Two IC newbies Build Websters

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I machined my cylinder out of hot rolled steel, o my god I cant get a good finnish. at the bottom of the cylinder I have noticable grooves by feel. I hope it works out if not I will machine another only after I see if it runs.

let me know if you find a source for the gears? that and the springs I am dreading.

good progress, you all overtook me :D

Today at 11:45 swarf levels reached critical mass. I had to take some time and clean up the swarf in the chip pan was up to the carriage. I managed to get the cylinder parted off, drilled, and started the Booring process.
So far the finish is better than I was expecting. I'm only taking .010" doc at a time and it is making some light chatter noise but no visible chatter marks in the bore. I feel good about it so far.
Brian, that would be great if you could. If not ill have to go shopping for some cutters.

Speedy, winding springs isn't that bad, you should give it a try.
I'll post pictures late tonight, ran out of time today...

Today at 11:45 swarf levels reached critical mass. I had to take some time and clean up the swarf in the chip pan was up to the carriage. I managed to get the cylinder parted off, drilled, and started the Booring process.
So far the finish is better than I was expecting. I'm only taking .010" doc at a time and it is making some light chatter noise but no visible chatter marks in the bore. I feel good about it so far.
Brian, that would be great if you could. If not ill have to go shopping for some cutters.

Speedy, winding springs isn't that bad, you should give it a try.
I'll post pictures late tonight, ran out of time today...

If you go to an autopart store get a belt that is use to remove vibration
from front brake rotors. It does miracle for 10.00:rolleyes:

Canadianhp I know of the belt used to stop chatter on turning disc braked rotors , would you wrap it around the part many times to take up the slack? The one I used was adjustable down to a small size but then it would be flopping around !! That's a good idea. Thanks Bill.

Luc, not sure if it would work in my case. I can put my finger on yhe boring bar and it stops the noise. It's a small boring bar with 3" of stickout cutting hot rolled steel. The finish is good so im not worried about it.
I see where you were planning on building a 2013 edition webster. Have you started on it yet? This seems to be the year for Webster builds.

Aonemarine---I just checked the Berg catalogue, and the pitch diameters of the 32DP gears called for in the Webster plans are 24 tooth .75" pitch dia. and 48 tooth 1.5" pitch diameter. My cutters are 24 DP, but I can make you a set of 18 tooth and 36 tooth gears which will have the same ratio and pitch diameters and consequently the same center to center distance. I can keep the face width the same (3/16") and the same hub o.d. and length. Small gear will be made from brass, large gear made from aluminum. Bores will be made to suit the webster shafts.

Luc, not sure if it would work in my case. I can put my finger on yhe boring bar and it stops the noise. It's a small boring bar with 3" of stickout cutting hot rolled steel. The finish is good so im not worried about it.
I see where you were planning on building a 2013 edition webster. Have you started on it yet? This seems to be the year for Webster builds.

#1 as for putting your finger on the part and cutting vibration that works also
this might funny but results are amazing
take a small role of crad board
toilet paper size
#1 layer silk or leather cheep stuff
#2 polyuritane( what they use to stick your windsheild to your car) 1/2 inch of it in the tube
#3 stick a 3/32 bigger or smaller to fit your need
and let it stay for 3 to 4 days
after simply apply a small pressure to your parts and all your
noise will go
I see where you were planning on building a 2013 edition webster. Have you started on it yet?
all the plans are uyp to date
I still have a few Robots to finish and PLC before this semester is over
beside going with my wife cancer threatment it's a hand full

Aonemarine---I just checked the Berg catalogue, and the pitch diameters of the 32DP gears called for in the Webster plans are 24 tooth .75" pitch dia. and 48 tooth 1.5" pitch diameter. My cutters are 24 DP, but I can make you a set of 18 tooth and 36 tooth gears which will have the same ratio and pitch diameters and consequently the same center to center distance. I can keep the face width the same (3/16") and the same hub o.d. and length. Small gear will be made from brass, large gear made from aluminum. Bores will be made to suit the webster shafts.

Hey Brian can i talk you out of 2 sets of gears ? I would gladly pay you for them.. Bill

Brian if your up three, :) I have paypal.
I will keep looking for sources

aonemarine, I think I will have to try making the springs. I am using my neighbors lathe as mine doesnt auto feed. last I remember his isnt working properly so will see what happens.

if anyones making springs and they dont mind making an extra let me know :)

Last edited:
Michael, I dont mind making you the springs. I made mine but they are not Perfect.. Like it calls for 7 turns of the .013 wire and it was good till i heated them but now mine are 7 1/2 turns in .625 inch.. If you want to wait till later on if i can get mine to work or remake them ill send you a set.. Bill

Hi Bill that sounds like a plan.
I still have plenty to work on so its not a rush.
I appreciate it :)

Speedy, if you still need a set when I get that far ill make you some.
A couple of pictures of todays progress....

Not uploading for some reason.....

webster 5 001.jpg

webster 5 002.jpg

[Canadianhp I know of the belt used to stop chatter on turning disc braked rotors , would you wrap it around the part many times to take up the slack? /QUOTE]
yes exactly if you dont have one of those or if it's your tool that chatters another method that
works fine simply get a bag of rubber band from the hobby shop and wind them around your parts and tool
I do it all the time on brass cheers

Aonemarine--Here are your gears. I just have to shave away a bit of material before I send them to you.---Jixerbill---Just read your post. Once I'm set up, its just as easy to cut two of each gear. I'll do yours too.-Brian
WEBSTERGEARS001_zps8b456971.jpg

Last edited:
Your the man Brian.. Thanks plenty for doing this. Looks good...14 degrees here this morning but headed to 50 they say.. Im going to give it a little bit then head to shop.. Bill

Thanks Brian, Im heading to the shop in a couple of minutes...once I warm up, been standing out in the cold for safety training at work.
Going to try and video some turning on the lathe, why not LOL

And here we have it---All the gear blanks ready for gear tooth cutting. I hope you guys haven't finished your valve cams yet. The hub on one of the large gears is .375" diameter dead nuts. The hub on the other large gear ended up at at 0.360" diameter.:eek::eek:---Not certain how that happened. I'm off to the machine shop now to set up my rotary table.
WEBSTERGEARBLANKSLARGEANDSMALL001_zpsde72da67.jpg

Latest posts

Back