Upshur Twin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankshafter

Reaction score
Hello all.
Well I have to move the Upshur twin project over here where it belongs ," Work in Progress".
Finished coolingfins for the 2'nd cyl. and and have them shrink-fit on the cyl. And pre-lapped both cylinders ;D just have to finish them with toothpast to get the bores real shiny. Think I will use Viton o-rings on the pistons like I did on my Webster.Have had the Webster running for some hours now, and it is a easy "starter" :big:
Ok here are some pix. from to night's progress.
Bilde210.jpg

Lapping.
Bilde212.jpg

Bilde215.jpg

fitting coolingfins on cyl.
Bilde211.jpg

And here both cyl.test fit on the crankcase.
Bilde218.jpg

More to come
Regards CS.

Very nice crankshafter, looks like you are coming along very nicely. I need to do a search for your webster build because I have on that is in progress. I put it aside to complete my Siamese twin. Once I am released from my nuerosugeon to get on with my life I will be back in the shop to finish it.

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

CS,

Very nice work :bow:

Tell me how do you keep your hands clean ??? Mine always seem to look like a coal miners who forgot his gloves ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
CS,

Very nice work :bow:

Tell me how do you keep your hands clean ??? Mine always seem to look like a coal miners who forgot his gloves ::)

Best Regards
Bob
Bob.
How I keep my hands clean? I clean them now and then :big:
Seriously, I have used and German brand hand cleaner for years(Drumex Special)and I recommend it for all of you shop-rats. ;D
managed to make pistons and cross pins tonight. To morrow I start on the cyl.heads think it will be a real challenge. BTW isn't it the challenges that make life worth living.
Regards CS.

Hi all, need help. ;D
Can any of you tell me where to get spark plugs for my Upshur. There is nothing mentioned in the plans. Cyl.head is threaded 1/4" UNF.

Regards CS

CS,

So you clean em - I knew I was missing something
headscratch.gif

Thanks for the name of that handclean, I'll try and locate some in Oz.

Best Regards
Bob :)

CS
The set of plans I have for the Upshur Twin do include plans for spark plugs - see page 19 (page 19 of the set I have is dated 5-1-98; although the majority of the drawings are dated 2-10-01).
Regards
Garry

Rimfire sparkplugs are popular in the USA.

Three of the distributors are:
http://sparkplugs.morrisonandmarvin.com/
http://www.jerry-howell.com/RF-Plugs.html
http://www.mjnfabrication.com/pages/948295/index.htm

There are more distributors also.
I know that Morrison,first one listed, does or at least did export. Their webpage is nice as it gives all the dimension of the entire line or Rimfire. The 1/4-32 thread plugs come in several different reaches so you have to select the reach needed by examining the plans for the Upshire engine.

I think there may be some European distributors also. If you email Paul Knapp at:
[email protected]
he will help you locate a dealer that can supply them to you.

Gail in NM,USA

Hi all.
Some progress this evening to. Drilled and countersunk cyl.heads, most time spent on making the flat bottom drill. Made it from a piece of drillrod, and a piece of a drill-tang as guidepin. Works great ;D
Like some pic.?? OK here we go.
CIMG0080.jpg

CIMG0073.jpg

CIMG0086.jpg

And finaly a pic. of the Upshure in front of the Webster.
CIMG0048.jpg

Tomorrow it's time for cutting the coolingfins.allready made a cutter for it ;D

CS,

Great work.
xyzthumbs.gif

Were the flat bottomed holes a special size ??? or you don't like messing up your standard drills to turn them into flat bottom drills - Just Curious and trying to learn a new twist
mgscratchchin.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
CS,

Great work.
xyzthumbs.gif

Were the flat bottomed holes a special size ??? or you don't like messing up your standard drills to turn them into flat bottom drills - Just Curious and trying to learn a new twist
mgscratchchin.gif

Best Regards
Bob
Hi Bob
The flat bottom holes is 5.5 mm. I like making my own flat bottom-drills, its easy.
,take piece of drillrod(if used in alu. I do not bother hardening), turn to outer dia. drill hole for pilot. hack saw a + at the end, some filing and diamond-honing and you have 4 cutting-edges a drop of Loctite on the pilot, put it in the pilot-bore, and if you are in the hurry heat with a Creme Brule-burner to speed up curing the Locktite. If some of you like a pic. I have one tomorrow ;D
PS: Yes I build the Upshur using mm-fasternes in SS, mostly 3mm(.125"), hard to find small inch fasteners here in snowy Norway :big:Ski-season has started,jr.and his buddy is going up in the mountains next weekend for off-pist skiing :eek: wish I could join them ::) have to wait until Christmas. OT? OK :big:
Regards CS

CS,

Thanks for that, now I understand. ;D

I would call such a tool a counter bore as opposed to a flat bottomed drill. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Hi all.
Did some progress on the cyl.heads this weekend ;) Get the heads drilled for the inlet/exh.-ports,the bore for the sparkplug, but I didn't have the 1/4"32 tap but I will have one tomorrow 8) I did the cooling-fins as well, with my shopmade .093" mill-cutter.
Like some pic.? OK here we go.
Bilde037.jpg

Bilde044.jpg

Bilde049.jpg

Bilde043.jpg

Bilde046.jpg

Time to have some
.gif

CS

CS thats bloody awsome !!!

i especially like your home made "T" cutter
xyxthumbs.gif
what did you make that from ???

i have just bought 5 from the USA but would love to make my own

well done !!

cheers

jack

jack404 said:
CS thats bloody awsome !!!

i especially like your home made "T" cutter
xyxthumbs.gif
what did you make that from ???

i have just bought 5 from the USA but would love to make my own

well done !!

cheers

jack
I made it out of a pice of drillrod. Turn it to dia. hack saw, angelgrinder, file, and diamond hone :big:. No hardening when used on aluminium.
CS.

Thanks for that CS
anim_19.gif

i use mine on 4130, 4140 carbon steel generally so i'll stick with the bought ones for now

but i will experiment now i've seen it done, i've become pretty good at hardening drill rod for reamers of all types

cheers and great going!!

jack

jack404 said:
Thanks for that CS
anim_19.gif

i use mine on 4130, 4140 carbon steel generally so i'll stick with the bought ones for now

but i will experiment now i've seen it done, i've become pretty good at hardening drill rod for reamers of all types

cheers and great going!!

jack
Jack.
Regarding making your own mill-cutters have a look on how Mr. Ishimura do it.
http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/t_slot_cutter/t_slot_cutter-e.htm
CS

Hi all.
Did some more on the Upshur to night. Soldered the cylinders to the sideplates.
Assambled cylinders with the crankcase ,mainshaft, rods and pistons. Some small adjustments and voila, it turns freely with no bindigs. ;D Lucky me :big:
I know you like pic. So here we go.

Bilde053.jpg

Bilde055.jpg

Bilde061.jpg

To morrow it's time for drilling the cyl. for the cyl.head bolts and then the valves and guides,
rockerarms.
CS.

Latest posts

Back