What would you build?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am learning to be slow, as Marv says, fast for the hobbyist is generally counterproductive, and sometimes downright dangerous.

I find i need to put a lot of time into setup and clamping, and even then, sometimes the work shifts due to unanticipated forces.

So here's to slow...

Wayne

ronm said:
Definitely the Snow...first on my list...
I'd think the Snow engine is most DEFINITELY NOT a week - long project unless you're some kinda of manic master machinist ! There's quite a few parts and it's a quite involved engine. Albeit a beautiful engine too !

Here's the Yahoo group dedicated towards building that engine :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Snowtandemengine/

I am not sure I can answer that question . It seem when I try to set even a day aside to work on a shop project I get distracted in a different direction. Many of my engines have taken over a year to bring to completion a little at a time.
I can tell you that my "Lucy " and "Webster" took about a week of spare time to build from a Saturday to Saturday. With some focus planning and the wind blowing in the right direction I can see building a simple oscillator. Such as Lucy Webster or the LMS engine in a weeks time. You should also be able to build a McCabe runner in a week or two.
Keep it simple and plan ahead .Taking time to make a screw or run to the hardware store or home depot will slow you down.
It took me a week just to get Cory on paper and decide what color Corian to use.
Rome was not build in a day neither was anyones engine collection here. There are probably some here that could build a little engine on a Saturday but I for one am not one of them right now. And I think you will find few that can do that. Well I could build one of my can turbines in short order does that count???
Be realistic if you do not get it done just keep going and finish as you have time.
Tin

Here's a little story that will hopefully make newcomers feel a bit better.

After I got my Unimat back in '72, I started casting about for an engine project that would be a bit beyond my talents so that I would be forced to learn as I built it.

I bought plans for Rudy Kouhoupt's two cylinder, double acting marine engine because I liked its looks and thought it was something I just might be able to finish some day.

[Aside: In retrospect, this was a bad decision. I should have picked a simpler project and worked my way up to more complex engines.]

I set about making parts for the engine. This entailed learning to work within the limited work envelope of the Unimat as well as designing and building various accessories for the machine and workholding fixtures.

[Another aside: One of the big difficulties with small machines like the Unimat is that commercially available machining accessories are often oversized and thus unusable. Plus, one quickly learns just how much time is eaten up switching what is basically a 3-in-1 machine from one configuration to another.]

Job requirements, two children and a two year stint in France and Germany as a consultant intervened. I finally consigned the Unimat to its present role as a dedicated high-speed miniature milling machine and bought myself a full-size lathe and milling machine. Now I could really get to work and finish that engine.

Problem was, as soon as I decided to start work, I'd look at the last part I'd made and say, "What junk! I can do better than that now." and set to work remaking the part.
There are parts on that engine that have been remade as often as six times.

While the box of engine parts occasionally grew by one, my motivation was flagging badly so I gave it up as a lost cause and set to work building a simple oscillator. I managed to finish that in a few months and was over the moon when it finally ran. Even my wife remarked about how excited I was about the "little machine that rattles".

One day my wife came out to the shop with some knives that needed sharpening and spied the box of engine parts. "What's that?" "Parts for that engine I gave up on." "Gee, it looks like you have a lot of parts. Why don't you finish it?" Suitably shamed, I got back to work and quickly discovered that I'd learned a lot since I started that engine. In a few weeks the engine was finished and ran nicely first time out.

I sat down and did a bit of arithmetic and discovered that it had taken me FIFTEEN YEARS to finish my 'first' engine. [When I said above that I was slow, I wasn't joking.]

I offer this story not to advertise my patience (I'm as impatient as the next guy and it's a real trial to keep it under control) or my (stubborn German) persistence but rather to point out to the newcomers here that even those of us who have a bit of time in on this hobby once had to fight the frustration of things seeming to take just too long to get finished.

Try to remember that you'll soon forget how long it took to build that special model but the glow of having something unique made with your own hands will last forever.

marine3.jpg

One datapoint, for what it's worth.. I started the small sterling fan Jan 19th, and finished it got it running Feb 10th (~22 days). It's got about 30 machined parts and will be my 4th engine. I had several day-or-two's away from the shop, but worked on it pretty steadily otherwise and counting the multiple-identical parts (fan blades, bearing stands, rod ends) as one part each, since I batched them, I did about one a day on average.

