Temporary fix.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bernd said:
Yup, 16 threads per inch. Now this is on a 10 year old machine. They may have up graded it. This was one reason I could never cut a decent single pointed thread.

Bernd, I don't understand why you think you can't cut good threads because you have a 16tpi lead screw. I have two lathes that have that pitch on the lead screw. They both cut threads like nobodys business.

Dean

I'll chime in...but remember I just started any kind of metal working 10 months ago...(and look where it's gotten me!)...

I got the 7x12...I saw how popular it was...it was 'low' cost...I could get it in the house on my own...it was a low risk approach to seeing if this hobby was for me.

But as they say...expect to spend some time adjusting it. I haven't found that particularly aggravating..yet.

If you're not sure about pursuing this as a hobby...it's a good way to go...low risk. But if you're sure this hobby is what you want...then go bigger. I'm pretty bought in...and now my lathe looks a little 'toyish' to me. I'm wanting a 9 or 10x.

Deanofid said:
Bernd, I don't understand why you think you can't cut good threads because you have a 16tpi lead screw. I have two lathes that have that pitch on the lead screw. They both cut threads like nobodys business.

Dean

Really never investigated the reason why. Didn't find out they were 16 threads until I started tearing it apart and decided to count the threads. Baiscally it's not a true inch machine. After one inch of travel you would have gone an extra .016" of and inch. So I would think that the pitch wouldn't have been right on a 1/4-20 thread.

Now I'm only guessing here. I do remember I had the proper gears on according to the chart. But I'm not going to worry about it now because I'm going to add a seperate motor to drive the lead screw. I won't be doing any thread cutting on that machine. It'll be reserved for the Logan.

Regards,
Bernd

OK sounds like the leadscrew is really metric and was sold as english

Blogs ran into trouble with a Asian Lathe not too long ago...Perhaps its the same issue.

The pitch of the screw doesn't really matter as long as the gearing is appropriate. However,,, if the pitch is really 1.5mm (.03934* 1.5 = .059" instead of 16 threads per inch ( .0625") then you will have trouble. My Logan is 8 threads/inch and my old Atlas was 16 threads /inch, and both function perfectly...

Dave

My two cents worth. ;D I would buy the biggest lathe you can afford cause no matter what you buy it will be too small for some job you would like to do.
I got the 4003 from Grizzly and am very pleased with it its a 12 X 36 and will do all the little jobs plus some of the bigger stuff that will come up (believe me it happens). ::)

Let's just say I tried a few times to cut threads. Since it wasn't working out on the Grizzly I decided that as long as I could turn parts and run a die to thread anything I was happy.

Bernd

If you have never used a lathe before then starting with a minilathe may be a good idea. I did this myself and still have it. I also bought the Grizzly G0602 for a Christmas present to myself. This is the 10x22 lathe. Quite an upgrade from the minilathe. This lathe was only $1025.00 and free shipping over the holidays.
If you are familiar with lathes then I would skip the minilathe and go for the 10x22 or larger lathe.
I used the minilathe for about a year before deciding a bigger lathe was what I needed. I'm am not sorry I bought the minilathe as I was a novice to metal turning when I started .Doesn't take up much room, does good accurate work and comes in handy for the small stuff. I haven't decided whether to sell it or keep it.
The only problem I see with getting a small lathe first, is tooling. You will probably spend at least another $300.00 on tooling and accesories that are too small for larger lathes.
mike

The only problem I see with getting a small lathe first, is tooling. You will probably spend at least another $300.00 on tooling and accesories that are too small for larger lathes
I agree with what kwoodhands said.
My feeling is to allow a couple hundred $$ for accessories on top of the price of the lathe. Get the ONE lathe you want, then some good tooling to go with it:

quick change toolpost $100+
drill chuck
4-jaw (maybe included in lathe package)
Test and dial indicators and bases
turning & facing tools
drills
taps & dies
reamers
boring tools
files
cutting fluids and lubrication

See, it's easy to get way over budget. I've got 7x and a 9-20 HF lathes. Both have their ups and minuses. The bigger lathe just has more power and mass than the smaller 7x, makes flywheels and larger parts less of a PITA.

Good luck on your purchase, let us know how it works out.

DB

Latest posts

Back