What Are You Up To Today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have a crankcase for the Crusader all but finished. I lack tapping eight 6-32 threads for the cylinder and backplate, and decided to hold off until I can get my hands on some new taps. It's a start!!

Crisis over, pipes repaired and steak eaten ;D

Now I'm off to a car show today in Blackpool..... Hope he doesn't hit any more!!!

Wareagle, Have you any photo's of your work un the crusader?

Ralph.

W.E.,

Isn't it a PITA when you have to stop a job when you find you haven't got the bits to finish a part off. But I am sure the wait will be worth it.

Ralph,

A few years ago, I refurbished my 25 year old heating system, plus all my water lines around the house, and fitted cheap inline shut off valves in every line. Now, if say I want to take a radiator off to replace a leaky valve, turn a couple of valves off with a screwdriver, and minimal loss of water. Same would go for a burst pipe, isolate it from the system. A day spent putting them in can save a lot of grief.

John

Electrician friend and I got about 75% of the garage wired yesterday. ;D That 6/3 wire is damn heavy, esp. when trying to fasten it overhead.

Should finish the garage today and start on the upper level.

Divided He ad said:
Wareagle, Have you any photo's of your work un the crusader?

Funny you mention that... As I was machining the crank case, it occured to me that I should be taking build pictures. In the excitement of being able to finally work on my project for fun, I just turned handles and made chips. I'll get out there and take some pictures... Probably will start a thread in the A work in progress forum before long.

I spent the entire day again puling wire. Holding 10 gauge wire over head trying to get staples into joists to hold it up is tiring. I still have 3 circuits to run downstairs: 30a lift, 50a welder socket, and outdoor spots.

My friend got all of the boxes attached, wired the stairway and garage ceiling, and started getting the wire into the main panel. he also ran the wire to the upstairs bath.

My friend is back Wed. night to start the upstairs outlets and the kitchen.

steamer said:

*drool* ... *serious envy* ... and maybe a pout or two for good measure.

That's a beautiful machine! You have, indeed, a very fine project, Dave. That's far better than any Levin I've ever seen! :bow: :bow:

BEst regards,

Kludge ... who's now totally dissatisfied with his Derby, Peerless & Lorch lathes

Current project ...

Remember all those gears (aka: "wheels" in the watch repair/making world) in the pictures? I'm finally sorting them in order of size for the spoked ones, and size & type for the solid ones. I'm not bothering with pitch in a number of cases since I can deal with that later as needed, however where it's obvious I will be using that as a criteria as well. There is some commonality due to the finite number of ways the fixed relationships between hours, minutes & seconds can be achieved in a restricted space as well as to tie the mainspring to the wheel driving the second hand (which is also part of the power transmission and regulation) so it all works out nicely.

I have no clue when it'll be done. *sigh*

Best regards,

Kludge

Well the tail bearing went in the Dremel today, caused the armature to drop and it broke one of the posts off the brush ring.

Problem? how to repair the broken post? weld the broken bit back on or make a new post support and screw it to the brush ring ?

Sorted out thru the scrap box, found some square bar and flat strip and a quick furckle with the welder, bridgy and stand drill and we had a new post.

Only took me about two and a bit hours so not bad.

Pic of the finished brush ring below, it's a bit small so you might have to zoom in.

275Kwbrushring.jpg

Gottcha

It's actually off a 275 K w DC motor that drives a spinning frame. Seen those big reels of cable about 6 foot diameter on the back of trucks ? well this machines takes up to 9 of these in a big ferris wheel arrangement and spins the whole lot whilst also rotating the reels to wind large undersea cables for the wind farms.

Each post holds 10 brushes about 1.5" x 1" and 2" long.

Here's the frame.

275Kwhousing.jpg

Today I am back in the saddle, doing my real job--(the one that makes money_. Had a P.O. come through to design a large industrial centrifuge.

Brian Rupnow said:
Today I am back in the saddle

Good to hear Brian 8) ........ glad the order books are filling up again.

