the cringle engine. virtical steam

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As John says this is best made as is, you could aways just swap over the A frame and add the reversing gear at a later date once this one is up and running.

Have a look at the marine engines on this site as they tend to have reversing gear more often than the small workshop engines, several similar shape to yours with a bracket at the top of the A frame that should not be too hard to add to the pattern.

http://prestonservices.co.uk/category/steam-engines/marine-engines/

Cheers jason some real works of art there! Realy inspiring never even herd of a quad expanshion engine, i think a double cylinder with reverse my be next ☺. I just made the gland followers today took a while using the castings had to face off then drill and tap undersize then screw to a bolt/mandrell to turn the other side then turn it again to open to 6mm 20150907_111802.jpg

20150907_115010.jpg

20150907_124845.jpg

Attachments

• 20150907_124948.jpg
    20150907_124948.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 339
  • 20150907_153050.jpg
    20150907_153050.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 345
  • 20150907_154148.jpg
    20150907_154148.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 331
Good day

I am also following your project and I am really impressed with your castings, do you have you own little foundry/furnace?

Cheers albert yeh i made my own from a empty propane tank and scrap with perlite and fire cement mix for a liner and a cheep hairdryer. il get some pics of it. If any one want to learn casting i highly recomend watching myfordboys and tubalcanes videos on youtube better than any books ive read i ow them a big thanku. Any ways just finished the valve today and made a quick plastic piston and boddged a old sawing machine flywheel for testing. I just set the eccentric 90° ish and the vale to middle and it started first time on less than 20 psi even without gaskets it can run realy nice and slow prob 60 rpm on less than 10 psi☺������ im well pleased its gona have quite some power il try post a video

Luke,

Absolutely wonderful!!

It is really nice to see someone going from raw materials to a finished engine. Looking forwards to Mk II.

Can you tell us the bore and stroke, plus the overall height?

John

Cheers albert yeh i made my own from a empty propane tank and scrap with perlite and fire cement mix for a liner and a cheep hairdryer. il get some pics of it. If any one want to learn casting i highly recomend watching myfordboys and tubalcanes videos on youtube better than any books ive read i ow them a big thanku. Any ways just finished the valve today and made a quick plastic piston and boddged a old sawing machine flywheel for testing. I just set the eccentric 90° ish and the vale to middle and it started first time on less than 20 psi even without gaskets it can run realy nice and slow prob 60 rpm on less than 10 psi☺������ im well pleased its gona have quite some power il try post a video

Wonderful

Would you mind sharing all of it with me?

Regards

Albert

Cheers john the height is about 13 inch, cylinder 48mm x 56 stroke. Albert il take some pics when i can remember. Today i have just finished the piston (rings and counter bore for lock nuts)then fine tuned it a bit running a lot smother then deassembled to clean up and paint 20150909_165244.jpg

Nearly finished now all all painted and polished. Still nead to make a nice flywheel just ordered all brass dome nuts and going to make a brass displacement oiler and oil pots for the bearing housing for a bit more shine☺ but not going to have much time for this sa start new job monday.20150912_115813.jpg

20150912_161624.jpg

20150912_161644.jpg

20150912_161718.jpg

Very nice, darwenguy. Quite similar to the '47 C.W. Woodson vertical I'm building.

Can't wait to see what you come up with for a flywheel.

Good lick on the new job!

Chuck

Looking good, Will you cast the flywheel and if so can you melt enough brass or will it be ali with a weighted rim?

J

If the standard for your engine is cast aluminum, did you sleeve the bore for the cross head? What material is your crosshead made from?
My cylinder and standard are cast aluminum, though I haven't cast the standard yet. I sleeved the cylinder and am thinking I will have to sleeve the bore on the standard as well.
Chuck

Back