Two IC newbies Build Websters

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well since you cant wait....heres a pick of the cast iron fly wheels as pulled from the mold.
My wife is going to be mad at me again...I stunk up the house :rolleyes:
Video late tonight....

Bill Need you to PM me your address so I can mail out your goodies!!

castflywheels.jpg

Looking good bud... Ill send you my address.. Thanks a million to you and Brian both..Bill

machined up the flywheel....Man it looks just right on the engine, good choice Bill.

websterwithfly 004.jpg

IMAG0333.jpg

Nice casting!
It polished up really nice. What did you use for raw material?
See you tomorrow at Cabin Fever.
cheepo45

The raw material was an old sump pump casting and some cast iron bracket. I test the scrap by drilling it then rubbing the chips between my fingers to determine how much graphite is in it...Yea real high tech huh?

That looks great man...I cant wait to see in person...Bill

Sensational work aone, thanks for posting the video;)
Terry

Thanks Terry!! Boy my ego is going into overload LOL

Bill Your fly wheel made it to the cabin fever expo....where were you? Ill mail your goodies out on monday....had to show them off a bit....

I would have loved to been there!! My truck just would have been so hard on fuel it was out of the question this year, maybe next year.. My wife wouldn't let me get her car out of the garage just yet, she still worried about another snow and getting salt all over it.. At least she wants to take care of it I guess..Bill

Bill, I hope you can make it next year, it was quite a show. Now I have to ask myself, do I call out sick tomorrow? After all its the last day of the show.....

Bill, fly wheel and gears are mailed out and heading your way.

Aone, thanks for the video, that was awesome!
The flywheel machined up nice too.
Now you got me curious on how to do that at home and where to get the equipment. And learn how to cast metal.
I'm off to the casting metals forum and Google to see what I can find out.
You wouldn't want a apprentice for a few weeks would ya :D
Gerry

Gerry its not all that hard to do and the materials can be purchased from local foundry suppliers or from the net. You useually make your own furnace and tools. If you get on alloyavenue.com you can learn all you need. On that forum Im DavidF stop on by...

thanks Aone.. ill be watching for the goodies when i get home... Bill

I managed to get some time in the shop today. Turned the crank from a block of 4130. I still have a but more to do to it to finish it up but its basically done. Having a nice cold beer now and sitting here spinning the fly wheel, Man it feels nice and smooth and no play.
Bill did you get your parts yet?

webstercrank 001.jpg

Nice Work!
I haven't even unpacked my motors from Cabin Fever!
cheepo45

Got a little more done today, fitted the gear to the flywheel and the pin for the cam gear done. Now i need to get started on the cam lobe. Not sure how to tackle that one just yet. Open to suggestions. In the mean time ill make the points lobe, oil and grease cups, and spacers.
I love sitting here spinniing the crank, I could do it for hours, then again im easily amused.

gearsinstalled.jpg

Back