Viton O Ring for Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm currently building a Bolton No 7 horizontal steam engine.
The plan calls for graphite yarn packing but I'd like to replace that with a Viton- O-Ring which, according to several posts, is quite satisfactory for a steam engine.
So, my questions are:
1. I'm presuming I require a Viton-O-Ring with and OD of 1.5 inches?
2. I presume that I need this O-Ring should have a CS of approximately 1/8th inch.
3. Assuming that this O-Ring has a CS of 1/8th Inch, I presume the groove width would ever so slightly wider and ever so slightly sallower.
Am I on the right track here.
Thanks guys.
Pete

Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 6.11.42 pm.png

Don't make the piston o-ring grooves until you have the o-ring "in your hands". The diameter they list is a "nominal" value. I use 1/16" Viton O-rings on my model i.c. engines, and in reality they are 0.070" diameter. I machine my piston ring grooves 0.058" deep, which means that the ring "crushes" about .012" radially, and I make the slot for that 1/16" o-ring .094" wide, and it works fine.---Brian

I agree with Brian. It is very important the the width of the groove is much wider than the cross section diameter of the ring. This gives the rubber a place to flow when the ring is compressed. It also allows the ring to "roll" when the piston movement reverses and this reduces the stiction effect as well as trapping some additional lube under the ring .For an 1/8 cross section ring a minium would be 5/32 wide groove and I would go wider than that up to 3/16 wide.
Gail in NM

The size of a numbered oring is not a "real" size. It's actually the depth of the oring groove for approximately 10% compression:

A 000 series oring has a width of .070" and a groove depth of .060"
A 100 series oring has a width of .103" and a groove depth of .094"
A 200 series oring has a width of .139" and a groove depth of .125"
A 300 series oring has a width of .203" and groove depth of .188"
I forget the width of the 400 series oringm but it has a groove depth of .250"

...Ved.

Latest posts

Back