What would you build?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass_Machine

Reaction score
What would you build if you had a week or 2 to spend in the shop?

Over the next couple of months I am going to be trying something new. Before I can, I need to clean, organize, make tools & jigs... After that I want to take a week or so and build an engine. I figure a steamer or sterling, but I am not sure which I want to do. I have so many engines I want to build... I am very undecided.

So... if you had a week to spend in the shop, what would you build??

Eric

... a clear path into the machines & bench. ;)

You do realize that no one but you can answer this question?

Nevertheless, here are a few suggestions.

Make an ordered list where the tooling you mention precedes the engine whose build would be simplified by using that tooling. Start at the top of the list and work down. There's little so rewarding as immediately using tooling you just built on a project you want to complete.

Pretend that your desk is on fire and you only have time to save the plans for one project before the whole thing goes up in smoke. Which plans would you save?

Ask your wife/SO which project she thinks is the coolest.

Pretend you're going to an exhibition in two weeks and need something to show.

Build the project for which you already have all the materials to hand.

Accept the fact that you can't do it all at once and start building anything.

tel said:
... a clear path into the machines & bench. ;)

I did that last week. ;D

mklotz said:
You do realize that no one but you can answer this question?

Ask your wife/SO which project she thinks is the coolest.

Accept the fact that you can't do it all at once and start building anything.

Of course I realize that, but it never hurts to ask others of their opinions. It may help me narrow it down or someone may have an idea I had not thought of. ;D

Can't ask my wife... she would be as undecided as I am. She tends to like most of what I show her. I take that back, she would like a small sterling fan...

Thanks!

Eric

What about the snow engine ,or a radial like Swede has as his avitar? (JJ) and maybe it's better not to mention it to the wife!

Thats easy id put some effort into finishing the steam injector thats sat on my bench for 18 months.
Id then fit it and be semi happy.

A better question would be "How do I get 2 weeks spare to do what I want"

A second question would be "How bad is divorce in reality"

A third question would be "Could I afford to build after a divorce".

Cheers KEvin

If I wanted to build something through to the end and not just start building something, I'd spent a bit of time thinking about how many parts per day I can reasonably make, and look for something in that size range. I'd also have to inventory the tool availability. It would suck to be 4 days in and break your only-available-mail-order tap.

Eric what about that wobbler you posted about that's on the Little Machine Shop site. I just took a look at it and it looks like it won't require really tiny taps. I am lacking big time in that area right now and sooner or later start getting the smaller taps. I have from 4/40 up.

I'd pick a project that was memorable when finished, because after all, how often does one get the luxury of total focus?

I would also look for something that gives me an opportunity to learn something new. That one is trickier, but I tend towards doing the projects that include learning opportunites, and sometimes I have to just create those opportunities. For example, my power drawbar mostly got done because it gave me a chance to fiddle with a compressed air mechanism and I'd never done that. My disc sander involves lots of operations that are fairly new to me.

Who knows, maybe your week is better spent on a difficult piece of tooling that would make you much more productive in the shop going forward.

In any event, you've got the best thing going: nothing better than dreaming about a new project!

Best,

BW

If I had that kind of uninterrupted time I know what I'd build.

I would do a second build of the Poppin Flame Licker engine.
The first time I built it I was too anxious to see it run to take the time
to make it the elegant model that it should be.

Even without the time, that is on my to do list.

Rick

Brass_Machine said:
What would you build if you had a week or 2 to spend in the shop?

So... if you had a week to spend in the shop, what would you build??
I actually had that experience back in December. I made myself a short list of repairs to complete & tooling to build.

The main thing I learned is that everything you (at least me anyway) do in machining accelerates the clock by at least a factor of four. One tool on my list that I had budgeted 1/2 day for ended up taking 2 to complete. Make sure you don't plan on completing too many or too large a single project or you'll end up being disappointed & depressed.

Usually no depression sneaks in while you're in the shop, just after the week or two's over and that 1/12 scale, 28 cylinder R-4360 radial isn't completed and sitting on your desk.;)

I've never had a week to focus on one project. I usually end up working on the house:O( But, I have the patterns for my Tesla turbine made. I'd like to finish them up then cast and machine them. Ether that or finish my LTD's. Or there's a couple cannon projects that need attention. Sounds like I need to finish a few things before I start anything new:O)

Wes

Let's see. I get the wife to randomly open the Elemers engine book while my eyes were closed. (I just about know approx. were all the engiens are that's why I want her to open the book) And that would be the engien I'd build.

But then I'm already working on two of his engines. All I need is a week or two or................ to finish them. ;D

Bernd

it would take me a week to figure out what i have to finish before i could think of anything new :eek:

besides who gets an un-interupted week....house,wife,kids????
even on holidays my work still calls me about stuff..........
chuck

It never ceases to amaze me what some of you guys can build in just a few hours let alone a couple of weeks... it took me all afternoon today just to make one flanged plate for my new boiler.

In a couple of weeks I could probably build the simplest of engines and that would be nice.

gilessim said:
What about the snow engine ,or a radial like Swede has as his avitar? (JJ) and maybe it's better not to mention it to the wife!
Definitely the Snow...first on my list...

SignalFailure said:
It never ceases to amaze me what some of you guys can build in just a few hours let alone a couple of weeks... it took me all afternoon today just to make one flanged plate for my new boiler.

I don't know about the rest of the "guys" but I'm slow... way slow.

I learned a long time ago that working fast never speeds up a project. It's a great way to create beautifully sculpted pieces of scrap and maybe injure yourself in the process but it surely doesn't produce engines quickly.

Remember that we have two types of creatures on this board. The professional machinists who do what we do as a hobby have trained all their life to produce quality parts quickly. That's fine for them but for us 'true' hobbyists (and I include myself here) it's a matter of learning technique and skill while, at the same time, trying to produce a usable part.

So much of this hobby is a matter of personal psychology. An important part of that psychology is maintaining a sense of accomplishment over a long period of time while producing, from the professional's viewpoint, very little.

Whenever I go out into the shop I try to set myself a small task that I know that I can accomplish in that session while working slowly, methodically and carefully. Sometimes that task can be ridiculously small - like jigging up a part so that I make some cut or drill some hole tomorrow and get it right because the part is held at the right attitude and is held securely enough that I don't need to worry about slippage, broken tools or shrapnel flung around the shop.

When done, I admire what (little) I've done and congratulate myself on having completed another task I set myself and having done so in the time alloted. I do this mental back-patting while I clean up and put tools away - thus avoiding the temptation to "do just a little more on the..." - an invitation to screwing something up.

This works for me. It won't work for everybody. That's where the "personal" psychology comes in. You'll have to figure out for yourself how to trick yourself to maintain that sense of accomplishment that will keep you working, albeit slowly, towards your final product.

I would like to build a Pickering Govenor. This would controll my steam engine for my pencil sharpener. But before that I would need to make my boiler feed pump, but before that I need to finish my automatic half nut for my pencil sharper, but before that I need to make my convor belt to take away the chips from the pencil sharpener, before that I need to make a boiler waist pencil sharpeners fire box, but before that I need to make an auger that takes the pencil sharpener chips form the conveyor and feeds them into the auger, before that I need to take the steam form the boiler and feed it to the boiler feed pump, before that I need to make a blow cock for the graber piston to hold the pencil, before that I need to make a carriage return counter weight to return the carriage, after that I need to make a fly ball govonor to slow the carriage down so it doesn't bump into the stop, after that I need to make _----------------- I don't know what I need to make any more.
Don

Latest posts

Back