The Drill Doctor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my DD500X this afternoon. Got 122 bits sharpened so far. It has already paid for itself now. Glad this thread was started.

Ray

I have had the 750 classic every scence sears started carring them. it worked fine right out of the box. came with 2 chucks and a fine wheel installed anda corse wheel. Never needed to try the corse wheel the fine has worked fine up to 3/4" bits. I only buy the cheaper jobber drills now a couple of twist in the DD and thay as good as any. And it would be real simple to make a wheel puller if nedded.

I have the 750X, and while it is useful its definitely not fool proof, I do need to keep an eye on it. Cleanliness of the chuck is one thing, the other is have the adjustment screw so that you have the shortest amount of drill bit sticking out of the chuck and yet still reach the grinding wheel. I was finding that if I had too much drill out of the chuck I was sometimes getting negative rake right on the cutting edge, only 10thou or so but enough that the shiny freshly ground bit would not cut. That was a real head scratcher until I started looking at the edges with a strong magnifying glass.

For that reason, when I think I've got a good grind I usually dye the end of the bit, reset it in the collet, then give it a couple more twists in the DD and check that I don't have a fine line of dye along the cutting edge

I've been hand shapening forever - including split points - flat ends - whathaveyou. But the MkI eyeballs just aint what they used to be.

Every drill grinding gizmo I have ever tried (apart from real serious industrial stuff) has been a dissapointment.

I have been eyeing a Drill Doctor (suspiciously) for some time - thanks for the thread guys - I think I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and buy one.

A question...

Will that diamond coated wheel handle solid carbide drills - it should - does anyone have any experience ?

Regards,
Ken

Do not see why not. my DD has a masonry bit setting (carbide tip). And diamond wheel is designed for carbides not steel.
Tin

I have never sharppened carbided drill bits with it but I use it all the time to sharpen those cheap chinese boring bars that I sometimes use. I just take the cover of the DD and stick the boaring bar into the small diamond wheel. I have sharpened about 35 boring bars with it several times and it still works great sharpening the drill bits too. I have the 750.

i bought one yesterday -- mainly because of what I read here. I will play with it this weekend...

take care,

tom in MA.

Small bits and short bits can be sharpened with the Drill doctor. I drilled a #57 drill in one end of a 5/16" x4" scrap round stock. On the other end the hole is #53 drill.On the round side I drilled and tapped 5/44x1/8" set screws to hold the drill.
Now the drill bit can be inserted and turned holding the round stock to engage the flute clamps.I have made several of these scrap tools. The #57 drill works for #57-58-59 and 60.The #54 also works for #55 and 56 drills. I made enough to go down to 1/16" .The set screws should be close to one end so small drills can be extended enough to sharpen.
I had contacted Drill Doctor at one time offering this method. I figured they could either add it to the original tool or just instructions on making it.Although many users do not have the tooling to make it. They weren't really interested,most people do not use the small drills and when they get dull or break buy new ones.
Hopefully this will help someone .

Do you have a photo to help visualize?

I am very interested in what you have to say...

take care,
tom in MA

I got a Drill Doctor for Christmas and tried it out this morning. I sharpened a couple of sets of old drill bits and they all came out very good.

I got the low-end model on sale at Lowes for $35 recently. It did resurrect a few old bits, but the finish seems pretty coarse.

I picked up a Drill doctor a couple weeks ago and am happy with it. I do wish the grinding wheel was a finer grit,however it does seem to be getting better with use. The more I use it the better the finish gets.

Got one for Xmas and just got round to trying it out.

Like smfr I found the finish to be a little coarse - probably just the "sharp" diamond wheel and should improve with use as mentioned by Lampy.

I am impressed by the simplicity of it - but still does an excellent job.

I resharpened my carbide drills (chipped from drilling out all sorts of broken things) - worked fine.

I must admit that I was skeptical (every other drill sharpening gizmo I have tried has been a fiasco) but I'm converted - I'm impressed.

Ken

Based on this thread, I decided to get one. eBay, $35 shipped. Frankly, I was expecting to be disappointed, but wow! I'm convinced that I should have gotten one years ago, as I would have saved quite a few bits that I broke because they were dull.

Very impressed with the finish I got, and the angles appear to be right on. Tried a sharpened one in the lathe, and it cuts better than new, with the curls coming off evenly and smoothly. I'm a believer!

So now I am getting interested. Which model are you talking about? The 500 or 750?

This thread got me to look at Craigslist for one. I got lucky - got a 750 for $45 from a guy in Philly - almost brand new. Set it up, tried it on an epically dull bit - it worked like a charm! Next weekend, I'll be going over all my old bits.

vcutajar said:
So now I am getting interested. Which model are you talking about? The 500 or 750?

They are the same unit, the 500 includes a holding collet for up to 1/2" (.500") while the 750 includes a collet for up to 3/4" (.750").

Cheers

Jeff

Back