop his professional writing career. I've got a $10 bill in my pocket that says that he posted here only to claim that it is a site where he has been published. If anyone checks out his claim, the articles are here to back it up. If one reads the articles carefully, however, it is quickly evident that there are many spelling and grammar mistakes present, and it becomes obvious that Mr Roussey is not a very good writer to begin with. When one considers that he plagiarized most (if not all) of his articles, it becomes obvious why he cannot obtain the employment he desires as a writer.

So, for the most part, his articles are not about engines, nor are they about hobby machining or hobbies or machining of any kind for that matter. As Swifty pointed out, his article about the Tin Can Stirling engine was copied directly from the Instructables site, and then only in part, rendering the article useless. Same thing for the wind turbine article. I am intimately familiar with the steps and processes involved with building that particular turbine, and that article is also incomplete and worthless in the manner in which it is posted here. It is my opinion that this fellow is simply using space here to promote his career. That is what sites like LinkIn and Monster are for, but not this one.

I don't offer much here in the way of articles or posts, but when I do have something to post here, it is my own material and is also directly relevant to the subject matter that is the basis for this forum. Forum administrators allowing someone to post stolen articles here while claiming them as his own is just as wrong as stealing them to begin with.

Rant off. :mad:

Hi Guys,

I've not been around here too long, so let me express my feelings !
When I joined I was asked to agree to a set of rules. I'm sure that we all were ! That set of rules I expect to apply to all. Without doubt those rules have been breached and as members of these forums we surely have the right to expect that the moderators enforce these rules in a fair and just manner. If those rules have changed or been modified then the membership should be informed as a matter of course.

As far as the perpetual motion/over unity scam is concerned most if not all the members of these forums wouldn't fall for it. But it lowers the integrity of the forum by allowing it, the forum, to be used in this way.

I checked other forums that Bemjamin Roussey posts articles on, these include forums on biplanes, keeping chickens, goats and wine making. He seems to be an expert in all manner of things, funny enough, all the other forums use the same layout as HMEM, perhaps they are all owned by the same group.

Paul.

I find it funny that Austin has not said a word yet 2 pages of posts. I would think he would be more active with comments

Dave

I did a google search on Benjamin Roussey, the author of the offending articles. He seems to be a serial article poster, there were other forums that he has flooded with articles, he appears to be a writer that wants to get his name in print.

Where are you Austin? The site will be flooded with these articles soon.

Paul.

I was quite honored when my build showed up on the home page; but now I guess all one has to do is spam the site with a bunch of unrelated crap to get there! I was under the impression that these articles or posts were selected by a person who had a clue; I guess that is not the case.

Dave

Take a look at this link: http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/write-for-us/

It may explain what brought Mr. Roussey here in the first place.

For the record I rarely find myself in off topic sections, that's the reason for my lack of response.

Thanks you for bringing the article issue with Benjamin to my attention, it will be corrected.

So here's the deal. For months now I have asked for members to contribute to article writing. I've not gotten to many results. I think that as HMEM moves into the future articles are going to be one of the features that defines us, especially for newcomers. One of the issues outlined in this thread is that we are not seeing a ton of newcomers, and I think to promote the hobby to newcomers we need an easy intro so to speak.

I brought in a team of writers to help jump start the program. If you see incorrect info please alert me to it. Sending me a pm or posting it in announcements and support would be the best option.

Sorry again for being late to the thread.

Technical Articles & Write-Ups

Every article must be original and not posted anywhere else before or after submitting it here.

A few example topics of an article; product reviews, DIY and tutorials (starting flying, how do I _______?, building your own ______), industry news and events, competition reports. These are not suggestions for articles but rather to give you a feel for the category of articles we are looking for.

Article Requirements

1. Article must be on the subject of model engine machining.
2. Article has to be original and written by you.
3. Article must contain at least 3 high-resolution photographs.
4. Article must be a minimum of 500 words.

The above terms about submitting articles were written by Austin, the newer articles do not follow these rules. Over to you now Austin.

Paul.

I have a problem with the fact it can only be submitted here at which point you can't use it in other groups. I have my own prints and photos of a Vari-drive conversion for a Bridgeport mill but I won't put it here alone I have other groups that it maybe useful to as well as a mag Model Engine Builders. So now everybody misses out on something they may want to use. So you may want to rethink this??
Todd

It has to be that way or we get penalized from Google as does the other site you post it to. The almighty google does not like duplicate content.

To be clear, these writers are to help jump start the program. Them being here has already brought more attention to the feature than my months and months of promotion.

It has to be that way or we get penalized from Google as does the other site you post it to. The almighty google does not like duplicate content.

To be clear, these writers are to help jump start the program. Them being here has already brought more attention to the feature than my months and months of promotion.

I don't buy that I've goggle a lot of things and found more than one of them, heck how do you think I found you!!! People join this groups for the knowledge not all people think the same and you can learn a lot from others as well as they can from you, that's why most of us are in multiple sites and groups to learn!

