What Are You Up To Today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuck
Gotta hand it to you. when you go scrounging... you really go SCROUNGING...LOL. A find like that is like putting money in the bank. I tip my hat to ya. I got a lead, last night, on some possible machine tooling that I'll need to check out this week. Not sure what I'm onto, but it could be a decent find if it's as it's being described. More, when I know more.

Tim... somehow I figured it would be hot dogs...LOL. She looked pretty determined as she drove away. Put a screw in the darned thing and show em some balls...(grin)

Steve
Who figures any comments about the hair cut would just be so very wrong...LOL

had to weld up a rebar rammer. dropped it off at a family members fabrication shop saturday, to pick up today (I did the tacks at home, but my machine is not capable of the needed penetration)
wasn't welded when I got there, good thing because I got to watch a master at work :bow:
ended up walking out with a tan :big: I know not to walk into a shop with short shirt and pants I just wasn't expecting to stay.

next time I go to get a one on one lesson its going to be full out and proper.
that means no little slag ball in the shoe!

I read it over, its not as bad as I say it is :big:

exams are done tommorow!! next step University!

Speedy I could tell you a story about a quick quick little tack weld repair to the
tailgate hinge of my brother in laws work truck.

Me in shorts, running shoes and a tee shirt, but it was only going to take a second.
The metal was worse than it looked and the weld burned through.
20 minutes later we had it repaired properly.

I couldn't wear socks or long sleeves for 3 days!
At least I saved the time of putting on jeans and taking my welding jacket
off the hook just inside the garage door. ::)

Good Luck with the exams!

Rick

just got back from a service call in Kitchener and this is what i found at a flea market there. ;D
they wanted $1.00 for each piece.

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

96 solid carbide 4 flute end mills and 8 - 1/4" solid carbide reamers

the best part is (if you can believe it could get better) the lady couldn't be bothered counting all the pieces so she said just give me $20.00 of the whole lot!!!!! :eek: :eek:

so i should be all set of a long time ;D 8)

used all my luck this month.

chuck

Nice, is that the one with the old Russian irrc tank out in front? or was that Guelph??? more a surplus store now that i think about it - where's flea market in Kic.

Mike - you should have done a before and after shot - 17 years, wow.

Had my Goldwing delivered on Sunday. Went out on it the first time on Monday, hadn't ridden a bike for 20 years, so I scared everyone I came across, as I learned how to get back to the left hand side of the road.
Yesterday it all clicked, and I spent hours just cruising around the Cheshire countryside, reliving my youth.
Stopped for a smoke at the side of the road, and felt free again, after all the years cooped up in a car.

John

John,
If they don't appreciate the way that you ride, tell them to stay off the sidewalk!

Congrats on the re-found freedom!

Chuck,
That was quite some find! Wish I could fall into stuff like that.

John
Is your avatar a shot of the new tattoo?....(grin)

Steve

Bogstandard said:
Stopped for a smoke at the side of the road, and felt free again, after all the years cooped up in a car.

John

I know that feeling John... One of the many reasons I ride motorcycles.

Eric

John, good thing it rains there occasionally or you will never get off the bike and set up your shop!

Today was began with a road trip. I'd been threatening George Seal with a visit for quite sometime and today was the day it happened. After getting a wee bit lost in the Georgia countryside, George took pity on me and met me and lead me into his personal slice of heaven. The rolling hills of the rural areas outside of Atlanta are quite beautiful and George's home is a friendly and invitingly shaded nirvana. I can see why he also obviously loves the place.

The thing I like about southerners is their openness and unreserved friendliness and George fits this description in a most comfortable fashion. He met me with a humorous smile, that shared his humor at my unplanned detour and then we were off to his place. His is a shop that inspires a wee bit of envy. It's well equipped for both metal and wood working and it's chock full of ingenious storage ideas, from blade storage to several flip top roll around cabinets housing multiple tools. the only problem was the lack of swarf and clutter...LOL Yup... he in need a bit of badgering for holding out on us....LOL

Conversation was a wee bit difficult... George being so shy and all... (NOT!!!) but we managed to fill about 4 hours with interesting discussions ranging over a wide variety of subjects. Then he tried to empty his shop by loading my truck with a most generous collection of tools, catalogs and other usable stuff.

I mentioned that he needed a bit of badgering. He's got some pretty darned nice projects underway that he needs to share with us. But like I said... he's so darned shy...LOL

All in all, it was a most enjoyable day and one I hope to repeat in the future. It was one of those rare things where I met someone who felt like an old and comfortable friend, from the first handshake. Meeting and putting faces to others from the board has proven to be quite a rewarding experience. I highly recommend it .

Thanks again George....
Steve

What an absolutely rotten day, not for me, but for a HMEM's member who was coming to pick up the lathe and mill from me.

He must have started out real early this morning, then get to within about six or seven miles of my house, and broke down on the exit road from the motorway. Fuel pump packed up.

He has just sent me a pm saying he has just got home. The AA thru different relays had got him home. He must have been out at least 12 hours if not more, and didn't manage to achieve his goal.

I went out on a rescue mission but couldn't find him because of the position he had broken down in. But there would have been nothing I could do anyway, except to talk him to death.

So just as a little gesture to our fellow member, glad you made it home, and come back whenever possible.

John

That's rotten luck, if the fuel pump had lasted another 1/2 hour the AA would have also taken the machinery as well :( .......... though I doubt they'd have helped to unload it all ;)

Better luck next time my friend. I'm pleased John's equipment is going to a good home ........ look on the bright side, once you get it all home and set up you can make a far better quality fuel pump for your motor 8)

As for me (and my smallest son) ........ we've been working away for the last few days, which is something I don't really enjoy, ::) and fortunately we don't have to do much ....... but it's been for some friends and they have made us very welcome and looked after us well, but after 4 x 12 hour days flagging a patio, building fencing and fixing garden walls etc I think we've earned a day off ............ so back to workshop refurbishment and making a ball turning tool tomorrow ...... hopefully ???

CC

John and CC, machines ALWAYS break down at the worst possible times.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve, It's great to hear about your visit with George.
But, you got lost?

About a month ago I turned a 4-1/2 hour return trip from Washington D.C.
into a 6-1/2 hour drive by missing a turn and being too dumb to notice it until
I saw a sign that a city 60 miles west of home was 2 miles away.
rant.gif

The next day I bought a GPS navigator for the trips.
TomTom.jpg

With today's fuel prices the $265 I paid for the TomTom One XL S
will cover it's self by saving me from just two of those detours! :big:

Rick

Rick
George gave me something like that..... when I left... it was made of paper. ::)

Steve

Last night my wife asked if I could stop by her office on my way home
to take a look at their office printer. The automatic paper feed was jamming
every time.

I did install and set up that printer when they bought it, but what I actually
know about it's workings could be boldly engraved in script on my thumbnail.
But, it's just a machine, how tough can it be?

I stopped in and had the paper feed disassembled in a matter of seconds but
couldn't find anything wrong. Putting it back together was a totally different
story! :-\ That took a little more time...

Anyway, once it was back together it worked perfectly. ???

Her office is happy but I'll never know what I did to fix it! :D

Rick

Steve,

I got to talk to George on the phone. He sent me those gears for my Grizzly mini-mill. Wish I could meet him sometime, but it's a bit of a drive from New York at todays gas prices. :mad: His place sounds like a nice place to visit. It be great if a bunch of us could get together at the next Cabin Fever at Pa. next year. :)

Bernd

Latest posts

Back