What is your answer to this question?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have gone over this thread three or four times now and I have to say some, maybe all of these posts is better, reflect nothing more than what people have seen and heard about what they have accomplished. I love the one about the machine gun. As a past 3D pilot, non comp., I have heard that one many times. I just tell them, "You buy it, I'll mount it".
We need to lighten up a little Dave, no you are not a grumpy guy, I hold that title proudly. These guys are quoting from experience, no more no less.
There are a million stories in the Naked city, This is only one of them.

"Bill Gruby

Good Morning, Gents!

'Mrs. Tin" here.

Tin told me a bit about this thread, and left it open for me to read for myself (as he was desperately trying to get out the door to work; you'd think it was a MONDAY morning! :( ).

As some of you know, I travel to many of the shows with Tin, and even exhibit a couple of engines I (mostly - with a bit of help ;) ) created. Many of the questions you shared have come our way over the years. It's kinda fun, being a woman exhibiter, with a pink engine no less, and actually being able to answer - honestly, and kindly, of course. When Tin gets started, he'll take them from the most basic, through the more complicated, explaining as he goes, and showing them several done in Lucite for just that reason. Our display has become very much a 'teaching station' - both for those who know nothing (which I can actually help with), and for those needing advise for some steps in the processes (Tin's really good at this!).

DaveH - I'd be pretty surprised if these other gents throw fun-intentioned comments out, without following with more rational explanations. (Back me up on this, will you, Gents? :-\). For myself, I wouldn't use the word 'stupid' - even though that's how it might feel to US (who know). But many, as Tin commented, are 'innocently ignorant'. And, as another put it (forgive me for not going back to give proper credit), the average person is so steeped in 'things', and what they're 'good for', that they do sometimes have to be educated about building engines just for the fun of it. Our kids/grandkids are so caught up in 'virtual' games, the real thing all too often eludes them. One of our great delights is when a younger person suddenly gets excited about MAKING something - and tugs dad/granddad away from our table to go home and DO it!!

Have to agree with Tin; I think the forum members are blowing off a little steam between themselves, and not intending to demean anyone. Neither do I think they would intentionally speak unkindly to anyone in person - with the exception of that museum dude, who was incredibly presumptuous!!!!!

I wouldn't WANT to see this thread closed, as I've gotten some chuckles out of it myself! :big:

As to your being a 'grumpy old man' - nonsense! While I do believe the gents are just having a wee bit of fun with the questioners, if anyone IS actually, seriously being over-the-top in their comments to the uninitiated, they'll perhaps hesitate some the next time, because of your input. We all need to remember to think before we speak, and with 'age' should come wisdom - and respect is due. :bow:

Praying you have a GREAT DAY!!

"Mrs. Tin"

DaveH - Just caught your laugh at Tin's 'blowing off steam'. Funny, I MISSED the pun in that - and Tin may have, too! Sounds like you've already mellowed on this, and I'm glad!! ;)

I too believe that no ill intentions were displayed on this thread.

What is being left out is the rest of the conversation. I may answer this question with a "Smart@$$" comment, but I always go into depth on why I do it, and more importantly how I do it. The comment is meant to be a News Headline for the story they are about to hear.

I am sure for most people this is just the beginning of a long conversation on why we do what we do.

Kel

Oh No. :eek:

I did'nt mean to start an argument here and maybe I should not of used the word "stupid" question. I'm the kind of person that gets upset when I go to the hardware store to make something work for a project and the salesperson ask's "what's it for?" I always think to myself, who cares what its for, I just need it...

This thread can be closed if you all wish. I never meant any harm. I just wanted to know what your response was to a question I have received many times over. There have been a couple members here that have made me laugh and I may just use those responses :big:

Chads

No, don't close the thread because one poster thinks it is "demeaning".
One must remember that this is "The Break Room" where people "take 10" and let the topics wander.

