The HM Christmas list

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wareagle

Reaction score
Well, I am sure many of you have the same problem I have... The stuff I want is not affordable for most to give as gifts. And I am also the type of person that will go out and get what I want when I want it (for the most part - I still haven't bought myself that airplane or super car ;)). So what does the guy (or gal) with everything have on a wish list? Here are some thoughts for items that you can ask for that will be of use in your hobby, and that won't cause someone to take out a loan or have to work a second job to pay for...

This is a list that I have come up with, and maybe this will give you some ideas on what to tell someone who asks you what you'd like for Christmas.

Tool bits - can't have enough of them!
Drill bits - always nice to have extras
End Mills - another item that's always usable
1-2-3 blocks - these can be very inexpensive for import stuff
Taps - in common sizes of course (unless you need that special odd ball)
Counter sinks - it's nice to have a sharp one available
Spot drill/counter sink - I use these all the time....
Machinist's flex rule - another item I use often
Mechanical fingers - for picking up those small unreachable items
Scribe - another frequently used tool
Magnets - for holding prints, etc.
Deburring tool - I use it a great deal and can always have another
Files - an easy item for many to find
Markers - always in use in my shop
Safety glasses - the best item I can think of
Shop towels - who doesn't need those
Shop apron - some like 'em, some don't I'd be lost without mine
Raw materials - I have jumped for joy when I opened up a 13" piece of 1.500" bronze! :big:

Plans - surely there's at least one set you'd like to have!
Books - have a title list handy as well as source information
Subscriptions - I always enjoy my metal working mags

My list also has resources for getting these items. I usually give brand info, part/model numbers and prices along with sources to buy the item(s) in my list so that those using it will have all the relevant info available for an easy purchase. Most don't know what an end mill is!!

This is by no means a comprehensive list! Hopefully it will get the ideas flowing and you can prepare a list for anyone who asks (or has asked). Many of my family members tell me that my wish list isn't exciting. My response to them is that these items help keep me going in my limited shop time, and that in itself is very exciting!

Happy Holidays to all!!

Centre punches!
Gift vouchers (I always feel asking for something potentially expensive is a bit off, so vouchers towards is always nice and then the giver can donate what they can afford)

Kits of Dremel accessories
High power LED flashlights
Some good shop knives
Sears screw extractors
Ignition wrenches (do they still make those?) for smaller nuts and bolts

With the advent of the internet, it's easy to give your family members a URL that points to the exact size, model, configuration you want and, of course, they can often purchase directly from the supplied URL.

Something I do with my family is maintain a "no way!" list that includes the ridiculous tools prominently displayed at Xmas time, e.g., the Stanley motorized crescent wrench.

Thanks for the list. As a 'hard-to-buy-for' person ;) I've been told Amazon has a gift-registry service where you can now 'tag' items on any web page to be added to your list. I've not tried it since I don't really want Amazon knowing everything I want, but if you don't mind, it may be a way to go.

What I've been doing is occasionally bookmarking things of interest as I run by them and will later send a list of URLs out to requestors.

WE, like you I have all I want/need except for the big-ticket items. Plus I'm a pretty transparent fellow so if I receive a gift of something I don't really like or want my thoughts are often perceived, which is disappointing to the giver and doubly disappointing to me.

To avoid this problem I have created a simple gift list for my family and friends. It is:
  • Show me your smiling face. Laughter is great but please, no bitching, complaining, whining or moaning.
  • Make something for me using your own artistic ideas and hands.

A lot of people complain about item #2 with "I can't do that I don't have any artistic talent!" to which I respond: BULL-DOO-DOO

Every human being on this planet has artistic talent. Draw me a straight line on a piece of paper, bake me a cake, build me a bird feeder, write me a letter and I can show you how you used artistic thoughts and talent in doing it.

That's it. That's all I want for Christmas.

earl...

I want a necktie with Scooby Doo on it and a few bottles of
cologne that smell like insect repellent.

Might as well wish for for what you know you'll be getting.
It saves you from disappointment! ;)

Rick

baldrocker said:
Where can I get one of those?
BR

Ask around your neighborhood after Xmas. Ask the car guys if they got any really stupid Xmas gifts. You can probably pick one up for a six pack of beer - but, be forewarned, you'll wish you had kept the beer.

BEER and one of those beer holders oh ya and more beer

Okay, since this is a wish (read as: fantasy) list, how about a complete set of taps (tapered, plug and bottoming) & dies for fractional, number size, metric, BA, MPT, SPT, etc threads with the tap & clearance drills for each. Oh, and a full range of fractional, number sized, metric et al reamers (spot on and +/-.005" or the metric equivelent) to go with them. I can't see needing anything over 1/4" or 8mm for either which should make it a lot easier.

A decent stock of materials would be nice too but I won't stretch the fantasy too far.

BEst regards,

Kludge

To Kludge,
How about a set of 8mm collets for a watchmakers lathe, (on E-bay)not from me.
Hilmar

FWIW, I use the holidays to get "pre-approval" from SWMBO to get something big sometime during the year when the right "deal" presents itself.

Another idea I circulated one year (but couldn't get anyone to take me up on it!):

I like having hardware on hand. So I suggested they go to the hardware store, pick any hardware size (e.g. 1/4-20), get a plastic storage box, fill every compartment with a different sized bolt, some nuts, and some washers, and let me have that. Doesn't cost all that much, is satisfyingly heavy, and makes me grin. As I mentioned, that seemed not to appeal to anyone as I haven't gotten the item since.

I have suggested that any rolling tool chest they find on sale that is red (my shop color) is always welcome. One can never have enough storage. I've suggested multi-compartment plastic storage boxs or bins are helpful.

How about one of those electronic label makers? Very handy for helping to organize the shop.

What about the funky stuff you'd like, but haven't been able to bring yourself to buy? An optical center punch, for example. It'd be cool to have one, they aren't that much money in the grand scheme, but I have never bought one for myself. Pick out 3 or 4 such shop gizmos for the list with web links handy. Someone mentioned drill bits. Do you have a screw machine length set yet? I love mine!

Lastly, don't forget SWMBO herself. I got her a Sharper Image toolkit to keep in the kitchen, and she was overjoyed. This was her idea of a great toolkit because it was all right there in a tidy container that could sit in the pantry. Hammer, screwdriver, pliers, and the rest would be up to me to figure out. I was happy because she quit "borrowing" my tools and leaving them in a kitchen drawer. Domestic tranquility. Priceless!

Cheers,

BW

Hilmar said:
How about a set of 8mm collets for a watchmakers lathe, (on E-bay)not from me.

While I have a good set, I'm always open for gap fillers. The 10mm is bare, though, and both need 3 and 4 jaw chucks as well as other special attachments. Likewise my 6mm (Lorch Geneva-type bed) has a good basic set of collets but fillers, chucks, a cross slide and other goodies would always be welcome additions.

Anyone willing to donate, I'll be more than happy to forward my mailing address ... ;D

BEst regards,

Kludge

Latest posts

Back