traction engine to date

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

compound driver

Hi
Just a few pictures of the traction engine not had time to post much more work n such has taken over plus a new grunt to play with too bloody old for tractors and kids.

tractor2.jpg

tractor1.jpg

tractor3.jpg

tractor4.jpg

Cheers kevin

Nice bit of heavy engineering there Kevin.
Looks like you just might have done a bit of this before. :lol:

John

Thanks John.

Just as an idea of size the small ones a 1 inch.

tractor5.jpg

The one in the case was built almost thirty years ago thanks to my brother being given a plastic model of a garret showmans tractor. He refused to use the transfers so I scrounged them and built a coal fired version the same scale as the transfers. Took almost five years all in all. My brother the bugger glued his together in a few weeks! Dont steam it much now too small for my fingers.

garret.jpg

Cheers kevin

Kevin,
People don't seem to understand the scaling of these models. They think that a 2" scale is JUST twice as big, when looking at a plan it just seems a bit bigger, but the models, in volume, are eight times the size, because you double everthing, width, height and length, and in general a much more imposing model. The way you have shown it there shows what is meant to very good effect.
People who have built a 1" scale model in their little workshop, think that they can easily build a 2" scale. What they don't realise is that they would most probably have to scale up their machinery as well.

Keep up the good work

John

Hi John
your not wrong on that also in the equation is how much metals in the model. The 1 inch is about 30 or 40 pounds the 2 inch is over 200lbs.

Machinery wise to just make the wheels I had to put in a much larger Dean Smith and grace lathe to go along side the Bantam.

This all said the larger scales are easier in a lot of ways as the parts are not such a fiddle to make. Im finding that the tender on the 5 inch is heavier but easier to work than the tender on the 2 inch in the pictures.

Cheers kevin

CD,

Very nice workmanship on the rivets and their spacing.

Kenny

Thanks guys,
I have to admit to not enjoying riveting as much as i once did. The 2 inch has about 1400 all in all and depending on how keen i am for detail.

Along side a pair of Fowler A7's and a full size portable the picture bellow is the next big build its 5 inch to the foot.

model08.gif

All my wheels are now rolled and welded I went through many hours of machining in the past making T rings all to end up with the desire never to do them like that again. I made up a ten tonn rolling mill so I can roll the T rings in two bits. Wheels up to 40 inches are now possible thankfully.

Cheers kevin

Latest posts

Back