What is your answer to this question?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chads

Reaction score
As an RC aircraft pilot, I used to hate the stupid questions I would get at the field such as "How high can it go?" and "Did you ever crash?" etc...

Now that I have completed my first IC engine I get a new stupid question.

"What are you going to use it for?"

I don't see why people can't appreciate the time and talent that goes into building an engine.

Do you guys ever get this question. If so, what do you tell them?

It's that most people are educated to appreciate "things" and not "action". I'd speculate that it is because it's much easier to sell "things". So that "thing" you built, what do you use it for? Is a way for people educated in this manner to associate with your work, your job is to educate them differently so that they see value in the process.

Don't get me started on "how much did it cost?"

My favorite question I got when I was building an adapter for a BMW to a T5 transmissions: "wait... that works?" well no, nothing just works, everything takes time and effort to "work" and therefore everything can work with the proper time and effort. The other favorite is "how did you start?"

Oh hell ya. Why did you build a Steamboat? Why wouldn't you want a regular boat that you can ski behind?...

::)

Dave

Chads
Welcome to miniature engines. That question and several variations of it are heard at every venue where I've shown my engines. I also get it from friends, neighbors and family My current stock answer tends to be " It exists purely to entertain me until I'm looking up at the wrong side of the daisies".

Others are...
Where can I get one?
What would you charge to make me one just like it?
Is yours for sale?
You want how much?!!!!!!
Why make one when you can buy one?
Don't you have better things to do with your time?

The truly clueless wouldn't understand any of the reasons anyway.

Steve

I fly model rc helicopters. The first question I often get is, "Can you mount a gun on it?"

You'll get a couple that want to buy it....and they think $50 is a real number....make sure you quote something truly outrageous....you never know they might bite, and you get a new Hardinge out of it :big:

I did....and no I didn't make the sale and get the Hardinge.... :'(

Dave

After watching my Odd N Ends running on the bench this guy looked at the RC model planes in my shop and said "what airplane you going to put that engine in?" ??? ??? ???

When I realized (unbelievably) he was serious I pointed to a J3 Cub model and said "that one." :big: :big: :big:

Crazy...

Jeff

jpeter said:
I fly model rc helicopters. The first question I often get is, "Can you mount a gun on it?"

Welll......can you? :big:

None has topped the guy who thoughly chastised me for my collection not being under the care of a museum. It turned out he has just such a museum. To ice the cake, he had his attorney contact me to inform me he had a transfer agreement drawn up and awaiting my signature. You don't want to hear me repeat what he heard that day.

I still spot him from time to time, but the guy studiously avoids me, when I'm displaying. Hope springs eternal that he'll get stupid again, even if only for just a brief moment.

Steve

steamer said:
Welll......can you? :big:

No no ...better yet....."well the power to weight ratio is a bit sub-optimal with Ma deuce, but the 30 cal maximizes the flight time /fire power ratio, and only cost a couple million". That should get the guys in the black suites showing up!.... ;D

Howmuchisit?About 12 years pocket money.

Waddisit?A water transmogrifier.

How long does it take to make it?3years(if it's a sensible looking cove,about 6 months).

You can tell them it converts linear motion into rotational motion :big:

I tell people a high price and then compare it to "The Mona Lisa". For roughly a million dollars less you can have a piece of art that actually does something. Leonardo da Vinci greatest works of art were not paintings.

Of course the famous line that Michael Faraday and Ben Franklin used when approached with the same question.

"Of what Good Is a Newborn Baby"

Kel

The local machining club meeting tends to consist of anywhere from a half-dozen to a dozen guys sitting around the tables in the back room of the BBQ place chatting about whatever. A couple months ago I had my partially-completed Stirling Bas there among other people's show-n-tell and a set of passers-by (man, wife, kid) asked us what was going on (typically passers-by give us a sideways glance and sort of scurry their way out the door). After some explanations that seemed to go a little bit over head came "What's that?" "A Stirling engine" "a Stirling engine, how nice... What are you going to use it for?" "Christmas Present". ;D ;D

Chads: welcome to model engineering.
I think we all get those . especially those of us that exhibit at shows.
the fact is sadly only a small segment of the population has any concept of making something with there hands and mind other than a simple paper airplane.
the you have to much time on your hands is likely one of the most trite and ignorant.
but I have gotten the:
What does it do?
What is it for?
How long does it take to make one?
Are they for sale?
Tin

No! this is wrong. Where is the moderator this thread should be stopped.
This is not how we should behave, there is no such thing as a stupid question.
We should have the time and passion to see beyond the question. Show them our passion for our hobby, passion can be infectious.
By this demeaning thread all we are doing is bringing our hobby into disrespect.

Please let’s not do this sort of thing.

Dave

Wooww! OK, I would by my estimate conservatively say that 99% of this thread has been in good humor only. Or at the very least with a smirk, as we've all had this question posed

With one serious question. How do you answer some the "interesting" questions.

I've meant no disrespect to anyone. Nor has anyone else been disrespectful...at least as far as I can tell.

Now Dave, please, expound on the demeaning portions? I would like to hear

If your concerned that we suggest that we be insulting to the normal kind folk, I can assure you we are not and most understand passion. They have their own passions, if they're industrious.

My run ins have been with people with way too much money. They don't qualify in my book.

But please tell us what you think...

Dave

No! this is wrong. Where is the moderator this thread should be stopped.
This is not how we should behave, there is no such thing as a stupid question.
We should have the time and passion to see beyond the question. Show them our passion for our hobby, passion can be infectious.
By this demeaning thread all we are doing is bringing our hobby into disrespect.

Please let’s not do this sort of thing.

Dave
Dave I do no not see an real beef with this thread. You do have some valid points.

there is no such thing as a stupid question.
True and the questions here , at shows , and from family and friends are all answered respectfully.

All folks here and at shows should be treated respectively and I believe 99. XX percent of the time they are.

I have seen no demeaning comments made or anyone suggesting demeaning comments.
Just a few guys blowing off a little steam about repeated frustrating comments from innocently ignorant folk. Not name calling they just do not understand . Yes we need to teach them machining engines is a fun hobby and I believe this is done here and at shows.
Tin

Hello Dave
I don’t wish to go into individual threads, only to say we are lowering our own dignity by poking fun at people who do not understand why we do such things. (hence why I used the term demeaning threads)

All I am saying if we all took the time to see beyond the question, and just talk to them, then maybe we would not be seen as a bunch of arrogant so and so’s.

These threads are just poking fun, it is for amusement only, it does not enhance our hobby to ourselves or anyone else.

I just don’t think we should we should do this type of thing – at least not on this forum.

I could be more specific but I really don’t want to. And yes I do believe in free speech.

Maybe it is just because I’m a “grumpy old so and so” but I like being a “grumpy old so and so”

Dave

Latest posts

Back