weird cut

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Men!

I am needing to cut an unusual slot. I am making a whistle and need to cut 4 tubes with this profile to make the blow holes. I cant use an end mill because the corner is not a right angle. I was thinking about a band saw and file but I would like to keep some form of precision as I don't know if the sound will be affected buy the shape of the notch.

Any ideas on how to cut 4 of these exactly the same?

Untitled-4.jpg~original

This is one of those things where an old shaper works out well. You can do it with a dove tail cutter then trim back the little jib with a file or saw.

You could make up a quick cutter, a bit of HSS parting blade soldered to a mild steel shank, then grind the end at 15deg. I have a few cutters that I made this way, some just have radius corners, others have intricate profiles.

Paul.

Hi Steve

You did not say what the material was. Or how thick the wall is.

With a surface grinder it would be a very simple matter of dressing the wheel at 15 degrees. Without one you can still do it in the mill with a mounted stone dressed to the proper angle. For a small job like that, I do not think material is a big issue.It would even work well on Brass or alum.

I say grind it.

Scott

Hi Steve

You did not say what the material was. Or how thick the wall is.

With a surface grinder it would be a very simple matter of dressing the wheel at 15 degrees. Without one you can still do it in the mill with a mounted stone dressed to the proper angle. For a small job like that, I do not think material is a big issue.It would even work well on Brass or alum.

I say grind it.

Scott

I should have mentioned it is aluminum tube. Don't know what wall thickness yet as the mail man still has it.

if you have acsess to a tooling grinder you could modify a endmill or like scott said you could use a grinder with a 15 degree angle on the face of the wheel.

How accurate does it have to be? If it's pretty forgiving you can make it many ways. If you want precision you will need a form cutter or use a grinder. I recommend a grinder, you will be greatly pleased with precision and surface finish.

If you can't come to a conclusion you're happy with, PM me - I'll grind you some. It looks pretty simple. I could set them up and grind the feature in stock and send it to you for finishing to length and width.

How accurate does it have to be? If it's pretty forgiving you can make it many ways. If you want precision you will need a form cutter or use a grinder.

By precision I meant better than a band saw and file. I'm just looking to make all 4 as close to the same as I can.

I am considering making a cutter and tilting the head on the mill 15 degrees.

Untitled-5.jpg~original

The only problem with a cutter is not distorting the thin wall tube. Grinding would be more forgiving and have less cutting force.

Scott

Steve----
:idea: how about using a fly cutter you could grind your
cutting tool to specs. and securing the 4 pieces side by side
they would be identical after only one x pass on the mill

my 2 cents

Luc

Great idea Luc, i didn't think about a flycutter. So rarely use a manual mill any more.

With a flycutter you'd only have one tool to grind and would get a surface finish that is pleasing.

Great idea Luc, i didn't think about a flycutter. So rarely use a manual mill any more.

I use flycutter on my CNC mill to clean large area

maybe I'm lazy :fan:

Several years ago the New England Model Engineering Society ran a demo at Cabin Fever where we used a lathe and mill and made a neat brass whistle with a slider. We handed them out to kids and drove everyone at the show nuts with them.

One of our guys made a fine cutter to make that cut- like a dovetail cutter but upside down. Ive still got the cutter, Ill loan it you want it, send me email.

Since you are cutting aluminum, you could use a dovetail router bit. They are available in different angles, including 14 degrees. Do a search on "dovetail router bit 14 degree." If you are worried about distortion, just take small cuts instead of cutting it in one pass.

Steve----
:idea: how about using a fly cutter you could grind your
cutting tool to specs. and securing the 4 pieces side by side
they would be identical after only one x pass on the mill

my 2 cents

Luc

I don't have a flycutter but I could get one. I was thinking of making a cutter so I could set the head of the mill to angle and setup the tube horizontal in the vise. Setting the tube to 15 degrees seems like a accident waiting to happen.

Since you are cutting aluminum, you could use a dovetail router bit. They are available in different angles, including 14 degrees. Do a search on "dovetail router bit 14 degree." If you are worried about distortion, just take small cuts instead of cutting it in one pass.

I'll check into it, thanks

Several years ago the New England Model Engineering Society ran a demo at Cabin Fever where we used a lathe and mill and made a neat brass whistle with a slider. We handed them out to kids and drove everyone at the show nuts with them.

One of our guys made a fine cutter to make that cut- like a dovetail cutter but upside down. Ive still got the cutter, Ill loan it you want it, send me email.

Thanks Ron!

If i'm still stuck maybe I can pick it up from you at Zanesville if you are going.

Latest posts

Back