What Makes a Hobby Machinist?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken I said:
- machining is not a skill like the ability to paint a picture but something that everyone can learn to do.

Without intending to start an argument in psychology or philosophy or anything, I only agree with this statement up to a point. I work as the technical for a theatre dept. in a small college. That means we build the "sets" or scenery for the plays the department performs. I get students with little or no skill in carpentry (we sometimes do some metal stuff too) and try to teach them to build scenery. I can teach them the basic skills, yes. Once they seem comfortable with that I can keep adding tidbits of info, advice to improve accuracy or make their job easier. But there often seems to quickly come a point where I have to let them fly on their own. Some keep growing and learning, others barely get past the "basics" and just don't seem to "get it".

I think using tools (of any kind) to build/create is not unlike painting or music. Some have a "talent" for it; some don't. I have a few basic skills. If I keep doing the same things long enough I get better. I have a friend that makes just about everything I do look like a child's attempt when it comes to tools. I look at some of the projects displayed here and think to myself; "I'll never get there".

But, to me, home shop machining (or any hobby) is--to quote or paraphrase someone else in this thread-- "all about the process". If I'm enjoying myself, who cares if I make the same things as others, or if mine looks as good as someone else's. I'm pleased enough when it is completed to the best of MY ability and that is what counts. So, enjoying the learning curve, being pleased with what you create, trying to improve your skills and having a project to occupy the brain and hands when you can get to it.

Probably just said they same things as everyone else but in a few different words.

Paul

Paul,
My comments are indeed myopic, I can design and build complex machinery but I can't paint worth a damn or carry a tune in a bucket.

Having said that I still hold that most can master any skill through dilligence - to workmanlike levels.

I have seen machinists that enter the realm of artistry in their abilities.

I worked with such a machinist - one day chatting to him over his lathe (while he was working it - not good practice) - he casually machined a 0.125" x 45° chamfer in an azimuth mount without any reference to his dials or measuring equipment by turning both dials simultaneously as if he was breaking an edge - whilst simultaneously chatting to me (who says men can't multitask).

I said "Len - thats a precision angle - not a chamfer" [ It was tolleranced to 0.125 ±0.005 / 45°±½°] he looked at me balefully, took it out of the chuck, pointed to his eye and handed me the part and his vernier - to my surprise it was spot on - he did 20 in a row and I inspected the entire batch thouroghly - every one was smack in the middle of the tollerance.

Now I can't do that but I can easilly machine a 0.125 x 45° chamfer - but there is a difference.

And like you said we do this hobby to please ourselves.

Ken

Tin Falcon said:
Teaching
We are not in it for the income
We are in it for the outcome !
Tin

I really like that!

Bogs is spot on about the 1% to 2% knowledge of machining after decades of practice.
As I said in my original post, every material / machine combination is going to be a little different
when it comes to consistently hitting a size. That is all part of the learning curve.

If you can consistently hit a size on a hobby size lathe you would be able to do it much easier
on an industrial machine. There are companies all around world begging for skilled machinist to apply.

You never know where a hobby could lead to.

Rick

Mosey said:
As one who knows much less than others about this hobby, I frequently screw up the work by not doing things in the right sequence. I wonder if there might be some suggestions along this line that you guys could make, even though you can generalize too much without knowing the specifics.

Mosey,

In another thread you have offered to assist with engineering drawing and layout. IMHO house, car, boat, plane, model engine etc. have to be designed. Some of us can do this as we progress from one piece of metal to another, (no drawings involved), most of us work from a plan either our own or one already available.

As an amateur drawer/designer I tend to draw as I would build. My gut feel is that professional draftsmen must have some idea how there efforts will be produced in the real world so I guess what I'm trying to say is your a long way down the sequence track already based on your knowledge of drawings and blocks etc.etc.

Best Regards
Bob

the great thing about this hobby is there is always a higher level to be achieved.
tin

Tin Falcon said:
the great thing about this hobby is there is always a higher level to be achieved.
tin

Well said Tin,

Ken I said:
Having said that I still hold that most can master any skill through dilligence - to workmanlike levels.

I have seen machinists that enter the realm of artistry in their abilities.
There are people that work there whole life at a trade and learn very little about it. This is what I call getting by. There is not a person with mental capabilities that can not master a skill,as Ken has said through diligence. You do not master a skill by just doing, you have to apply yourself, and by applying yourself I mean learn the written text about your craft take time to understand all there is to know about it. Seek someone with high knowledge if you do not understand something. Don,t just stop learning about it just because you have done it for 30 years there is new technology coming out every year. We have to learn to reapply ourselves.

Don

I think everything said here is spot on. One thing that I see holding people back from activities that they view as highly skilled is their own lack of confidence.

They think, "That looks hard. I can't do that.", and they don't even try.

I suspect a lot of the folks around here are more like me, and are just to dense in the head to realize they don't know how to do something and try it anyway. Due to some persistence, some experienced gained by jumping in with both feet a few times before, and some inherent ability, I usually come out OK.

Of course, "I bet I can do that", have been the last words of a few people, so I suspect there has to be some balance. However, I think just trying is most of the battle.

I'm a golfer.
A man named AJ Boner is a respected professional golf instructor.

One of his training techniques is to mount a hammer head to the end of a golf club shaft
and set down a golf ball with a 6" long nail stuck through it.

Can you hit that nail with this hammer?
Of course you can.
Make it a golf club and golf ball, NOW IT'S HARD TO DO!

That makes a lot of sense.
Can you sharpen a pencil with a knife?
If you don't take enough wood off the pencil won't work. You're oversize.
If you take too much wood off the pencil won't work. You're undersize.

Do that in a lathe, NOW IT'S HARD TO DO!

Or is it?

Rick

For me it's the desire to make something better than the last one. Having spent my career meeting deadlines, working at a comfortable pace and enjoying the process, in my mind has made me a better machinist. This is a hobby, not a job when it starts to feel that way I step back and take a breather. The folks that post pictures and desciptions of their builds in progress have been a great help. Machining metal is a little like woodworking in the sense that no matter how big the project it's always made up of smaller pieces put together. Roger

It's the learning thing with me. I've always admired the skills involved....I don't have all of them.....not even most of them! :big:

I sure as he()*E love trying them and getting better at them !

When I do gain a new bit of technique or knowledge, I have just as much fun talkiing about it and teaching it to others as I did learning it in the first place. I know I've come a long way from where I was....and there is a long way to go yet!
Don't be afraid to try because you might fail...you can learn a lot from the failure!....just be safe doing it.

Dave

Latest posts

Back