I have always been a "tinkerer" and many people I have run into over the years have been curious and impressed with some of the projects they have found me working on. Most are intrigued and want to know more. "How did you do that?" and "What are you going to do with it?" are their attempts to understand something they know nothing about or never thought of. It is their attempt to gain more knowledge. As most, if not all, posters here find a touch of humor in the questions, (hence the smirk), but we all recognize that this is a "teaching moment" where we can enlighten the questioner on topics they know nothing about.

It is that "Ahh Ha!" moment that gives us pleasure when we see the light bulb go on in their eyes! We have just altered the way someone looks at the world and maybe, just maybe, started that individual down a different path. Most questioners will do nothing with the info we have given them but they have new knowledge of how the world around them works and their natural curiosity is appeased. Perhaps the person we inspire is young and our gift to that person is vision, persistence and passion. What better gift can we give to youth?

Only the most crass, jaded grump would be snide or insulting to anyone asking questions about something the grump built, designed, drew, painted, crafted, whatever. Thank God, I have never run into anyone like that who "tinkers".

This is a small website in a small orbit of websites on a galaxy of other websites in a small corner of the place we call the internet. There are not many of us out there compared to other pursuits like baseball or golf. It is highly unlikely anything said here is going to go viral and be splashed across the six o'clock news. In "The Break Room" we can discuss the idiosyncrasies of the human race in a respectful manner and no one should be offended.

I built an RC Marblehead class model sailboat (50 inches long) that used a servo for the rudder and a sail winch (a small servo controlled reversible electric motor with a 950 to 1 gear reduction to move an arm that was rigged with sheets and pulleys to pull in and let out the sails.) It was, of course, sailed by RC, and operated like any sailboat. Everyone who saw it, or saw me sailing it, asked where the propeller was, or what kind of motor powered it. After the tenth time or so, I had to grit my teeth and work very hard to kindly explain that it was an actual sailboat, and that the wind made it go. Most were excited to learn about it, but a few went away totally unconvinced.

"What are you going to use it for?"

If I'm having one of my cynical, misanthropic days, I generally answer...

Building engines helps me to repress the powerful urge to kill people who ask stupid questions.

While I can understand the point of view that not every living person can possess infinite knowledge and may not know what every mechanism is used for, I can say that such questions of "what's it for?" are a bit oxymoronic at best. Most of these types of questions are inquired at model exhibition shows that have multitudes of like examples on display. Some of these same people that ask these questions have paid an entrance fee at the door. They had to realize that what they were forking over their hard earned cash for was the opportunity to see model engines. (aside: the point being they weren't attending a flower show, etc.) Thereby when the aforementioned question gets asked, it does in a simplistically logical sense, become what is being charged by many as being politically incorrect, a 'stupid question'. Does that infer that the person asking is stupid? No. (well maybe) Or is it meant to convey some lack of sensibilities of the person asking? (Yes and No) Truly the phrase, "a stupid question" relates to the lack of understanding of what something does, and most individuals, myself included, will ask for clarity in the simplest terms., "what's it for". Now on the other hand, if the same individual were to inquire "how is this device used?" or "what work applications could this device be applied?", would that be considered a "stupid question". I think not. The information being asked for is the same, it's just that the level of fundamental understanding has been elevated to indicate some sense of credibility on the person asking the question. It becomes more a matter of how an inquiry is made and not the lack of understanding towards the subject of interest. We all have asked "stupid questions" and if you are like me, (lord I hope not) I'm sure at some time, will do so again. We should all challenge ourselves to remember, there very well way be no stupid questions in life, but there certainly are entirely too many stupid answers.
:bow:
BC1
Jim

Anyone who has publicly displayed their engines will attest to the fact that questions are a major part of the experience. When your bladder is screaming and the conversation is showing no sign of ending, you stand there and suffer as you patiently address each question. Yes... some of the questions are repeated many times and yes... sometime we do answer tongue in cheek, but a bit of humor is always a part of that. You generally don't last long if you are grumpy, because no one is having any fun, especially you.

