tools for a newb the essentials.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speedy, I have to agree with Tin on quality tools. I started buying used tools when I was in trade school back in 1956. I bought used Starrett, Brown & Sharp, Lufkin and other top brands. I also bought some new Starrett mics later on when I got working the bucks started coming in. I am still using those tools today and I can't tell the difference in the ones I bought new or used. They still are in perfect condition.

There is the old saw about buying quality stuff:

"When you buy quality, you only cry once."

Good Luck,
Jim

One or more 6" steel rules are a must. Aside from making quick measurements, they are great for setting lathe tools at center height.

Tin Falcon said:
I just about cryed the day I was not paying attention and had a piece of thin brass stock sticking too far out the head stock. I spun up the rpm to polish, the metal bent and gouged a scar in the front of the antique oak machinist chest. I was glad I was not hurt but 60 year old cabinetry does not heal well. Oh well live and learn.

We call that "adding character" or "adding your personal touch" to your tools :D

I think you'd find that the Starrett telescoping gages are worth the extra money. Their accurate use depends greatly on the "feel" you get, and I strongly suspect the $30 set won't give you the same sort of sensitivity.

You'll use a 0-1" mic ALL the time. Get the best. 1"-2" will get used less frequently. Anything larger, hardly ever. You can likely get by with a 0-6" caliper for anything over 1", though you may want to keep an eye out for a good 1"-2" mic.

I think you'd find a set of expanding ball small hole gages useful as well. They typically go from 1/8" to 1/2", at which point the telescoping gages take over. Again, their "feel" is important for best accuracy (as well as practice).

Not sure it's been mentioned, but you'll want a good-quality set of drills, eventually several sets of drills.

Buy good taps and dies and reamers as you need them.

I rarely even get out the 0-1 mic these days. For simple engines and beginner-type projects a cheap digital caliper will get you going and you're unlikely to make parts with better tolerances for a while.. Play with a Mitutoyo though and you'll be saving up for one.

Likewise the hole gages.. I have a set but don't think I've needed them much at all-- usually I drilled the holes and know what size they're supposed to be, or can cut-and-try a part to fit. Holes that are supposed to be a precise size I ream and/or bore. Thus I'd suggest getting a set of reamers-- an over/under set is often on sale at Enco and comes in very handy-- start with the 'under' and you'll find you've often made holes on-size when starting out.

Back