Two IC newbies Build Websters

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope I can source the springs, not something I am prepared to make :(

your making great progress.

Bill is moving right along, I had to do that work thing so not much shop time today. Nice work on the springs, valve guide and valve.
Ugg I need to get some more shop time!!

whats that shiney candy apple red thing in the back ground?? Camaro??

Sopport the far end of your mandrel in the tailstock chuck. Don't tighten the chuck, just close it enough to provide a loose guide for the end of the mandrel.--And keep good tension on the far end of that music wire with the vice-grips while winding. Post #80 or thereabouts on my Kerzel build shows the method for heat treating/stabilizing the spring after it is wound.You're doing great work.---Brian

Last edited:
Thanks Brian, I did as you sugested and made a few more with diffrent mandrels.. They are baking as i type this lol... Got just a little done today, I was busy cleaning my new 4 jaw chuck up.. Then i stared at it for a couple hours (I have never used one lol).. I Finished both valves and guides and lapped them in.. Then made the crank bearings and locktite them in the frames. The hole in them has to be bored out more but i wanted to save a little meat for line boring them. Oh and i used my 1/8 inch roundover bit from my woodworking tools on the edges of the base, I made very small cuts till it was at full depth.. Probably not the real machinest way but it turned out nice i think.. Bill

SAM_0047.JPG

SAM_0048.JPG

Im just slowly plugging along... I dont know what else I can say, except I thought id be further along by now, just keep getting tied up on other projects around the house.. Oh well maybe this coming week I can make some real progress...

basewcylhead 002.jpg

I think they are coming along well. I know about limited shop time-it took me 5 months to build my opposed engine! Work gets in the way of all the fun stuff!
cheepo45

Well ive hit that point in time where I feel like I have actually accomplished something. Got lucky today and managed to source the tap (10mm x 1.0) at the local hardware store, and the plug at the local auto store. Managed a couple more hours over the past few days, and things are starting to come together nicely. On a seperate not my brain seems to be getting back into gear and working properly...guess the old saying is true, use it or loose it!!

plug in 001.jpg

plug in 002.jpg

Worked on some scrap to get familiar with the new 4-jaw chuck... I like it, but then again my 3-jaw had almost .008 runout. The little extra time to set up a piece is worth the accuracy gain ! First work for the new chuck was making 2 cylinders ???? I had the first one machined down to the right diameter then happened to notice on plans it was suspossed to be 2.5 inches long, not 2.250 that i had cut it to!! But that will teach me to double, tripple check plans ! Anywho the cast was generaly ok to work with (my first time with it) but when using parting tool to make fins it chattered like crazy... I slowed down the lathe, sped it up, moved the tool up, then down ?? I have to find a small set of files now to remove the chatter markes...There is a way to do it without chatter, but its beyond my knowledge...

SAM_0052.JPG

SAM_0050.JPG

To remove chatter.---Its a bit too late now, but the NEXT time---When you have reached the full depth of cut, just leave the tool engaged and let it run for a minute without advancing or backing the tool away. That gets rid of chatter marks most of the time for me.

Little more work today.. Got cyl mounted to frame, made a piston and some rings. And in the pic is the tool I made for sanding the rings to thickness..

SAM_0059.JPG

Hey there, you guys are going great guns and if you keep up the momentum, you could be starting up in a week or so.
Good on ya.
Cheers
Graham

I like the tool for sanding rings to thickness. Very flash.

Jim

I like the tool for sanding rings to thickness. Very flash.

Jim

Not my invention Jim, but it worked great..I got afew odds and ends done today but forgot to bring my camera home.. I also called SDP to order the gears and they are sold out of the 48 tooth gear. said it will be 8 to 10 weeks before they get them in.. I checked on WM Berg website with the part number but it says it dont exist ??? Oh well ill keep pluggin away and maybe someone on here will have a back-up plan.. Bill

I managed to get my crank bushings done today, not100% happy with the .313 bore on them so I might give them to the gods and make another set. I had plans on pouring myself a nice chunk of Iron to make the cylinder out of but found a nice big rusty chunk of steel and decided to give it a go. It machines like crap!! Think its hot rolled and im probably going to regret it when I try to finish the bore but well see.
Hmm no gears?? Guess we will have to make them.....

webster4 003.jpg

webster4 002.jpg

webster4 001.jpg

Aonemarine--I owe the engineering Gods a set of gears to keep my karma straight. Someone built me a pair for my first Kerzel engine. Let me check when I get home tonight. If I can do it with 24DP I'll make you a set and send them to you.---Brian

Thanks everyone for all the comments and suggestions.. Looking good Aonemarine. Would aluminum gears work for this? I think i found a set on WM BERG website. Its 19 degrees here today, I don't have enough heater in the shop to keep it warm enough to work in so im staying home today.lol

Latest posts

Back