Austin, I'm fine with bringing in writers, but I feel that they should have some degree of knowledge about the subject they are writing about. One of the articles was almost a direct copy from another on the net, I'm not on a witch hunt, but Benjamin Roussey has written articles about the following,
Home Improvments,
RC aircraft,
Finance,
Gaming,
Survival,
Tech Resources,
Smart phone tips,
Children's health,
Pigs,
Goats,
Beer,
Wine,
Biplanes

I gave up looking after that. He is without doubt a well educated man, but it cannot be possible to be proficient in all these articles he writes about. To post articles about model engines and associated items, a bit of experience in the field is necessary.

I have a few ideas for more articles and will endeavour to get moving on them. Where are all you other budding writers, there must be others on this forum who can put a few words together and post an article.

Paul

I find it interesting that "team of writers" are needed to attract newcomers. Most of the 15000+ members joined this group because a bunch of writers of every skill level described in often elegant detail how they were making parts for engines, or showed engines they made, or tools of general interest.

The key is - the doers were active here.

Bring in a team of writers who haven't used a lathe, milling machine or haven't made an engine and :toilet:

I've seen this episode unfold so often in my working life it seems inevitable it will happen here. That's really sad

Phil

I don't buy that I've goggle a lot of things and found more than one of them, heck how do you think I found you!!! People join this groups for the knowledge not all people think the same and you can learn a lot from others as well as they can from you, that's why most of us are in multiple sites and groups to learn!

Of course, piracy is rampant, but it does affect the value to search engines as it causes a conflict in ranking it.

It's something to be seen from the eyes of a programmer.

Austin, I'm fine with bringing in writers, but I feel that they should have some degree of knowledge about the subject they are writing about. One of the articles was almost a direct copy from another on the net, I'm not on a witch hunt, but Benjamin Roussey has written articles about the following,
Home Improvments,
RC aircraft,
Finance,
Gaming,
Survival,
Tech Resources,
Smart phone tips,
Children's health,
Pigs,
Goats,
Beer,
Wine,
Biplanes

I gave up looking after that. He is without doubt a well educated man, but it cannot be possible to be proficient in all these articles he writes about. To post articles about model engines and associated items, a bit of experience in the field is necessary.

I have a few ideas for more articles and will endeavour to get moving on them. Where are all you other budding writers, there must be others on this forum who can put a few words together and post an article.

Paul

He has been stopped. I won't stand for plagiarism.

Know how hard it is to find qualified writers? There's you guys, and you guys. I mean really, the amount of time and attention, knowledge, practice and theory is all here, and all in you, and I just want a way to introduce it to new members coming on and trying to figure out how to get started.

Send me an article Paul. I would be happy to publish it and I'm sure it will be ages ahead of anything a professional writer will provide.

Hi Paul
I would like to do some articles but I don't think that as writers we would be protected to opinions that
would simply get me all fired up:mad:
Some time a simple difference in opinion are experience did cause a few good arguments on this site
and no I'm not in for that kind of stuff or auguments.....
But all I can say is what I post is 100% real with the experience I had doing that kind of stuff and not trying
to impress anyone or side track anyone.
I personaly think that with 51 certificate 5 diplomas 10 years at the university and 1 millions of experiment
gives me a good back ground to write a article.
but putting my head on a block of wood........... no thanks
If writers would be protected to piss poor comment fine.... like when you buy a book do you write the author
back saying you dont agree...NO the same thing should happen here
and thats my 2 cents
AND I STICK TO IT:fan:
cheers

If you break down an informative article or book, the smallest section is usually the hypothesis, or opinion. After that comes attempts to pre-answer criticism of the readers by submitting your data, etc. In a peer reviewed paper, the next step is to have your work scrutinized, harshly. While in college, I had to write and present many of these on the subject go Geology. The panel of professors enjoyed ripping the work of students to shreds. So I understand Paul's point all too well, but understand it's also part of the process. Good part here is no failing grade after.

Every article must be original and not posted anywhere else before or after submitting it here.

ANY ARTICLE AND IMAGES YOU SUBMIT THAT WE USE AND GIVE AN UPGRADED MEMBERSHIP FOR BECOMES THE PROPERTY OF HOMEMODELENGINEMACHINIST.COM.

I think this is the problem right here Austin. There is a lot of work involved in writing a good article. Think about it from the model builders point of view. Why would I go through all that trouble just to give it away. If i'm going to do all that work It will be with the intention of helping others build models. With that in mind, I would want to spread it around to all the forums I visit to give the best chance of it getting found. Given the choice I think I would prefer to post it on 3 or 4 forums and not here than to post it here and nowhere else. That way nobody owns it and it can keep spreading. I think qualified people might be shying away because they don't want the work to be exclusive to here. We are a group that believes that knowledge should be shared freely in the spirit that we all achieve the same goals, running engines. That group extends far beyond HMEM.

ANY ARTICLE AND IMAGES YOU SUBMIT THAT WE USE AND GIVE AN UPGRADED MEMBERSHIP FOR BECOMES THE PROPERTY OF HOMEMODELENGINEMACHINIST.COM.

