Tesla Turbine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cast some covers yesterday. They turned out great!!! I'll post some pictures soon.

I'm drawing the case up with Mastercam. I was having troubles getting the base like I want it, so I didn't get to machine it yet. I stumped the instructor so he's going to look into it for me. It will look pretty nice when done though.

I'm thinking about making the exhaust cover out of Plexyglass? I think it would look neat to be able to see the discs spinning.

Here are a couple pictures of those bearing covers that I cast. I did a bronze one also. They look a little rough because the of the finish I used on my pattern. They will clean up fine with some steel wool. I finished it with tung oil and the sand wanted to stick to it for some reason? I'll go over it with some polyurethane and make the surface nice and slick. It will come out of the sand better then.

Teslaturbine009.jpg

Teslaturbine008.jpg

I cant wait to get the rest of the bits for this engine together.

During the first semester of school, I made the cap for my Tesla turbine. We had trouble getting the drawing sorted out on the case of the engine. Tuesday I finished the drawing and I'll try and machine the cast patterns during the next couple of classes. The drawing turned out really good:O)

Wes

We are learning Mastercam. It is a great Program! Lots of stuff to know though. The base for my turbine even stumped the instructor for a bit:O) But we got it figured out.

Wes

Here are a couple of quick pictures. The first is just starting the cuts. The second is the finish pass. The bottom was a bit choppy. I could have narrowed the step over a bit to fix it, but I'll just sand it a bit:O)

TeslaTurbine0001.jpg

TeslaTurbine0002.jpg

I'll get some more pictures later.

Wes

This is a pattern to be cast? Just out of curiosity, why not CNC it in the metal you want to avoid the extra step of casting? Or is this a just because you can endeavor?

Eric

Yes, its a pattern. I really like the way cast parts look. Casting metal is also another hobby of mine. I also plan on selling a few kits to help finance my hobby's:O) That is why i did so many flywheel patterns last semester.

Wes

Powder keg said:
Yes, its a pattern. I really like the way cast parts look. Casting metal is also another hobby of mine. I also plan on selling a few kits to help finance my hobby's:O) That is why i did so many flywheel patterns last semester.

Wes

Very good answer. I completely understand about financing the hobby...

Eric

Here are the two half's together. I'll pin them and finish sand them soon. I think this will work pretty good. The base is a little fatter than I wanted. I might file it down and shape it a bit?

TeslaTurbine0003.jpg

Making these patterns on the CNC's has been fun. It is neat to be able to draw something up and have it appear on the mill table out of a chunk of stock.

Later, Wes

I have the two half's of the housing pinned together now. I'll start filing and sanding this pattern down. I think I'm going to streamline the base a bit? My back yard is dry now, so I can start casting again. Yahoo!!!!

On Saturday a friend and I went to Prove, Utah to visit Birk and Guy Francis. We had a great time!!! During our visit, Birk went over riveting with me. I think I am going to try and rivet the discs together. This is supposed to make the discs more stable. It was easier than I thought it would be:eek:)

Later, Wes

Very cool.

I wish I was close enough to visit with Birk as well... I am envious of you and Guy.

Can't wait to see the turbine. Take lots of pics of the casting please

Eric

I'm afraid that if we were closer Birk would get tired of me soon. We had a 3 hour drive.

I'll take plenty of pictures:eek:)

Hi

The tesla turbine is also a theme in another, german discussion board.
And there was a guy who lasered some disks. And as he thougt other would also want to build a tesla turbine, he lasered in the end something about 7 sets for a tesla turbine. The disks are made of 1.4305 so they are able to withstand up to 60'000 rpm. (He calculated it...). The point is, i also ordered one set. And i already made some 3-D CAD drawings:

347_00a3f21d47e3ab75f0fb63746fe301dd.jpg

347_8af34dbfef45257b290b2e40aff3d5c9.jpg

And here the discs with spacers and some raw material for the spindle and the disc retainer.

347_e139c080f73f4b8146a6791d303dab6c.jpg

Florian

Very interesting!

Given the desirability of laser cut disks, this would be another design particularly well suited to a Team Build format.

Cheers,

BW

BobWarfield said:
Very interesting!

Given the desirability of laser cut disks, this would be another design particularly well suited to a Team Build format.

Cheers,

BW

Of course.

I have also Plans from the guy who organized these discs. (However, i am not going to build it from these plans...)
If anyone here wants them (just for their own use!!), i can send a .pdf with the plans and calculations (german language...).

Florian

I built the tesla turbine that was in the homeshop machinest a few years ago. It is a fast and smooth runner with the ball bearings. I built mine 1/2 the side in the book.

P1010016.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010013.jpg

Latest posts

Back