I guess it was more like 3 years fom the time I started my firt engine until the time I finshed it. there were afew that sat for a while and then were completed and several projects still sitting.I may be crazy or not I am kind of working on four engines at once right now a pair of elmers mine engines and a pair of elmers mill engines. My son was supposed to be working with me on these so each of us wouldhave one of each. but he is 18 now where he has other things on his mind.
this weekend I did the four crank screws for the engines. In the long run It will save time because I am making multiple parts before changing the setup and each part is a little nicer and quicker that its older brother. But it seems very slow. One of these days I need to take a photo of the parts pile to post in the works in progress section .
Tin

This is a picture of the very first engine I ever built, probably 15 years ago. I think it only took me a couple of weekends. Not very "pretty", but it runs nice and smooth. The flywheel is about 3" in diameter and is made up of steep pipe for the rim, 1/4" steel rod for the spokes and steel rod for the hub. I drilled the holes through from the outside of the rim, inserted the spokes through to the hub, then welded the spokes to the rim around the outside. I then turned down the outer side of the rim, but you can still see the welds in some places.

first.jpg

Chuck

I just had an idea for an engine you can build in < a week :D - Try making the paper steam engine that I uploaded into the Downloads area here. 8)

I'm new here and to the model world. I haven't used machine shop equipment since high school. I purchased a completed engine and a mechanic's kit which is next on my list.
But I have a question, has anyone built an engine from junk?

I'm new here and to the model world. I haven't used machine shop equipment since high school. I purchased a completed engine and a mechanic's kit which is next on my list.
I've had quite a few engine projects that ended up as junk!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

If you are talking about "bar-stock" construction, ie: build the various engine parts from scrap metal, yes, it is very common.
One-person's junk is another person's gold.
I use "junk" electric motor end bells to make new engines.
Its all in how you drive it, as they say.

rImg_1894.jpg

rImg_1895.jpg

REV6-rImg_7826.jpg

I often go to the hardware store, or northern tool, and just browse the aisles and find something metal that roughly matches the shape of what I want/need, and then modify the metal to suit my needs.

As far as I am concerned, many things can be an engine part.
You can buy old engine parts on ebay too, and use those, such as crankshafts, pistons, rods.

Welcome, Skeehorse. All of my engine building to date - in fact, just about anything I machine - is made almost entirely from scrap that I have acquired for free. I have quite a lot of steel, a few bits and bobs of aluminum (sorry, no aluminium on hand), brass, cast iron. Here is the Webster that I made almost entirely from scrap steel: Introducing ... the "Steel Webster"

Welcome, Skeehorse. All of my engine building to date - in fact, just about anything I machine - is made almost entirely from scrap that I have acquired for free. I have quite a lot of steel, a few bits and bobs of aluminum (sorry, no aluminium on hand), brass, cast iron. Here is the Webster that I made almost entirely from scrap steel: Introducing ... the "Steel Webster"
That is nice. I'm going to read through this thread when I get a chance.
I'm going to go through my junk and see what I can use.

What would you build if you had a week or 2 to spend in the shop?
That was my first thought. What would I be able to accomplish in two weeks. (provided I really would start to do anything and spent "full days")
Would a remix of Elmers horizontal mill Engine into a two cylinder model be a 1 week project?

It never ceases to amaze me what some of you guys can build in just a few hours let alone a couple of weeks... it took me all afternoon today just to make one flanged plate for my new boiler.
In a couple of weeks I could probably build the simplest of engines and that would be nice.

I don't know about the rest of the "guys" but I'm slow... way slow.

I feel quite slow myself. Seems I do not get anything done and everything takes ages.
I am doing things by myself, so it is hard to get a feel if I am really that slow, or if that metal working just takes long. (specially if you learn from youtube and internet as you go along)
Hoping that I may get a little more efficient over time is my only chance.

Cheers Timo

If I could spend a solid two weeks in the shop, doing nothing else - not changing the plans, not waiting on parts, not building a tool or fixture to help me with the project - yes, I think I could build a relatively simple model in that time frame. Not an 18-cylinder radial, for sure, but certainly a Webster.

The problem is, I have no idea what a two-week period as described above actually looks like, because I have never experienced it!

Latest posts

Back