CC

I often return from the scrap yard with strange items
that are a sure source of all sorts of goodies, while stripping
(the items) all the nuts, bolts, screws, rollers etc go into a plastic container
then about once a month I spend a couple or three hours sorting
I find this strangely thereap therap well making. I'll do that
today while trying to work out where my Myford is going to live.
BR

I got in the door last Friday to a sad little boy and girl (twins age 6). It seems my son took apart my daughters binoculars, and broke them in the process......( Walmart binoculars, not Zeiss.....)

My wife did the right thing and gave my son's binoculars to my daughter.

My son, now heart broken, looked at me and said

" Papa!....I just wanted to know how they worked! :'(

"Mama says you can fix them!? :'("

??? :eek: says I to SHMBO ...without words of course.......

Well......Papa's rep is now on the line, and I haven't even seen the patient yet!

He brought the zip loc bag of parts( some missing) with puppy dog eyes...

Now I can't punish him for wanting to know why......I'll look at it tomorrow, I said ...I will try.........( against my better judgement....but the die was already cast)

The next morning I put the pieces together and came up with a plan. After much .....tooo much effort ( Walmart binoculars now not Zeiss) and a faceplate and a stint at the mill, I made the two repair parts, screwed them together with 1-72 and 5-40 screws and brought them for a test drive. Reputation in tact....and most importantly, my little inquisitive one was happy.... There even better than before Papa!......ah well...I guess it was worth it hey..
NO you won't find brass on Walmart binoculars.......Their Custom! 8)
Dave

P9170071.jpg

P9170070.jpg

Dave those are the stories that make it all worth while!

Many years ago I was living out of my home state and my parents came to
visit for Christmas. A kick scooter they had brought as a gift for one of my then
young boys was missing a nylon bushing. I had 3 broken hearts in the living room.

I slipped out to the garage for a smoke, hacked a bit of nylon off an old screwdriver
handle and made a bushing in less than 5 minutes.

That's when the skills pay off in ways that can not be replaced!

Congrats on your own save!

Rick

Dave, great tale! And a great save for you and the binoculars. Your little one will remember that for the rest of his life, and may in fact keep those binoculars! After all, dad did fix them!!

I certainly can relate to your plight! My boy can destroy a canon ball with a rubber mallet. He isn't destructive by nature, but he doesn't think things through... Such as playing with a plastic toy and then tossing it up in the air and trying to catch it, but coming up short as it slams into the ground in pieces. No telling how many things that were trash wound up on my bench for repairs!!

Funny thing about this is those puppy dog eyes when they want something fixed and how far they'll made one go to meet expectations. In my son's mind, I can fix anything and his heart is broken if I can pull it off. It sure tugs at you when the kids look up to you in that way and you can't deliver!

On some occasions, I sometimes sneak off and buy a replacement toy and let him think that I fixed it. Cheating... Maybe!!
teu01.gif

On some occasions, I sometimes sneak off and buy a replacement toy and let him think that I fixed it. Cheating... Maybe!! "

Trust me.......HE knows the differance...besides he usually wants to watch me fix it! ::) ;D

gauge board for the boat under way...with customized gauge dials

P9170069-1.jpg

Building a rotary phase converter for a friend. He just aquired a lathe and mill in some auction. He had pictures, and to me they looked pretty rough, but he's happy with what he found. The converter is all but wrapped up, and then it is back to the Crusader!

I'm already starting to think ahead to the next engine project, and I am thinking of building a 3 cylinder radial...

steamer said:

None other. I have an ambitious plan brewing, and it involves working myself up to building what currently is my dream project.

My plan of attack is to finish up the Crusader and get it running. Once that is done, I likely will then tackle the Little Loco's Little Pip 3 cylinder radial. When that one is finished and running, I am very seriously considering building the Ageless Engines 9 cylinder radial, which is my dream (read: very ambitious) build at this point.

I am not sure why, but I am drawn to those radial engines for some reason. I love the sound and looks of them, and it isn't a commonly seen power plant (unless your an aviation buff).

My buddy picked up his phase converter, and is thrilled with how it turned out. Personally, I give it a B+, but then I am my own worst critic. I imagine he'll get it installed this week and then give it a trial run this weekend. We have scheduled me to do a formal start up that following weekend to make sure everything is running properly and make any adjustments if needed.

Got to get a few things wrapped up tonight business wise, then it is hopefully in the shop several evenings this week to make some more parts for the Crusader.

Latest posts

Back