weird cut

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a friend in the industry with access to a wire EDM you could have these cut that way.

Form cutters are a good idea, you might even find something with a 15° bevel in a catalog someplace. I say that due to 15° being half of 30°. A dovetail cutter with a 30° angle might get you close enough to allow finishing up with other tooling.

Another option is to use saws to cut out the bulk of the material.

Mount your work at 15 degrees and feed the mill into it. Use your file to dress the cut afterwards.

Well they are done! As suggested by someone else where the tubing was put in a 4 jaw chuck and offset from center as far as I could safely get. Then the compound was set at 15 degrees and a regular old right hand tool was fed into the part in a single pass creating the profile i was trying to get. It was easy and 4 of them were done in less than half an hour.

I want to thank everybody for their help and ideas. It is much appreciated.

Steve

Do you have any photos Swifty?

Jim

Here are a couple of pics of cutters that I have made. In this case the profiles were wirecut in, I know that this is beyond the home machinist, but the profiles could be ground in as well. The smaller shank is 16mm dia, the larger 19mm. In the larger shank pic you can see where a groove was machined in and the HSS soldered in place.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, I now have another technique to add to the quiver.

Jim

Well here it is. I shined it up a little and am now collecting the parts needed to get some air into it. I can blow into it and get a half second toot that stops a room.

Thanks again!!

DSCN0954s.jpg~original

[Well here it is. I shined it up a little

DAMM what would they look like
if you would have shine them ALOT:fan:

/QUOTE]
whats the final thing going to be use for??

I've made quite a few steam whistles in the past

I was thinking about building a miniature caliope (like Mississippi stern-wheeler) project abandoned part way through but this has inspired me a bit might resurrect it.

During testing a 3 note chime like an American loco,with 20 Lbs "on the clock", aroused much interest with my neighbors, not p****d off, just wondering why the Church doesn't use 'em instead of bells.

I was testing 'em on a Sunday morning, and they were loud, VERY LOUD. (118DbA by later measurement, full spectrum B@K SPL meter at 5 Meters).

I will post some pics if anyone is interested .

Regards Mark

Last edited:
Here you go Steve

These are the bottom few from D to F# and my first copper one I made as a test (14mm heating pipe), It works but it's not as nice sounding as the brass ones, K&S tubing you can get it from model aircraft shops and the like.

DSCF0003 (2).jpg

And just some of the valve components, I could cut 1/4 x32 ME threads on autopilot by the time I'd finished this lot!

DSCF0007 (2).jpg

And an idea of how the whole contraption should look If I ever get round to completing it. Talk about biting off more that I can chew ! Not a model engine exactly but just as much work 30 odd miniature ball valves is pretty time consuming by hand (and Myford)

Untitled.jpg

Pics are a little iffy sorry about that main camera is on loan at the moment so I did 'em with a little pocket one

Regards Mark

Last edited:
Back