Terrible postal service.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

I had a couple of bits turn up today that I had ordered from the US.

The postman gave me the most expensive one, the bits for 5 Halo radials from Lance at Liney. He also gave me a postcard. The other package was at the main post office, ten minutes drive away, and it closes at 12 on a Saturday. This was at 11:40am. So mad rush to get there before it closes.

Charges to pay, £11-76p.
£3-76p value added tax from customs (fair cop), £8 charge from the post office for sending me a postcard to tell me it was in their posession (extortion).

If the bits weren't important I would have told the gent behind the counter where to stick them. It was his smirk showing that he had ripped me off that really got to me.

At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask when he robbed people.

Here are the very expensive bits.

USBits.jpg

Unhappy, ripped off Bogs

Whose engines are going to look right pretty with all those fancy elbows and tee's then?? 8)
Regards Ian.

Ian,

General stock mainly, now that I have found a supplier, I can get them anytime, so I don't have to ration them to specific engines.

But a few will first be used for blinging a poppet valve engine that I nearly completed last year.

John

Well, they've got to fund your health insurance some way, John. :) $16 (no pound key on my keyboard) is what, two, three beers? Outrageous.

Tell me, if some individual (as opposed to a corporation) sends you a package from the USA, do you still have to go through the VAT/customs nonsense?

The only man in Parliament who knew what he was doing was Guy Fawkes.

Marv,

As far as I know, if it is a standard letter you have it weighed and then sent after giving them the correct postage. If the letter or package has a bit extra inside, it has to be delared on a customs form and then if it is valued below 18 pounds ($36) it has no charges attached when it goes thru customs, if it is above that figure, even by a few cents, the package is then liable for tax on the full value. It just depends how well the customs man got on with his wife the night before.

Lance always grossly undervalues the parts, so I don't pay duty.

You will find that a lot of US suppliers won't bend the truth for you, so you get knobbled at every opportunity.

Ian,

That trick only works sometimes, they have really clamped down now (government is broke), and if they suspect anything, they can confiscate it, or charge you duty on their valuation. It works better going from this country outwards, but who wants to pay our prices.

Bogs

One trick I use is to get the parts sent to an un named company in Arizona [ Hi Bill ] who then re parcels them and sends them as "Replacement for damaged goods FOC "

Bogs, any chance of a close up of the elbows and tees, I may have an idea.

Bogstandard said:
That trick only works sometimes, they have really clamped down now (government is broke), and if they suspect anything, they can confiscate it, or charge you duty on their valuation. It works better going from this country outwards, but who wants to pay our prices.

Ummm ... someone who can only find what he wants in England? You know, like that idiot Kludge. :)

BEst regards,

That idiot

I don't think you get charged on second hand goods.

I've sent a few second hand items to collectors in the UK and so far none of them have had to pay the fees and they were all over £18.

The Australian government is much more reasonable as long as the item is under $1000 including postage no tax is applied.

Back