What do I use these metals for?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SignalFailure

Reaction score
Someone gave me some 'cast steel' and some phosphor bronze - what can I use them for and what are they like to work?

(Wikipedia says cast steel can be used as a more durable replacement for CI).

Cheers

Paul

Phosphor bronze is used for the axle boxes and bushing in my loco build. Nice gift. if you don't want it send it my way. :)

Cast steel is "how long is a piece of string".

If its chilled or pre-tempered it can be a sod to machine.

If it machines like mild steel - treat it as such. If it machines like high tensile likewise.

If it burns cutters - junk it or have it annealed.

If its non-magnetic then it is probably stainless.

Phos-Bronze ideal for bearings, bushes etc.

Ken

Phoshor Bronze is not ideal for bearings as it needs the shafts to be hardened, leaded bronze is what you want for bearings.

Phos Bz will be OK for threaded boiler bushes, boiler fittings etc.

Jason

Bronze is generally nice to machine. Turning, Using HSS cutters they need to be kept sharp, for finishing you can get away with a larger radius sharp cutter and the finish will be outstanding.

When drilling Bronze you need to stone the drill edge flat, meaning remove the edge a bit. Do not step drill bronze, you will curse the moment you do, if its a 1" hole to drill, a 3/16 should be the only pilot hole needed.

No lube used when machining bronze. That give you a beginning idea.

Thanks all. I've machined a few pieces of regular bronze in the past but not this yellowy stuff. It's the ideal size for boiler bushes so maybe I'll keep it for that rather than waste the good bearing stuff or risk brass.

I broke a 5mm tap in the cast steel on the day I got it - never broke one over 2.5mm before so maybe it is chilled (it was sawn off a 6ft 'plank' of 6"x1")...i'll use it as a door stop :)

Latest posts

Back