I think this is the problem right here Austin. There is a lot of work involved in writing a good article. Think about it from the model builders point of view. Why would I go through all that trouble just to give it away. If i'm going to do all that work It will be with the intention of helping others build models. With that in mind, I would want to spread it around to all the forums I visit to give the best chance of it getting found. Given the choice I think I would prefer to post it on 3 or 4 forums and not here than to post it here and nowhere else. That way nobody owns it and it can keep spreading. I think qualified people might be shying away because they don't want the work to be exclusive to here. We are a group that believes that knowledge should be shared freely in the spirit that we all achieve the same goals, running engines. That group extends far beyond HMEM.

Thanks I think you understand what I'm saying if I did it's to help others if not why waste the time and energy to photo, draw, and write about what you did??

I do understand this group and the knowledge extends far beyond HMEM, and I too agree knowledge should be accessed freely, that's why HMEM is free.

If you don't want to write under the current circumstances, what circumstances would you write under?

I appreciate the dialogue on this. I've been trying for many months to get you guys interested and I've had few takers. The articles from Brian and Swifty are superb. Here they are in case anyone missed them.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/entries/cutting-mitre-gears.html

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/entries/Grandpa-Lights-the-Woodstove.html

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/entries/Ghosts-in-the-Forest-Steam-Engine-Tales.html

Austin;
I can only speak as a newbie to this machining/model engineering HOBBY, but I guess that makes me part of your target audience. I signed up for HMEM Version 1.0 NOT because it had/will have polished, well written articles; but because it very obviously had many highly skilled machinists and modelers who were passionate about the hobby and very obviously wanted to help others learn and share the passion.

And they are here not to simply write about what they do - I've had people I didn't know send me tools, parts and knowledge free gratis - pure kindness, so it has very little to do with submitting articles.

This in no way should be seen to lessen the value of contributions that Steve and the many others here, have worked hard to document then generously SHARED. These types of people are my mentors. But it doesn't take only polished articles to make this site valuable (my kind of value at least), it's been many, many, many small bits of help and guidance from these big contributors and those sitting in the shadows who've PM'd quietly to help me.

When HMEM Version 2.0 was implemented I put it on a watch status and became less active. It used to be my main site for this hobby but that changed. As Steve has said, I too try to be active on many sites, and prefer those that are inhabited by those who share. When I started seeing what appeared to me to be a new form of advertising of material not related to this forum I was ready to pull the plug.

You may have been better off to have posted to the members with your concerns about the poor response to the request for written material, then outlined a plan to address it. The approach you used seems to have blindsided many and given the wrong impression.

This was a place to get help and see the artistry and craftsmanship of people who wanted to raise others who were passionate to the same level. I hope it remains so.

I realize you have a tough task with HMEM and hope you can keep it on target.

Cheers Garry

If you don't want to write under the current circumstances, what circumstances would you write under?
[/url]

That my work remains mine. If you need to own it for me to post it then I most likely won't post it. You can host it with my permission but you can't own it.

This one is in the download bin. I doubt any of the new guy's know it's there but it cannot be used because it was posted on 2 other sites. Good material about the hobby bumped for a free energy device. This one could actually help someone build a model engine.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/downloads/files/Offset_turning_the_camshaft.pdf

It's not hard to understand why the actual builder on this site are not getting that warm fuzzy feeling.

Austin, I'm as keen as you to see this site go from strength to strength, but with the stipulation that any articles remain the property of HMEM is a bit of a put off. Why do we need an article section when we already have a download section without these restrictions.

Luc, I see what you mean about being criticised on any article that you submit. The problem is that the article may be your interpretation of how to do things, but not to everyone's liking. This means that the articles would have to be fairly soft in their content, or just an article of basic interest.

As an example only, you cannot say that coil and point ignition is the only way to do things and that electronic ignition is rubbish, you will get so many people argue against this. It may be best to say that you prefer coil and point ignition over electronic.

You have obviously had a very good education, there must be some articles in you somewhere that you can share, I failed high school, only have 3 certificates for topping various years at trade school, and after a 4 year apprenticeship, have a piece of paper telling people that I am a qualified fitter and Machinist. The real learning comes from experience, and it's this experience that is needed to be shared with others.

Paul.

I do understand this group and the knowledge extends far beyond HMEM, and I too agree knowledge should be accessed freely, that's why HMEM is free.

Just a quick question from me.
With a paid suscription you get more space, bigger avatar, no MOBILE advertising? etc, but I am wondering about point 8.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/faq.php?faq=supporting#faq_supportingmembership
Access to Private Forums, so does this mean unless you pay, you won't be able to get into a section that will probably hold all the more attractive articles or builds etc that will be the",
"ANY ARTICLE AND IMAGES YOU SUBMIT THAT WE USE AND GIVE AN UPGRADED MEMBERSHIP FOR BECOMES THE PROPERTY OF HOMEMODELENGINEMACHINIST.COM.
Just asking.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back