vernier calipers scare me

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep those old world crafts alive!

I got 2.762 as far as my eyes could shade the lines... too bad numbers on the real thing aren't that big!

I mostly use a dial caliper for everything (cause I only have a 0-1" mic) and snap gauges with the caliper or the mic for inside stuff. My projects don't generally need any more accuracy than that... (probably been said by others but I didn't read every post).

Last edited:
Just set the record straight, I know that micrometers are more accurate than a caliper. I have known this since I was 12. Why people keep telling me this is a mystery.

Just set the record straight, I know that micrometers are more accurate than a caliper. I have known this since I was 12. Why people keep telling me this is a mystery.

Who knows. Calipers are good enough for the vast majority of work done by engine builders. Especially if you are modeling something built more than a century ago.

I happen to work in the optics industry, micrometers in this industry often just get you close. Everything is relative.

I got my haul today.
I'm pretty impressed with the micrometer set. They have vernier scales so I they're accurate to .0001" I like that. Had to calibrate them with the standards but they're ready to go now. The box is just about as cheap as they could make it but it's China so I didn't expect better.
The dial caliper is nice. It's not an etalon with the .0005 marks but that's alright.
The telescopic bore gages are a little rough. When I snug them to take the reading they seem to loosen up before they should. The pressure from the screw isn't constant. I'll use them but will probably get the set made by Starrett.
I really like the vernier caliper and it will make a good back-up.
And I now have more adjustment spanners than I know what do to with LOL

OK you guys say I need to be more accurate? How's this?

ForumRunner_20131203_161306.jpg

Mounted on this base?

ForumRunner_20131203_161320.jpg
It can be used in conjunction with a gage amplifier to read down to a ten-millionth of an inch. I checked eBay and it's a modest $750. For the accuracy I would say thats pretty reasonable.

I thought it would be cool to get a vernier caliper, fewer parts than a dial caliper, figured with care it would last forever.
bought a starrett 6" then when I tried to use it came the problem,
I'm over 50, need a magnifing glass to read it. didn't figure on that.
I have a starrett 6 dial caliper I've had for 25 yrs, love the tool.
you can definitly feel the difference between a quality tool and a chinese
or cheap tool. as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.
If you use something a lot, or plan on having it for many years, spend more,
otherwise the cheap stuff normally works ok.
just my .02 cents.
(some misspelling, couldn't find a spell check here)

This is why you see a lot of older machinist running around with those clip on magnifiers on the side of their glasses. Either that or magnifiers in their shirt pocket.

Personally I'd rather just go digital myself when I can afford too.

I thought it would be cool to get a vernier caliper, fewer parts than a dial caliper, figured with care it would last forever. bought a starrett 6" then when I tried to use it came the problem, I'm over 50, need a magnifing glass to read it. didn't figure on that. I have a starrett 6 dial caliper I've had for 25 yrs, love the tool. you can definitly feel the difference between a quality tool and a chinese or cheap tool. as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. If you use something a lot, or plan on having it for many years, spend more, otherwise the cheap stuff normally works ok. just my .02 cents. (some misspelling, couldn't find a spell check here)

Funny you should mention optivisors. I'm working on a steampunk style optivisor with flip down lenses for additional magnification.

This is why you see a lot of older machinist running around with those clip on magnifiers on the side of their glasses. Either that or magnifiers in their shirt pocket.

Personally I'd rather just go digital myself when I can afford too.

I disagree. You see older machinists running around with clip on magnifiers because it seems like its a convenient place to keep one. If I wore glasses, I'd be rockin' one of those clip on's, also! Unfortunately I have perfect eyesight and have to keep a magnifying glass on my layout bench and one on my machine bench. When it rains it poors, I suppose lol :fan:
-Brandon

I disagree. You see older machinists running around with clip on magnifiers because it seems like its a convenient place to keep one. If I wore glasses, I'd be rockin' one of those clip on's, also! Unfortunately I have perfect eyesight and have to keep a magnifying glass on my layout bench and one on my machine bench. When it rains it poors, I suppose lol :fan:
-Brandon

You unfortunately have perfect eye sight? You would actually trade your ability to see perfectly without having to wear $500 devices clamped on your face for the convenience of having a magnifying glass handy? Really?

I'm thinking of these sorts of clip ons: http://www.casker.com/eyeloupes-magnifiers.html. There are actually more than a few designs out there. Sadly I think I need to get something soon.
Very cool.
Or you could go the more expensive route and get loupes mounted permanently to the lenses to make a stereo magnifier. Surgeons wear them when they're doing tight work. Someone brought a pair into the camera shop I worked at. I think they were made by B&L as well.
At some point I'm supposed to be getting my new glasses when the VA gets around to it. I might get a set of those clipons. They also make you look like you mean business too. :)

They also make clip on flashlights and Oakley makes a clip on Bluetooth and a clip on mp3 player.
I was thinking about using a pair of Oakley X frames as my safety glasses. They would last forever.

Over the years I've owned all types of calipers and mics I'm still using my 40 year old Craftsman 6" vernier though it's harder to read I mounted a magnifier light on the end of the bench this serves two jobs, one to read very small print on tool and the second for sliver removal. My latest is a Harbor Freight $10 digital caliper that works just fine and depending on how tight the tolerance is I finish with them, but these are kept on the top of the lathe or my work cart so that they are never in the chips. I find that a work cart works best to keep the job organized and tools from getting damaged you can then move the job from machine to machine which is also convenient(this is hope we worked in the plant and it worked out well for me). Be sure to wipe the tools down with a light oil or something to prevent rust when done with them and they will out last you or I, so of my tools were my Grandfathers and they still work like new including the 4",6",8", and 12" Mitutoyo.

Todd
https://www.google.com/search?clien...IsTn2wXow4D4Cw&ved=0CCwQBSgA&biw=1680&bih=931

Reactions: gus
:rolleyes:Calibration.
Did Trade School in 1961. Asked following question well ahead of time and was told to shut up.:hDe:
"How are we to ensure micrometers we used are accurate as they are supposed to be?"
Was cheeky enough to show machine shop instructor two Outside Micrometers. Both were not zeroed in and hence not accurate. Instructor was red-faced and poor Gus was the bad guy.:hDe:
In the 80s came ISO and periodic calibration and certification of measuring instruments.In 1997
all our plant instruments were calibrated twice yearly.;)

Good friend of mine gave me brand new Poland 0---50mm Outside Mike.Poor mike not zeroed in.
We are fortunate that digital calipers and mikes have "zero button".
But years down the line the anvils will wear and accuracy compromised. When this happen,will just buy replacement.
Bought a M.I.China . "Kernn Germany" Digital Caliper for S$18 from local shop.So far so good and battery not eaten up and no blinking fairy lighting on the digital display.
LESSON
German or Japan Branded device when too cheap is M.I.China.

IMG_2539.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back