I don't think anyone is being critical. Even those who don't quite get it, are at least curious, even if they never understand what we do or why we do it. Each question answered, no matter how innocuous, means the person leaves with a bit more knowledge. That probably covers the "why" as well as any reason I can think of.

Where can I get one?
Each one is hand made so you'd have to build it
What would you charge to make me one just like it?
I'd be happy to discuss it, but it would be rather expensive
Is yours for sale?
1-Sorry, my grandsons already have the whole collection divided up, when I go.
2- $XXXX.XX (large dollars) might put me in the mood to consider it
You want how much?!!!!!!
1- It's the only one in the world, of its kind, so I'm just a little attached to it.
2- That just about covers my labor... I'm tossing all the metal in for free.
Why make one when you can buy one?
With prices at current levels, I can't afford to buy one, so I have to make my own
Don't you have better things to do with your time?
1- Yes.... but the bank robbery thing is why I'm retired.
2- Yes.... but the wife gets pretty tired after awhile
3- Yes.... but the neighbors kept reporting me.
4- Yes.... Do you like moonshine?
5- Yes.... but this makes it so much easier to be as eccentric as my grandkids think I am.

Steve

Yes.... Do you like moonshine? :noidea: :shrug::shrug: Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof}

BC1
Jim

If you are going to make a boiler and you are going to make steam you might as well make shine.

No ossifer Imanot making booze I'm making power, see the little engine?

DaveH said:
No! this is wrong. Where is the moderator this thread should be stopped.
This is not how we should behave, there is no such thing as a stupid question.
We should have the time and passion to see beyond the question. Show them our passion for our hobby, passion can be infectious.
By this demeaning thread all we are doing is bringing our hobby into disrespect.

Please let’s not do this sort of thing.

Dave

Maybe it's just me but as I read it..................the above is a very clever piece of humour :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

If that is his attempt at humor...I hope he keeps his day job.

Dave, I think you were serious and I understand where you are coming from. I'll take it in the spirit it was given an try harder to bring the joy of working with my hands to others without being judgmental of their background. We all started somewhere, we all are ignorant of many things. It's good to be humble in the work. Thanks for the reminder!

Lighten up, Dave. It's a hobby forum, not psychology class.

Have you ever exhibited at one of these shows? If you haven't, perhaps you should. The humor will make much more sense after you've endured enjoyed the questions of the attendees.

People ask me dumb questions about the model engines I build. They ask me dumb questions about the hot rods I build and drive. To be fair, I have probably, over the years, asked any number of dumb questions myself when talking to people who have hobbies I know nothing about. I had a great "Question" the other day at the local hobby shop when I showed them a video of my Kerzel hit and miss engine running.---I was asked "Wow---Thats a powerfull sounding engine---Couldn't ya put that in a dragster----or something???" I just laughed and told them that no, "hit and miss" engines probably wouldn't do to well in a race car. ;D ;D ;D

Someone mentioned questions at the hardware store.
I remember going to the local Ace to get some wire for my CNC project.
I get asked "what is it for." I told the guy it was to power a pulse width modulator. His response was uh uh how many amps will it use.
Not sure if he believed me or not but I did speak the truth.
Tin

It can be hard to keep a straight face at times. A group of us display our engines together at local farm and engine shows. One of the guys in the group has a really nice Miser Stirling that is a great little runner, however, it usually sits on static display. At one show, I convinced him to run it on ice. We raided the cooler and soon had it sitting atop a platform of ice and running merrily .

The effort not to laugh out loud became a group thing when one of the visitors loudly explained to everyone standing there that the little engine was "making ice". At first we thought he was kidding, but it was soon obvious that he really believed it was indeed creating the ice. The rest of us valiantly kept our poker faces in place while the owner of the Stirling attempted to set the fellow straight. We were never quite sure he'd succeeded, after the guy walked away.

Steve

Back